Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The City of Edmonton has now spoken, time to get these contracts signed and let's get the LRT construction going ASAP.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• Agreed!
      "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Mandel wants LRT plan by Christmas
        Construction costs for Edmonton southeast LRT extension lower than expected
        BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM
        OCTOBER 20, 2010 12:13 PM

Mayor Stephen Mandel hopes to have a plan in place by Christmas to pay for construction of the new southeast LRT line.

“I want to really get going quickly on a funding formula for LRT to Mill Woods. I think our citizens really want us to get going on that,” Mandel said Wednesday.

“Everybody has accepted where it’s going to go.”

The original cost estimate for the work was $900 million to $1.2 billion.

Mandel has estimated declining construction prices mean it can probably be done for $850 million, a figure transportation officials confirm is now within the range they expect to pay.
        Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...800/story.html

Go do it!
        Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

• beat me to it. Just read the whole thing. I really like the "get to work" message and the urgency. I also like the "board to oversee" idea. It's all about getting this done and also cashing in on the public support of LRT construction that clearly distinguished Mandel from Dorward as the second big difference between the two.

Comment

• Yip, although why not consider PPPing the entire line including WLRT, or even the entire network (with Sherwood Park, St Albert, downtown connector through Whyte, etc.)? The political will is there, why not make the most of it?

Comment

• If everything gets merged into one attempt at pushing it through council and one part hits a snag, it could sink the whole thing. I'm sure he'll push for the next part of the system asap as well.
              Blog: http://www.stormbrew.ca/ | Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stormbrew

Comment

• I'm so happy that Mandel is still our mayor and I'm very excited that he's already talking about further fast tracking of our LRT. With luck this will all get approved and we will see shovels in the ground later next year.

On a sidenote, I am quite curious about the Whitemud Amusement park and am wondering if they have any plans of trying to relocate somewhere nearby to their current location.
                LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• Just a thought - While it obviously make sense for SELRT to have it's own storage and maintenance facility for the new low-floor vehicles, there's also a building at DL Macdonald (the right-of-way building) that's full of equipment for fixing track, like grinding frails and tamping ballast. All of those things will need to be done on the new track too, but there isn't any planned track connection, as far as I know. Would it be worthwhile (cost effective) to build a single-track connection between the two systems to enable the equipment to move between the two?

Comment

• Originally posted by highlander View Post
                    Would it be worthwhile (cost effective) to build a single-track connection between the two systems to enable the equipment to move between the two?
                    I would have thought so, perhaps connecting around 95 street. I guess its a trade off between that extra track cost versus any maintenance synergies.

Comment

• I'm not sure how much of an advantage an interchange track would be to connect the two systems. Some of that will depend on the selected vehicles and their electrical requirements.

If they use the same electrical system then there are advantages, however the D.L. MacDonald barns don't have a lot of extra room, so we need to build new ones anyways. But if they go with Seimens vehicles there can be some savings in only one maintenance shop with the Millwoods barns being for storage and cleaning.

Comment

• ^ It will also depend on the wheel base of the trains that the city choses to go with. For a system like this, they may want to go with a narrower base which I believe would allow for tighter turning radii.

Comment

• I truly hope not RTA, standard gauge is far cheaper in the long run as it gives you the most flexibility for rolling stock. You could theoretically run a TGV on on LRT system (okay not the tunnels and probably would be too high)

Toronto went with a weird wide gauge for their subway, the Scarborough RT is standard gauge. New Orleans street cars are a wide gauge as well and they have some tight corners in downtown.

Comment

• ^I'd rather see the narrow wheelbase, all the manufacturers seem to make them. Note - does narrow wheelbase = narrow gague? Im not so sure, I think it might just mean a slimmer train.

Comment

• Oh I get what you're saying distance between trucks rather then gauge, duh dumb me. Yup wheel base is an important factor for turning radii (radiuses sounds so much better)

Side view
                              (o)(o) <---- Wheel base ---> (o)(o)

Front (back) view
                              |-----------|
                              <-gauge->

Comment

• Sorry, I did mean gauge myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X