Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the end, it all boils down to good/cheap/fast choose 2 and you would choose 2 and complain about not getting 3, just read your signature. Advocating for good/fast/cheap
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
      Medwards thinks that is fake news.

I had talked with affected business owners and these construction closures are murderous to small businesses. My wife used to manage a bookstore in the Highstreet and I helped in the store on many occasions so I have first hand knowledge of the importance of walk-in traffic, parking availability and the like. I remember when the landlord changed the parking lot, adding a few reserved signs for the professional offices above. Suddenly customers complained about having to park more than a block away, people came to pick up orders and did not come in. When we called them, we were told that they came, found no parking and went home. We would ship their order by courier at our cost or I would drive to their house and drop it off.

Retail business often survives on less than a 10% net profit. Cutting your walk-in traffic by 50% for an entire year, a season or even just a month can kill even the most resilient business. When businesses close, especially small independently owned restaurants, cafe's, retail shops etc., someone's dream of owning a small business dies. Many will never be able to do it again and the financial effect can be devastating..

Remember, while business are affected by the construction, their rent does not go down, their staff need to be paid unless they are forced to layoff people. Also the COE still demands that the business pay their property taxes. The COE makes little effort to protect businesses or offer compensation during the closures.
      Thanks for the completely unnecessary trivial anecdotal recollection. Amusing read, but im not disagreeing that businesses are affectsd by road closures from construction. I agree. There is definitely some hardship upon those businesses especially if they rely on customers coming from the road.

Im disagreeing with your idea that the contractor was a sloth. Good/fast/cheap. We choose good and cheap. Thats what was supplied.
      Last edited by Medwards; 07-08-2019, 12:03 PM.
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• It looks to me as if they’ve added iron on the north side of the North Saskatchewan bridge in preparation for the LRT bridge.
        "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Just walked by the site. The Nook is still pretty accessible. and if some of their clientele comes from the Fed building it should be easier now since the road is closed to traffic and you are not going to get run over.

Quite noisy on that corner now though with the LRT and Winspear construction started.

Comment

• Well lets just hope they will be just as quick with this intersection as with the other two that they have done. I wonder if they will try and complete any of the sections berween the intersection anytime soon?

I am quite curious how long it will take for everyone to get used to the elimination of the traffic circle.
            LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• So I had to check out the new intersection in action on Friday and it seems ok to me. Not all of it was fully open yet, such as the free flow lane from connors to 83st. I saw 1 car a bit confused what lane to be in going through the intersection but otherwise it seem fairly smooth sailing so far.
              LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• My guess is that 90 Avenue traffic will pick up too.

Comment

• Intersection is bad right now, paving not completed, and going through north from Connors road would bottom out a lot of vehicles. Fortunately I spotted the multiple hazards. Terrible signage as well. Take an exit, any exit...its a guessing game.

A lot of the LRT line the adjacent roads are in such awful condition that just closing them might be preferable. Or warnings of deplorable road conditions. By no means is any of this what people would even reasonably expect of an in city construction zone.
                  "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

• LRT Update: http://transformingedmonton.ca/takin...east-update-2/

Comment

• Looks like things are moving along, slowly but surely.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Man From YEG View Post

Wait until you see the insanity later this month when they rip out the intersection at Scona Road and Saskatchewan Drive to take away the dedicated lane that that construction created in order to take out the centre island and put in new lights to make the turn off of Scona Road onto Saskatchewan Drive a complete right angle one.

You can't make this kind of stupidity up....
                        This is an April Fool's joke right? Spend millions to totally screw things up.

That intersection isn't a problem in need of a solution.

And what you describe is 100% NOT a solution.
                        ... gobsmacked

Comment

• Unfortunately the city plans to do exactly what YEG said. I believe in 5 years there have been no accidents at that right turn location

Comment

• I would assume that some consultant declared in an extremely expensive traffic/pedestrian safety report for the CoE that the crosswalk there is extremely dangerous and why won't somebody think of the children and now here we are.

Sort of reminds me of how they completely redid the on-ramp to 106th ave when coming off the Gretzky, to make it less of a smooth merge and more of a hard right turn into traffic. While I understand the design principle behind it of making people take the turn into traffic on 106th ave much slower, which gives people more time and awareness to do things safely, I honestly cannot imagine it was any sort of high collision spot that warranted the millions that was likely spent on it--especially when there is so much more critical road infrastructure improvement that it could have gone to.
                            I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Comment

• "Across the river, near the bottom of the Connors Road Hill, the existing pedestrian bridge is being replaced. The new structure, named the Kȃhasinȋskȃk Pedestrian Bridge, will allow pedestrians and cyclists to cross the new LRT tracks and Connors Road, maintaining access to the river valley trail system. Soil anchors and concrete have been installed along the south abutment.

Kȃhasinȋskȃk is the Cree word for Stony Creek, which was the original name of Mill Creek."

Hey, I'm all for giving some love to our indigenous peoples in regards to naming things in recognition of they and their culture, but this one is going to be a challenge.

Comment

• Much like that more common pesky word...
                                Saskatchewan.

Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Working...
                                X