Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to recommend this to the city years ago and got a thanks but no thanks in reply:

Run MW LRT across the High Level using the existing ROW to the old Strathcona CP station - then down what appears to be an old ROW near 68th avenue to the south end of Mill Creek Ravine, which is the north end of 91st Street. From there, take it down the middle of 91st Street all the way to Ellerslie Road (if you like).

People could connect to the University or further downtown at Grandin Station.

Not much ROW would have to be purchased, and it would follow (for the most part) existing medium or high density development.

Not as dense as city planners think I am, however..........
    ... gobsmacked

Comment

I dont understand why we need LRT every 20 blocks apart. We aren't that dense of the city (In reference to the "91st" alignment to millwoods) Look people - the city can barely find room on the budget for the current line construction - but yet we want to build another southern line 20 blocks away from the one that is being built down 111st? Makes no sense.

Drop a line from the current SLRT...

Now if we hadn't already started on this line - I would've preferred this alignment - but we have to work with what we have already...
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

What about a branch route from Southgate to Millgate, and beyond? Already most of the buses within Millwoods travel between Millgate and Millwoods Town Centre...

The LRT could run parallel to 51 Avenue, serve the industrial parks there, and go further east to where that new power centre is at 17 Street and Whitemud... you could probably even have the LRT run in the median at Whitemud after 34th Street and have a station at 17 Street.

Bad idea or good idea?

Comment

hmmm.... I don't know if running through an industrial park is the best way to attract riders. I would much rather see the LRT run east west along either 81st or 83rd Avenue.

Comment

The Legend of Millwoods LRT promise.

It was most recently raised in Councillor Bryan Anderson's ill-concieved idea that building a arena along the henday somwhere in the southeast, and then building LRT to it.

He stated that Millwoods was supposed to get the original LRT line.

Is there any substance behind this myth? Was a promise made? is it based only on conceptual maps from the 60s? why was millwoods supposed to be first? After all, the ancient LRT plans showed routes to jasper place and riverbend, too. or is it just an urban legend that refuses to die?

Comment

No, nothing in the original plans stated that the Millwoods line would be first.

This is completely bunk.
              LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesC
                No, nothing in the original plans stated that the Millwoods line would be first. This is completely bunk.
                I thought it was one of the original goals, if not a specific plan. Not first, but definitley an important priority, Millwoods is our largest neighborhood after all, and it is South of the river, which means LRT should help alleviate the downtown commute / bridge issues. A bit emarrassing they do not already have LRT.

Seems sad to me that Millwoods is dropping off the radar now though. While I don't want an Arena on the AH as an excuse to get it- Millwoods IMO needs LRT before proposed or possible new neighborhoods do. I fear Millwoods will not happen soon though, as there is probably not enough money or kudos to be made building new mega developments in Millwoods versus other locations. Such projects can provde the loby fuel necessary to win LRT access, which is my guess why some may be looking in desperation at an AH arena.

Comment

I was one of the original goals, yes, but Millwoods wasn't ever first in line in any long term LRT plan.

Whether it should have been or not is not under debate her. Highlander asked what the history of the plans were.

Comment

The original line was planned to go exactly where it is now going, however at the people of Millwoods have been frequently "reassured" that they were getting a line, as early as the original section opening in 1977. It might be embellishment on Anderson's part to imply there was a real planned commitment, but there is some real truth in it. Many people were given reason to believe it was coming.

But they do keep getting pushed to the end of the line, while having very legitimate commuting pressure and noticably heavy transit ridership. (Certainly higher than the Southwest, which is now getting the SLRT.)

NAIT and WEM in 10 years? St. Albert and YEG now seem on the "real radar" So Millwoods either gets lumped in on the end of SLRT, slowing their commutes and crowding Century Park's service, or they wait maybe 25 (more) years.

My heart goes out, but that's not where I'm going to move.
                    Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

they should build a 23ave line from MWTC to rabbit hill road. then it could go north along terwillegar/whitemud and connect up at south campus.

Comment

Originally posted by mark
                        they should build a 23ave line from MWTC to rabbit hill road. then it could go north along terwillegar/whitemud and connect up at south campus.
                        ...in the process going right by Century Park?

Comment

Originally posted by bagould
                          Originally posted by mark
                          ...in the process going right by Century Park?
                          yup, but not without the ability for people to switch lines, obviously.

Comment

I think the 23ave from MWTC to Century Park has been proposed before, but this is the first I've seen anyone suggest it go into Riverbend. I'm not opposed to that, but does anybody in Riverbend even ride transit? Naturally more would if they had LRT direct DT via South Campus like you suggest, but there again, Millwoods is still getting ignored for direct service and the Middle Southeast is still going completely unserved, while the 8 is maybe the crushest route in the system.

Look, I hate to repeat this, but is this not a situation tailor made for megatrolleys? We could get the wires up in one year for basically no cost, relatively speaking, have decent service as soon as New Flyer (or whomever) can get us a full fleet, and by the time Millwoods' turn for LRT finally comes up in 2 decades or whatever, the fleet we buy for them would be ready for retirement anyway.

In the same timeframe we can even use them on the 23ave and Riverbend routes you suggest or into Sherwood Park (if they ever get a mayor who acknowledges that they're somewhat near Edmonton.)

Why prolong the wait ad infinitum? Why keep ignoring trolleys? I love LRT as much as anyone, I swear, but let's be realistic. It takes time and money, and the need is already there.
                            Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Strangely enough...I think the SE quadrant is the place where BRT, megatrolleys, whatever, is the best transit solution due to the constraints of punching an LRT ROW through extremely dense old neighbourhoods.

Comment

I don`t see SE the ROW as the problem, there are some pretty wide corridors with service routes on either side of the street, if you`re going the connors hill route. If you go with the highlevel route, ROW is even less of a concern. I see the problem as access to downtown either via the high level - currently reserved by the prov for HST - or any other route that then has to contend with the valley.

Comment

Working...
                                X