This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valley Line LRT | Downtown to Millwoods | Under Construction

Currently LRT is being built to Century Park, there has been more and more talk about LRT north to NAIT, and there are many that would like to see LRT going West to WEM. What I would like to toss into the ring is what about LRT to Millwoods.

Millwoods and it's surrounding communities are getting bigger and bigger. Housing has long jumped over AHD and gone past Ellerslie Road, maybe eventually trying to push right out to Beaumont and Nisku. At the same time housing and devellopment has been pushing closer and closer to highway 14 to soon meet up with Sherwood Park. The commercial and industrial area between 91st and 103st is filling up quick. What would be wrong with having an LRT line going into millwoods. Could a line be branched off at Century Park? Would it be better to come directly from the downtown on a new bridge accross the river and where would it go? Could a new massive park and ride facility be built at a LRT terminal to better accomodate all the people from Millwoods and surrounding SE communities that clog up 50st, 75st, 91st every morning heading downtown and other destinations north?

Just like the west end, millwoods has been waiting for LRT for a long long time. Rather than a BRT line running down 50th or 75th why not an LRT line. I think the amount of ETS busses travelling out of millwoods warrents looking at the SE side of the city for a new or an extension line for LRT.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

A line from WEM through downtown, and heading south-east to Millwoods would be the ideal.... a nice match to the existing north east to south line

Comment

First thought -

What if we ran the SLRT to AHD/TUC, then ran it east to 66st or 50 st.
      We could have stations near each major road such as 91st, 66st, 50st and eventually 34st, 17st.... Sherwood park part 3... (lol)

Wouldn't that be much cheaper and faster to build then 23ave/28ave alignment?
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Cheaper and faster should not necessarily be the main consideration. We've got to look at the system that we want to end up with, not simply "what can we build quickly?"

I would much rather see a new line come south from downtown through the bonnie doon area into Millwoods and have that line (as well as the current line) intersected by an east west line.

Comment

yes, we should be careful about wishing for a single line snaking through the whole city. there should be a few lines eventually built to connect downtown with every part of the city.

Comment

I'm iffy about the idea of extending the sLRT to Millwoods or along the Henday with a bunch of park & rides clogging it up. A Millwoods extension would be acceptable if it was part of a circular route that went from sLRT at Century Park to Millwoods Town Centre then up to Bonnie Doon and back downtown.
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
              I'm iffy about the idea of extending the sLRT to Millwoods or along the Henday with a bunch of park & rides clogging it up. A Millwoods extension would be acceptable if it was part of a circular route that went from sLRT at Century Park to Millwoods Town Centre then up to Bonnie Doon and back downtown.
              I like the idea of a circular route, this has great potential to reduce pressure on our bridges, picking up commuters through the South Side. In an ideal world, we could keep expanding the Southern route while at the same time starting another LRT expansion elsewhere in the city at the same time.

Comment

How would you extend a circular route as the city expands outward?

Comment

Originally posted by IKAN104
                  Why do we want the city to expand outwards on the South Side? Isn't this already causing a mess for people (making roads busier), and resulting in massive infrastructure costs (like the interchange's on Gateway)?

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter
                    Why do we want the city to expand outwards on the South Side? Isn't this already causing a mess for people (making roads busier), and resulting in massive infrastructure costs (like the interchange's on Gateway)?
                    inevitably, the city will expand. Not much we can do to stop it. Might as well have a system that will be easy to grow. Its funny, the same people that don't want the city to grow further outwards are that same ones the oppose intensification in their neighbourhoods.
                    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by feepa
                      Originally posted by moahunter
                      inevitably, the city will expand. Not much we can do to stop it. Might as well have a system that will be easy to grow. Its funny, the same people that don't want the city to grow further outwards are the same one the oppose intensification in their neighbourhoods.
                      It is a shame if our ring road becomes a suburban road. What will we build then, a double ring road? South sprawl needs to stop soon, it is just too costly a location to develop, we should have learned that by now.

Fortunatley I live in a neighborhood that supports intensification - that has supported developers who work with, and listen to, the community. There are densification projects already proceeding, and a pilot project to guide densification has been widely attended and supported. There is only really one project that is struggling, and that is because the developer to date, has chosen not to work with, or listen to, community league densification proposals for the site.

Comment

I dont want to derail this thread - PM me some names of these projects in your neighbourhood you are referring to. I'm interesting in various ways for various reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by feepa
                          I dont want to derail this thread - PM me some names of these projects in your neighbourhood you are referring to. I'm interesting in various ways for various reasons.
                          You can do your own research, a quick drive through Grovenor / Glenora should suffice. Just drive up SP road and look around. There will be more projects though. Agreed about the thread derailing, but you challenged my view on an inacurate claim that I do not support densification, which is false. I would love SP road (and other boulevards in the city) to be filled with town houses and low rise condo's, which IMO neighborhood planning will acheive much faster than ad-hoc DC2's.

Back to the LRT, I would like it to service and support existing neighborhoods first, like Millwoods - this would actually reduce some of the commuter traffic issues we have. A circle route may be a way to acheive this? I guess the other option discussed earlier in the thread is connecting to the NAIT line or a West Ed. line.

One alternative I do not like is to prioritise driving the LRT to the outskirts of the city. This might just encourage even more development on the edge. While this could benefit new neighborhoods, it seems unfair to me that neighborhoods that have been paying taxes for a long time and were originally promissed LRT (like Millwoods) continue to get overlooked.

Comment

I think the line from Century Park to MWTC would work. It would be the same line, or a line that ties into the 111 street line (if the 11 st line cont south). However, i think it would be successful if it was an express train from MWTC stopping at University and downtown - so bypassing CP, SG, SC and 76 ave.

Comment

I agree that existing neighbourhoods should get LRT before the newly built subdivisions and I think city hall agrees on that too. That is why the NAIT / Northgate line is the next priority.

I don't believe however that Millwoods will see LRT until after Northgate and West Ed. And I think many Millwooders realize that too and that is why they are proposing a quick and easy extension from CP. But building a line from Millwoods to CP is not the right way to go.

If the most common destination for people starting in Millwoods is downtown, then the train should go north, directly to downtown. We have to build with the big picture in mind or we'll end up with a patchwork of lines that doesn't really make sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X