• Post your ideal LRT system

100.00%
    ?
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Makes too much sense to be considered.

Comment

i think it has too many splits. I would connect NAIT to VIA/ greyuhound etc and on North.

To connect Commonwealth, Kingsway, 124str 111ave, Westmount etc I would use a rind line that I proposed that would circle through WEM, University, Bonnie Doon (EDIT: AND OLD STrathcona of course), Kings College (EDIT: AND NEW TOD at old shopping mall cite), Concordia and Back to Commonwealth.

As for serving 124st/ Jasper Ave--that should be the line going to WEM via Stoney Plain.

Comment

That's a great network where unexpensive ROW is concerned, but you couldn't have all those trains heading downtown, at least not with frequent service.

How about splitting the VIA leg off the the westmount leg at 110th st to head down that old CP ROW/park to grandin station, with a station at the Save-on north of jasper. Then across the high level to old strathcona and millwoods. With two transfer points to the Main LRT line, it could work. I like it.

Comment

I'd say the "leg" to VIA would be better served by a smaller trolley line as the amount of passengers who would take advantage would be small, otherwise, the Westmount line is exactly what was proposed years ago - before this straight line across the river to WEM neverbuilt idea came to be.

NAIT would have to extend further to at least Northgate...

Westmount would be a great place for a BRT line from St Albert. BRT there because St Albert is not the major destination that places like, I don't know, the 22+ million visit WEM is...
          President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
            I'd say the "leg" to VIA would be better served by a smaller trolley line as the amount of passengers who would take advantage would be small, otherwise, the Westmount line is exactly what was proposed years ago - before this straight line across the river to WEM neverbuilt idea came to be.

NAIT would have to extend further to at least Northgate...

Westmount would be a great place for a BRT line from St Albert. BRT there because St Albert is not the major destination that places like, I don't know, the 22+ million visit WEM is...
            As much as I love via, Greyhound, I agree that this location will not support , and is not at all a priority for an LRT line. The Kingsway/nait line DOES make huge sense and as part of a line continuing straight north.

As far as the Westmount Spur totally disagree and a St Albert BRT can almost as easily hit the proposed North line at Nait and of course funded by St Albert.
            "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement

As far as the Westmount Spur totally disagree and a St Albert BRT can almost as easily hit the proposed North line at Nait and of course funded by St Albert.
              That Westmount 'spur' would go out to WEM.... And is the best route for it, as it goes through areas that would actually use transit...

Comment

Correct, the 107 spur was the original plan to Jasper Place....the ROW is STILL there.

So, we would just head down to 87th well west and past the Laurier Heights LRT killers, and hang a right to WEM.

Comment

The plan ould be for this to be run under a UNIFIED transit system, ETS or a "BC Transit" style set up province wide...

Comment

Wish? More like woulda-coulda-shoulda since it all would have been doable had the rail ROWs still been intact. Now that all those strip malls and condos have been built on them, it's rather too late for this to happen, don't ya think?
                    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by m0nkyman

That Westmount 'spur' would go out to WEM.... And is the best route for it, as it goes through areas that would actually use transit...
                      Honestly how is this the best spur to WEM for the half the city that lives on the southside?!?

Its about the most indirect line to WEM imaginable.
                      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Honestly how is this the best spur to WEM for the half the city that lives on the southside?!?

The southside already has LRT. Part of the goal is to make the LRT as useful as possible to the maximum number of people. Running LRT down 107th Ave to Mayfield, and down Mayfield, then down 170 St brings LRT close to the maximum number of commuters. Taking it straight down 87th misses most transit using neighbourhoods, and misses all the neighbourhoods in the northwest that are likely to be commuter. Push it down to Callingwood and you've created a really nice line to run short bus routes to for pretty much the entire population of the west end that's likely to take public transit.

WEM is a destination, and putting it on the LRT system is important, but the primary goal is to make the LRT convenient as a commuter system for the maximum number of people.

The other thing this route would do is make the employment areas in the northwest easy to get to from the LRT.

There's no point in going in a straight line if the points on that line aren't where you need to go.

Comment

sort of. there are some significant density along 87 avenue:
                          1 several apartment buildings at 149street
                          2. massive apartment complex--Whitehall Square at 156 street that is also next to Meadowlark mall and adult living complexes just north of it
                          3. Misericordia and the large apartment complex east of it.

I think if LRT goes down that way it would serve a lot of people. 170th has a stretch south of 95ave that has high density, but it is nowhere near what already exists along 87th from 149 to WEM.

I think ideal route for WLRT is down Jasper to Stoney Plain to 149 street (a lot of apartment buildings there) to 87 Ave to WEM.

Comment

Originally posted by m0nkyman

The southside already has LRT. Part of the goal is to make the LRT as useful as possible to the maximum number of people. Running LRT down 107th Ave to Mayfield, and down Mayfield, then down 170 St brings LRT close to the maximum number of commuters. Taking it straight down 87th misses most transit using neighbourhoods, and misses all the neighbourhoods in the northwest that are likely to be commuter. Push it down to Callingwood and you've created a really nice line to run short bus routes to for pretty much the entire population of the west end that's likely to take public transit.

WEM is a destination, and putting it on the LRT system is important, but the primary goal is to make the LRT convenient as a commuter system for the maximum number of people.

The other thing this route would do is make the employment areas in the northwest easy to get to from the LRT.

There's no point in going in a straight line if the points on that line aren't where you need to go.
                            Theres also no point putting the WEM access at a point so far north that the south won't make any use of it. Some consideration of equitable or fair compromise I'd say should enter into it. The southside of the city is expanding rapidly and now stretches all the way to 20A SW!! Thats now way past zero meridian. Conversely Edmonton stretches to 180A at it northernmost point. Is 111AVE as the OP diagrammed as the starting point a fair meeting of halfway? Thats 69 blocks away from the northernmost extremity of the city and 131blocks(twice as many) from the southernmost to put it into perspective and lets not forget, to end up at a location that is arguably more south as in 87AVE. So south residents esentially go WAY north only to go south again..

Comment

LRT to WEM SHOULD BE down 87ave but WONT BE imo for political reasons

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                              X