Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Omar Khadr judgment/settlement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Widow goes after money Canada will give ex-Gitmo prisoner

    Some good news:...

    TORONTO — The lawyer for the widow of an American soldier killed in Afghanistan said Tuesday they have filed an application so that any money paid by the Canadian government to a former Guantanamo Bay prisoner convicted of killing him will go toward the widow and another U.S. soldier injured.

    Lawyer Don Winder made the comments as a decision by the Canadian government to apologize and give millions of dollars to Omar Khadr came under mounting criticism.

    An official familiar with the deal said Tuesday that Khadr will receive 10.5 million Canadian dollars (US$8 million). The official was not authorized to discuss the deal publicly before the announcement and spoke on condition of anonymity. The government and Khadr’s lawyers negotiated the deal last month.

    The Canadian-born Khadr was 15 when he was captured by U.S. troops following a firefight at a suspected al-Qaida compound in Afghanistan that resulted in the death of an American special forces medic, U.S. Army Sgt. First Class Christopher Speer and injury of Sgt. Layne Morris, who lost an eye. Khadr, who was suspected of throwing the grenade that killed Speer, was taken to Guantanamo and ultimately charged with war crimes by a military commission.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d7430b28b1d4

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Glenco View Post
      he was a child under the law. He had no choice. What part don't you understand.
      He was 15 years old, he asked to be involved - while you might think at 15 someone is innocent of any crime, I certainly don't.

      “Odious. Confessed terrorist who assembled & planted the same kind of IEDs (improvised explosive devices) that killed 97 Canadians to be given $10-million,” former Conservative Minister Jason Kenney tweeted said. Kenney added that Khadr should be in prison paying of his crimes, not profiting from them as the expenses of Canadian taxpayers.
      When a Canadian soldier is injured in battle, the government provides a disability award up to a maximum of $360,000,” Conservative MP Michelle Rempel said in a tweet. “Despite this, the current government is willing to provide $10 million to a convicted terrorist.”
      Last edited by moahunter; 04-07-2017, 03:57 PM.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by moahunter View Post
        Some good news:...

        TORONTO — The lawyer for the widow of an American soldier killed in Afghanistan said Tuesday they have filed an application so that any money paid by the Canadian government to a former Guantanamo Bay prisoner convicted of killing him will go toward the widow and another U.S. soldier injured.

        Lawyer Don Winder made the comments as a decision by the Canadian government to apologize and give millions of dollars to Omar Khadr came under mounting criticism.

        An official familiar with the deal said Tuesday that Khadr will receive 10.5 million Canadian dollars (US$8 million). The official was not authorized to discuss the deal publicly before the announcement and spoke on condition of anonymity. The government and Khadr’s lawyers negotiated the deal last month.

        The Canadian-born Khadr was 15 when he was captured by U.S. troops following a firefight at a suspected al-Qaida compound in Afghanistan that resulted in the death of an American special forces medic, U.S. Army Sgt. First Class Christopher Speer and injury of Sgt. Layne Morris, who lost an eye. Khadr, who was suspected of throwing the grenade that killed Speer, was taken to Guantanamo and ultimately charged with war crimes by a military commission.
        https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d7430b28b1d4
        Families of afghans killed by American soldiers should also sue the US government. It's a two way street.

        Comment


        • #34
          Interesting comments in this discussion:


          Caution: Children at War
          P.W. Singer
          Parameters Winter 2001-2002
          https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...1203singer.pdf

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by moahunter View Post
            ^he only has himself to blame, nobody but him decided to throw that grenade. If he had done that against the military forces of Pakistan, or another Muslim country, do you think he would be free today, getting paid $10m? I don't think so, we are rewarding him because he was lucky enough to throw at a US soldier, its obscene. Hopefully, any payout can be directed to the family of the soldier killed, rather than where it will end up otherwise, in the pockets of ISIS or another Muslim extremist organization.
            He was fifteen. In spite of you beaking off that you were the most mature 15 year old that walked the planet I'm gonna say I don't believe you were.
            Have you ever been in a war torn country were the people around you were all older than you and you were in a situation of kill or be killed. Have you every at 15 been under the pressure of peers (for want of a better word) to do unspeakable things in an unspeakable situation under tremendous pressure. You comparing your life to his is laughable. Then he gets arrested and treated like an adult when his crime(s) were committed as a youth. The laws were put in place before he got arrested and detained. Nobody should be able to change or bend them to make a political statement, like knowing his age is 15 but treating him like an adult war criminal. Sure he was old enough to know right from wrong, but he was probably brought up to believe killing his enemy (soldiers, insurgents, rebels) was the right thing to do. You cannot substitute your reality for his. You might have been brought up on the other side of the tracks but I'm sure it was not a war torn neighborhood. Quit fantasizing, I doubt you've every been a prisoner of war. Probably the closest you got to war was some Xbox game.
            As for the 10 million settlement, part and parcel of it all but I'm not sure about it.
            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

            Comment


            • #36
              Im trying to find a quote where Trudeau provides the instruction per the thread title. Does the PM have that authority? Can someone provide that please.


              More here:

              Here’s why Omar Khadr is getting $10M from the Canadian government | Globalnews.ca

              http://globalnews.ca/news/3573619/om...-compensation/

              Comment


              • #37
                Trump's racism has leaked into Canada in a big way and it's both disgusting and pathetic. If it was a white kid that threw that grenade at an Arab while yelling "For the glory of God!" some of you would have come in your pants so hard it would have blown them right off. And then you'd set up a $10M GoFundMe to ensure they were adequately rewarded.
                "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

                Comment


                • #38
                  Is 10m enough for enduring state sponsored torture? It is shameful how he was treated.

                  There are rules around child soldiers. They were ignored and he was abused by the US.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    From Wiki

                    The commissions were struck down as unconstitutional on June 29, 2006 by the Supreme Court ruling in Hamdan v. Rumsfeld, which stated that "The military commission at issue lacks the power to proceed because its structure and procedures violate both the UCMJ and the four Geneva Conventions signed in 1949.
                    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                      From Wiki

                      The commissions were struck down as unconstitutional on June 29, 2006 by the Supreme Court ruling in Hamdan v. Rumsfeld, which stated that "The military commission at issue lacks the power to proceed because its structure and procedures violate both the UCMJ and the four Geneva Conventions signed in 1949.
                      So they literally wrote and passed new laws to make it so what they were doing was 'legal'.

                      Pretty disgusting.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Maybe if everyone who finds themselves in a combat situation and suffers from it, including service personnel, civilians, contractors, and anyone else, sue for millions it will put an end to wars as no one could afford the consequences of a war.
                        Just enjoying another day in paradise.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Theres 2 issues here. One is an admitted terrorirst who murdered people and then ones right to due process. When you leave canada to commit such heinous crimes you cant cry about the punishment you endure over seas.

                          Hes a murderer. Hes a terrorist. His age didnt matter when planting bombs or blowing people up yet a few of you are crying over his rights? How many people did khadr murder before he was captured?

                          Im all for defending someones rights but i struggle with this when its a murdering terrorist. Throw a child rapist into the mix and everyones happy to chop their privates off and throw away the keys but a murdering terrorist whos committed numerous untold crimes and we are concerned about his rights?

                          Can you guys who are supporting a murderous terrorist stop excusing his actions. Defend his rights to due process but stop pretending like he had no choice and that being a kid makes any difference.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            It's astounding how many grown men think they were grown men at 15.
                            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by gwill211 View Post
                              Theres 2 issues here. One is an admitted terrorirst who murdered people and then ones right to due process. When you leave canada to commit such heinous crimes you cant cry about the punishment you endure over seas.

                              Hes a murderer. Hes a terrorist. His age didnt matter when planting bombs or blowing people up yet a few of you are crying over his rights? How many people did khadr murder before he was captured?

                              Im all for defending someones rights but i struggle with this when its a murdering terrorist. Throw a child rapist into the mix and everyones happy to chop their privates off and throw away the keys but a murdering terrorist whos committed numerous untold crimes and we are concerned about his rights?

                              Can you guys who are supporting a murderous terrorist stop excusing his actions. Defend his rights to due process but stop pretending like he had no choice and that being a kid makes any difference.
                              There is something sick about this post. Obsession with death, dismemberment, sexuality, mixed with sputtering and completely unthinking rage.

                              Whether or not Khadr was guilty or not, rage like this is the enemy. Not supposed religious fanatics accused of throwing bombs overseas, underage. Because it is here, now, and completely unchecked.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                a murdering terrorist isnt the enemy? Give your head a shake. If you want to say canada deserves to pay for ignoring any tortute and undue process i can understand. But you nut bars defending a terrorists actions while providing excuses are pathetic.

                                The only thing worst then khadr(terrorist)is a child rapist. Do you guys defend them as well? Do you cry foul when these rapists are beaten up in jail? Do you protect their rights when guards purposely leave them vulnerable to other inmates?

                                Oh i forgot.. khadr was a kid. All is forgiven.. we must excuse his actions.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X