Alberta to get $700 million in infrastructure cash within 'weeks to months'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberta to get $700 million in infrastructure cash within 'weeks to months'

"Alberta will get nearly $700 million in infrastructure money "immediately" to spur a flagging economy flattened by low energy prices.

The federal and provincial governments made the announcement after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau met with Premier Rachel Notley in Edmonton on Wednesday.

Trudeau said the money was allocated to Alberta in the past but was never spent."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nths-1.3431203
    www.decl.org

Joint news release focused heavily on climate change strategies. Perhaps this means funding will go towards "green" projects? Transit...?

http://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xI...02E2B96BE5B804

“Together with Alberta’s capital plan, our two governments will help address urgent economic and infrastructure needs, supporting long-term growth while creating jobs in the short-term.
    “We both recognize that the need to act on climate change in concert with the rest of the world is more important than ever to attract new investment, and create jobs and clean growth. We also recognize that growing Canada’s economy and reducing emissions go hand in hand.

Comment

^Transit would fit. Whatever it is, infrastructure. I'd be concerned that little might flow to municipalities. Province will be tempted to use it for schools, hospital maybe.
      www.decl.org

Comment

If the province is keeping it, hopefully they will at least be able to reverse some of the recent downloads on municipalities like the ASHC grant in lieu of tax to free up funding (especially for the cities). Municipalities are going to be hit hard by this downturn and they don't have the capacity to raise revenue or borrow like the province does.

Comment

I hope they look at which employment sectors were hit the hardest and move forward on projects that will help those workers most. I want to see desperate people put to work, not extra pork for folks who are doing OK.
          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
            I hope they look at which employment sectors were hit the hardest and move forward on projects that will help those workers most. I want to see desperate people put to work, not extra pork for folks who are doing OK.
            How do you direct money to the oil sector... front line, engineering or otherwise?
            This will go to infrastructure and to firms that do infrastructure work... people will have to hope additional positions open up and transition to this sector.
            I don't see how else it's going to work, other than subsidizing industry.

Comment

Hopefully some planning with the LRT (particularly West LRT) could be done.
              "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Originally posted by DanC View Post
                Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                How do you direct money to the oil sector... front line, engineering or otherwise?
                This will go to infrastructure and to firms that do infrastructure work... people will have to hope additional positions open up and transition to this sector.
                I don't see how else it's going to work, other than subsidizing industry.
                Heck if I know. Just musing that I'd like to see unemployed trades guys back to work.

Question: was this money already en route to the province, and the only change is that it is being made available sooner than anticipated?
                "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

If the funds are not specifically targeted they will be chewed up and spit out into thin air so fast and no one will have a clue where it all went.
                  Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

The funds could be used towards payments to drive a near immediate ramping down coal fed power plant electricity production and replacing that supply with gas turbine production. This would kill two birds with one stone. It would reduce the worst emitter of global greenhouse gases (giving Alberta's environmental opponents one less target) and it would provide a domestic demand source for any glut of natural gas. The energy sector which is losing jobs would benefit directly.

It's too bad because its not new infrastructure but coal plants have gone from a prized asset to a perceived and/or real burden on Alberta. Since we have available natural gas, it makes sense to convert base load demand over to gas as fast as possible, then work on more wind, solar and other less stable but much cleaner alternatives. (I still believe a few long-life coal units should be kept online and permitted to provide periodic supply spikes in power output in order to provide negotiating leverage for electricity cost stabilization purposes and to provide system redundancy.) Abandon coal altogether and the gas suppliers will take Alberta's electricity users to the cleaners on any commodity strength. It's happened before and it will happen again.

Comment

I guess we'll call it even lol.

https://twitter.com/PremierBradWall/...46692497534976

Comment

Thank Goodness we didn’t build that Firewall!
                        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

^why, because we would have a fund the size of Norway to tap into, if much of that Federal tax we paid, had come back to Alberta instead of being invested in Quebec? If we were part of the US, we would have another pipeline to export market, Keystone XL, as well, I'm sure. Silly article, we choose to be part of Canada, which is fine, but reasonable to understand the economic sacrifice/price that has cost Alberta. A tiny bit of stimulus spending back, minuscule in comparison to what has been contributed to Canada, and not even as much as just one oil and gas company has cut its capital spend (Husky), hardly pays back that price.
                          Last edited by moahunter; 05-02-2016, 07:38 AM.

Comment

No, because when we should have been banking royalties we were spending them.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Moahunter is just repeating the myth that transfer payments are the reason we didn't save in a vain attempt to address his ever increasing cognitive dissonance.

Of course, we all know full well that federal income taxes have exactly zero bearing on whether or not we save oil royalties. The only consideration that matters in that is covering operational expenses completely with operational income, and saving 100% of our asset sales (royalties). It is that simple, and the federal system has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X