Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Originally posted by Cal76 View Post
    Quite a few might want to settle down here .......
    We have a big Lebanese Arab community (many ways similar to Syrians with a mix of Shia, Sunni, Christian and Druze) as well as low(-ish) unemployment, plenty of apartment rentals, half-decent transit and so on.
    People always talk weather but it is usually not the first thing newcomers worry about (many years back I had come from a tropical land to Calgary in January.........it sure didn't scare me)!

To all who come and choose to stay here and become Canadians: Welcome !
    Maybe save the platitudes and salutations until Canada actually quits vacillating, and actually gets on and takes in some refugees.
    Why do you say they're vacillating? My understanding is the process is already well underway. Remember the selection process and a good chunk of screening work occurs outside the country.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Nenshi - welcome refugees with open arms

I'm sure many of the Refugees (2,300 it appears) heading through the military staging base in Edmonton, will end up in Calgary, per Nenshi anyway:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nshi-1.3321682

"I need to point out that the people who are desperate refugees are fleeing the exact same people who perpetrated the kind of violence that we saw in Paris and in Beirut last week," Nenshi said.

"They're running away from the bad guys and, as such, we need to be able to open our arms to make sure we can provide safety to these folks."
      Last edited by moahunter; 18-11-2015, 08:07 AM.

Comment

It takes 6 months to do a background check to hired into the steno pool for the Mounties. NO way are background checks gonna be thourough enough for these refugees....welcome ISIS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by maclac View Post
          It takes 6 months to do a background check to hired into the steno pool for the Mounties. NO way are background checks gonna be thourough enough for these refugees....welcome ISIS!!!
          You can post that type of comment on the other thread please.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
            Originally posted by expat View Post

Maybe save the platitudes and salutations until Canada actually quits vacillating, and actually gets on and takes in some refugees.
            Why do you say they're vacillating? My understanding is the process is already well underway. Remember the selection process and a good chunk of screening work occurs outside the country.
            ...And here in Canada? Under our previous federal government, we planned to accept just 10,000 Syrian refugees this year. The new government intends to take in 25,000 by the end of the year – an improvement, to be sure, but is it enough?
            http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle27302789/
            Plus, the way the wind's blowing these numbers and time constraints look ripe for possible revision yet again.
            "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

^The current government has not revised their intent at all. They said 25,000 by the end of the year during the campaign, they said 25,000 by the end of the year when they formed government, and they appear to making every effort to meet that commitment. If they don't manage it, it won't be for lack of trying. Further the Canadian public appears to be in support of that objective.

I'm failing to see the vacillation:

alternate or waver between different opinions or actions; be indecisive.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
                ^The current government has not revised their intent at all. They said 25,000 by the end of the year during the campaign, they said 25,000 by the end of the year when they formed government, and they appear to making every effort to meet that commitment. If they don't manage it, it won't be for lack of trying. Further the Canadian public appears to be in support of that objective.

I'm failing to see the vacillation:

alternate or waver between different opinions or actions; be indecisive.
                The Journal appears to be reporting otherwise...

Majority of Canadians oppose Trudeau’s plan to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees over in just six weeks: poll...

...Support for Trudeau’s plan is lowest in Alberta (33 per cent) and highest in Atlantic Canada (50 per cent).
                http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...443/story.html
                "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

^Fair enough, I was looking at a poll that only addressed accepting Syrian refugees in general rather than the government's current plan for the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                  X