24 Sussex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 Sussex

Should one of Trudeau's first acts be to build a nice palace for himself, renovating a building that Harper was able to manage fine in, for $10m plus?

You can build a very nice house for $10M. I remember in Alberta, the Premiers home on St Georges Cr was knocked down rather than reno. Is Sussex so amazing that it deserves $10M?

The risk of here of course, which is probably why Harper was cautious, is that you end up with a cost over-run (often the case with reno's), or issues like our former Governor General faced (Clarkson), with acusations of out of control spending. Or a risk of comparisons to Redfords Sky Palace?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/crumb...tien-1.2626618

A bit old and colonial for my taste (is that an air conditioner sticking out one window?), but what do you think?
    Last edited by moahunter; 26-10-2015, 12:22 PM.

I think this house should be renovated, I thought that when Harper moved in., I would like to hear from Trudeau, not his mummy.
    Animals are my passion.

Comment

What I've read doesn't sound like making a palace but renovating to bring it's infrastructure up to standards. Given what's being spent to renovate Parliament itself $10m isn't bad to refurbish an historic property that is also the official residence of the Prime Minister.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
        I remember in Alberta, the Premiers home on St Georges Cr was knocked down rather than reno.
        That was the Lieutanant-Governor's house, which Lois Hole chose not to occupy, preferring her own home in St. Albert. And the government subsequently purchased another home down the street for Normie Kwong to occupy: https://www.assembly.ab.ca/lao/libra...residence.html
        “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

^There is an interesting debate in London right now about repairs to Westminster parliment (which would come to billions). Some have suggested, it could be turned into low income housing with a new purpose built parliment built...

This is very dangerous stuff for politicians, anytime they do something that can perceived of making their lives more comfortable off the public purse. I think if I was PM, I'd knock it down and put something cool and modern up (safer bet in terms of the cost than a reno), or turn it to a museum and just buy an "off the shelf" suburban home as the new cheaper to maintain PM residence.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
            Should one of Trudeau's first acts be to build a nice palace for himself, renovating a building that Harper was able to manage fine in, for $10m plus?

You can build a very nice house for $10M. I remember in Alberta, the Premiers home on St Georges Cr was knocked down rather than reno. Is Sussex so amazing that it deserves $10M?

The risk of here of course, which is probably why Harper was cautious, is that you end up with a cost over-run (often the case with reno's), or issues like our former Governor General faced (Clarkson), with acusations of out of control spending. Or a risk of comparisons to Redfords Sky Palace?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/crumb...tien-1.2626618

A bit old and colonial for my taste (is that an air conditioner sticking out one window?), but what do you think?
            I think you are being small minded. This building needed fixing 40-50years ago. Just because it was good enough for Harper is not an argument for doing nothing.
            “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Originally posted by Glenco View Post
              I think you are being small minded.
              I wonder if that's what Redford and Clarkson said to their advisors as they gave the construction / reno orders? I can see why Trudeau's getting his mommy to do the talking for him, he is trying to build the case first / insulate himself for when the cost over-runs occur / his wife over-does the interior budget.

Comment

I don't get the sense that this is about building a palace either. In fact, my read is that he doesn't really want to live in this house at all. This is, however, the best time to do repairs. And I think we are talking about repairs, including apparently the HVAC if that window air conditioner is any indication. Also plumbing fixtures are apparently in sad shape (not out of date, actually barely functional).

It's a no win for housing that politicians are going to occupy. On the one hand, you need something good enough to entertain visiting dignitaries in suitable style. On the other politicians are always accused of simply feathering their own nests if they renovate official residences (this isn't private property).

However, there is a continuing debate on these very boards about heritage properties. The sad fact is that mere nostalgia doesn't keep these properties in decent shape. And when they cease to be in decent shape, demolition is the most efficient option.

Comment

Justin Trudeau will move into Rideau Cottage, not 24 Sussex

For now at least is seems he will be living down the street. Prudently, he's not making a decision on 24 Sussex right away.

The notice said the prime minister-designate will make decisions about 24 Sussex Drive after he has been "fully briefed" by officials.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

At least this one isn't as bad as Trudeau Sr. and Mulroney, both of whom used donations to their parties to fund renovations for ridiculous things like a pool.

Comment

I don't know what's wrong with 24 sussex, but I see 4 window air conditioners in that photo.

That alone is enough to tell me that there's plenty of work to be done without turning it into a palace.

Comment

Maybe my idea of turning it into a museum, and having somewhere more comfortable / modern / cheaper, makes sense? I don't think I'd want to live in it.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter
                          Already spinning this as a negative for Trudeau, eh? Nice.

The fact is that the building has been in desperate need of repair for a long time. The National Capital Commission asked Harper in 2008 and 2011 to move out so that the building could be fixed up, to which he refused. It makes very good sense for Trudeau to not move in to it while it's renovated. This is a national historic asset, and it should be cared for accordingly.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...sex-right-away

Stephen Harper in recent days has borne the brunt of the blame for the building’s parlous state. That’s a little unfair. Had he acceded to the requests of the National Capital Commission in 2008 or 2011 and moved out to allow for renovations, the opposition would certainly have made hay. What? Spend $10-million (that was the estimate then, it will be higher now) on a home do-over for the Harpers, even as the Conservatives are hacking back federal departments?

Nevertheless, Harper erred in blocking those repairs, and here’s why: It wasn’t his house, any more than it will now be Justin Trudeau’s house. The PM had no business countermanding both the NCC and the Auditor General in determining what repairs are needed, or not, to a government property. Prime ministers are transient residents. Fixing 24 Sussex isn’t their call.
                          The place is full of asbestos, for lord's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                            Originally posted by moahunter
                            Already spinning this as a negative for Trudeau, eh? Nice.
                            I'm being a bit tounge in cheek, just concious of how these thing's seem "obvious" to do, when they are done, but can then end up looking horrible when looking back, re other scandals we have seen. I'm not convinced it makes sense this be the PM's residence, and it seems even he is thinking about that. As to asbestos, the last home I had, had - its not an issue as long as you don't disturb it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaerdo View Post
                              At least this one isn't as bad as Trudeau Sr. and Mulroney, both of whom used donations to their parties to fund renovations for ridiculous things like a pool.
                              A pool is significantly less ridiculous in southern Ontario than it is in Alberta.

Comment

Working...
                              X