No announcement yet.

Harper proposes travel ban for 'places that are ground zero for terrorist ac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harper proposes travel ban for 'places that are ground zero for terrorist ac

Breaking: Harper proposes travel ban for 'places that are ground zero for terrorist activity'

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper said today if re-elected he will introduce legislation that will make it a criminal offence for Canadians to travel to parts of the world under the control of extremist groups.

"A re-elected Conservative government will designate travel to places that are ground zero for terrorist activity a criminal offence," Harper said Sunday during a campaign stop in Ottawa.

"Those who go will face the full power of the law."

The proposed law would apply to certain "declared areas" Harper said, though he did not name any specific locations.

"We are talking about the most dangerous places on earth, where governance is nonexistent and violence is widespread and brutal."

He indicated exceptions might be made for some individuals — such as aid workers, diplomats and journalists — but maintained there are "few legitimate reasons" to travel to such parts of the world.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harp...ions-1.3184703

Unreal.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Would you be able to elaborate further on what you mean by "unreal"?

Comment

Originally posted by Doppelganger View Post
      Probably that by restricting movement of Canadians is a strike against our rights and freedoms. Besides, any would-be terrorists aren't flying to Syria anyway. They go through Turkey, which is part of NATO. Therefore this whole charade is pointless and is pandering to the ultra-conservative folks that buy into fear mongering.

It's pathetic security theater that erodes our rights.
      "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
          Originally posted by Doppelganger View Post
          Probably that by restricting movement of Canadians is a strike against our rights and freedoms. Besides, any would-be terrorists aren't flying to Syria anyway. They go through Turkey, which is part of NATO. Therefore this whole charade is pointless and is pandering to the ultra-conservative folks that buy into fear mongering.

It's pathetic security theater that erodes our rights.

Chmilz nailed it. And so did the others.
          Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

I don't know how I feel about this one. Australia has a similar law, so it seems to have come from there. One problem when people do go to hostile locations like where ISIS is, is that then you end ransoms and demands for getting saved when things go wrong. I suspect though the real reason for this legislation, is its hard to prove that Canadians in ISIS controlled territories are committing crimes against humanity (they go there to fight for ISIS), now they can be charged under this perhaps?

It's also a bit weird, in that, does it apply to non Canadians like those with permanent residence in Canada but not citizenship? Not sure I like it.
            Last edited by moahunter; 09-08-2015, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Seems like a weird law to brin in effect during an election, just seems a bit to extreme

Comment

Once people are out of Canada to places such as London or Amsterdam, there is little the Harper Government can do about it.

Countless times there have been wars and "dangerous places on earth, where governance is nonexistent and violence is widespread and brutal"

I can think of the Spanish Civil War where volunteers from Canada, USA and many countries volunteered, often against the wishes of their governments.

I know one person who was in all sorts of trouble with his country when he fought with the Sandinistas. People signed up early in the First and Second World War as politicians dithered and people died.

Meanwhile, Canada has many times stood idly by as thousands or millions died in "dangerous places on earth, where governance is nonexistent and violence is widespread and brutal" such as Rwanda or Somalia.

I do not support terrorists and war in general but such laws being proposed are more political than effective.
                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

It's seems a bit draconian charging people who want to travel to countries were there are extremists groups, but people who want to do leave should be fully questioned. Even if they leave from Canada and go to a safe country then travel to a country where there are terrorists they should be questioned upon return. Look at this another way. Maybe it's a measure to stop people form being radicalised and bringing havoc back with them. Better to be pro-active than re-active.
                  Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

I like the idea, but I find it interesting that he waited for the election campaign to bring it up. Harper could've introduced and passed the bill a long time ago.
                    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

So it would apply to people going to fight against ISIS as well as for it?

Canadian who went to fight ISIS writes blog from front lines

TORONTO – Ten days after volunteering to fight ISIS in Syria, he was on the front lines, a six-year veteran of the Canadian Forces wrote in a blog post Monday.

Brandon Glossop, a 26-year-old from Sidney, British Columbia joined the fight against ISIS in February, he said, and quickly found himself in the midst of the war.

“In that time we bounced back and forth between 6 different camps and bases, were issued a rifle, 5 magazines, a pineapple grenade, cigarettes, and a Kurdish war name (I was given the name “Zinar”),” Glossop wrote in a lengthy blog post published Monday.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1963476/ca...m-front-lines/
                      It's obvious that Harper is just doing this because of the election. It also helps distract from the 2nd recession of his government.
                      Last edited by kkozoriz; 09-08-2015, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Yet another unconstitutional law that would be struck down upon challenge in the Supreme Court. Stevo really seems to like butting heads with the 9 justices, hence why he's stocking it with cons.

For those who agree with this law: it's against the charter. period. Therefore, bad law. Also, terrorists aren't the only people who travel to these areas. What about NGOs? Humanitarian aid workers. Doctors Without Borders?

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
                        Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Comment

I am very tired of the Conservative security hard-on.

Terror and violence is self-perpetuating. Are you foolish enough not to have learned that yet?

The more anti-terrorist measures, the more terrorism.

Comment

Originally posted by 24karat View Post
                            I like the idea, but I find it interesting that he waited for the election campaign to bring it up. Harper could've introduced and passed the bill a long time ago.
                            I agree.I read the UK is thinking of doing the same thing
                            Animals are my passion.

Comment

Yet another garbage law that will cost us millions in taxpayer dollars being fought in the courts before being ultimately overturned. Blatant violation of the basic rights and freedoms of Canadians.

Make no mistake, this WILL be shut down by the courts. Just another in the long line of unconstitutional actions that cost us money.

Harper is a fake conservative.

Comment

Working...
                              X