Time to become a republic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to become a republic?

Reading about Prince Andrews activities, isn't Canada mature enough now to have its own head of state instead of this family of aristocratic twits? If something had happened to Charles before he had kids, this guy could have been King of Canada:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ice-probe.html

I am what you could call a "default monarchist". I have no great emotional attachment to the monarchy, but I just think that abolishing it would be a HELLUVA lotta work, for very little payback in terms of actual improvements.

If we go to a "weak presidential" system(eg. Israel and Ireland) where the president basically serves as an elected figurehead, we're not really changing the way things work at all. Except we're gonna be spending god-knows-how-much-money to change all the wording and symbolism on legal and parliamentary documents, coat-of-arms, etc etc.

And if we go to a "strong presidential" system(eg. the USA and France), that's even more of a headache. We'd be tossing out the whole Westminister system, hook line and sinker, and having to come up with something new. I really don't think Canadians are gonna be interested in a long, protracted debate about what sort of system to invent. Not when the only issue supposedly bedevilling the monarchy is bad behaviour of some of the Royals.

Comment

^just make the Governor General the head of state and name them president with equivalent powers as now. While I'd prefer an elected head of state, this would be better than what we have now, in that everything would be the same, but no link to the Windsors and their pedophile friends. I have this weird feeling the UK will ditch this family before we do, which is crazy. As to the cost, what about the harm of being linked to this family? Time to grow up as a nation and move on I think.
      Last edited by moahunter; 04-01-2015, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
        ^just make the Governor General the head of state. While I'd prefer an elected head of state, this would be better than what we have now, in that everything would be the same, but no link to the Windsors and their pedophile friends. I have this weird feeling the UK will ditch this family before we do, which is crazy.
        But if you make the Governor General the head-of-state, he's not a Governor General. He's a president.

And even if you throw the dictionary out the window and keep calling him Governor General, that's still not gonna make that person royalty. So names like "Royal Canadian Mounted Police" "Court Of Queen's Bench", "Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition" etc are gonna be rendered absurd. Not to mention all the crowns, sceptres, and maces in the Coats Of Arms.

(Well, maybe maces and sceptres could fit in with a republic. Crowns would be ridiculous in a presidential system.)
        Last edited by overoceans; 04-01-2015, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by overoceans View Post
          But if you make the Governor General the head-of-state, he's not a Governor General. He's a president. .
          Which is fine. I'm sure can afford some Canadian symbols for coats of arms and similar. Removing the "royal" is not a big deal, or we can even call our president, the "royal president", and define Royal to be what we want it to be (ie not linked to pedophiles / English aristocracy). Someone from a better behaved family, like Beiber, could then go on our currency
          Last edited by moahunter; 04-01-2015, 08:32 AM.

Comment

we can even call our president, the "royal president"

Yeah, if you want Canada to be a laughingstock.

And, sure, authentically republican alternatives to all the names, images, and rituals could be found if we hired enough creative-minds and shelled out enough money. It would be a huge gold-rush for underemployed PoliSci and Fine Arts grads. But, in terms of realpolitik, I don't think you have a hope in hell of convincing Canadians to endure the attendant costs and headaches.

And, your main issue doesn't even seem to be the monarchy itself, just a few of the bad characters in the Windsor family. My own suggestion would be to find another branch of the extended family willing to take their place in Canada. Maybe some distant cousins in Scandinavia who are falling into hard times would be willing to relocate to Canada to serve as our heads-of-state. The only thing we'd have to change then is the money(which is gonna happen within the next couple of decades anyway.)

Comment

^i nominate the Trudeau family, they have better hair, and it would keep them out of power

Comment

^i nominate the Trudeau family, they have better hair, and it would keep them out of power
                On a serious note, given all the sentimental wartime connections between Canada and the Netherlands, you'd think there would be some well-behaved Dutch aristocrats willing to serve as our sovereigns.

This solution would also work for the British themselves, it seems to me, if they ever get fed up with the Windsors.

Comment

Talk about revealing nervousness.

On the topic: I used to be a monarchist, but if the monarch or its leutenants are powerless or unwilling to do anything to protect us from types like Harper and his abuses, I couldn't care less whether it's a monarchy or a republic.

It is all ordure.

Comment

So wait a minute. Moa wants to abolish the monarchy here in Canada because of an unproven sex assault accusation at a guy who's not going to be King anyway? Am I reading that correctly?

Aside from the immense, costly and time-consuming constitutional overhauling, not to mention the renaming of many institutions from the RCMP to the military to our RAM, it should be pointed out that the Royal Family has achieved a renewed level of popularity. I think many people are looking forward to having Will and Kate as our future rulers.

As the Queen (played by Scott Thompson) said on Kids In The Hall - without the monarchy we're just Americans!

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Aside from the immense, costly and time-consuming constitutional overhauling, not to mention the renaming of many institutions from the RCMP to the military to our RAM

Australia has a much stronger republican movement than Canada, and some of you may recall that they had a referenduom on abolition a little over a decade ago. The republicans lost. My understanding is that one of the main reasons for the monarchist victory was that the republicans didn't present a coherent alternative to the public.

So, in the event of a Canadian referendum, anyone arguing for a republic should be prepared to have an exact alternative to the current system on offer. Don't expect the public to just go Yeah, get rid of the Queen!! Who-hoo!", with the details to follow later.

Comment

Republik of Alberta.

Has a nice ring to it!
                        Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

there is lots of monarchists in Canada aren't willing to give up aligenace to the Queen of England, so there is no hope for Canada to become republic.
                          Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Egad! People are fallible! Let's abolish all those who are fallible! Politicians, royals, police, fire, EMS personnel, army recruits, basically anyone who could represent us in any capacity to anyone else in any capacity. Even the altruistic moahunter is fallible, for your OP makes the ludicrous assumption that the monarchy is the only thing that could have embarrassing twits potentially gain power, influence, or notoriety and represent (or misrepresent) us! For sure there couldn't be a legally elected political head of a city...who definitely could not gain worldwide notoriety for his antics (including things like smoking crack, saying how he gets enough to eat at home, drunken tirades caught on tape, etc) who could somehow make our largest city, economic centre, and worldwide representative of Canada look...um...foolish?

The main reason why the monarchy doesn't ever get abolished is precisely the rationale that overoceans details...it is simply a huge effort for little to no payback, and may actually contain more drawbacks than once first realizes. It is the same for an entire impeachment process over a married guy getting a cigar-accompanied fellatio session and then lying to his wife...OH THE HUMANITY AND UNIQUENESS OF THIS EVENT...married guy has a fling and lies...OMG...let's spend billions for the sake of our republic!!!!

Bah.
                            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                              So wait a minute. Moa wants to abolish the monarchy here in Canada because of an unproven sex assault accusation at a guy who's not going to be King anyway? Am I reading that correctly?
                              Well, you might think its great having this English family be the producers of our head of state, but I don't, this is just a continuation of a long line line of scandals. And I don't buy the "its too expensive", "it works fine the way it is" arguments, we are Canadian not English, we can do better than these aristocrats technically enabling all of our laws, the sooner we split and become independent re our head of state, the better. If countries like Kenya can afford to ditch these bozos, I don't see why we can't.
                              Last edited by moahunter; 04-01-2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X