Harper changes message on Chief Justice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harper changes message on Chief Justice

The Harper spin machine is on full speed. Just like former chief of staff Nigel Wright was said to have resigned until Harper changed his story and claimed that he'd been fired. Truth is a slippery, elusive target for the Conservatives.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has revised his version of events around what he and his office first characterized as an “inappropriate” and “inadvisable” phone call by the country’s top judge over a vacancy on the Supreme Court.
    Now Harper suggests he foresaw a court challenge and legal issue he previously said “surprised” him and his advisers because it had “never arisen” before. Earlier, Harper had characterized a call by Supreme Court of Canada Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin as inappropriate, just as any minister’s call to a judge would be on a case that was before the courts.

On Wednesday, Harper appeared to suggest he simply didn’t need to speak to McLachlin.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...mclachlin.html

I will forever remember that Harper referred to a head of a branch of government as "just another judge"

The man is the conservatives larges liability, I wish a Redford on him.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

You mean a nice vacation home in Palm Springs and lots of time spent there
      Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

A public party lynching.
        "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Et tu Nigel? (as it were)

Actually Tom Flanagan has secretly become my anarchist hero. I am enjoying watching that loose canon roll around as of late.

Comment

This nothing more than another "Harper is Mean" story by the media. Judges should not be phoning PM's and PM's should not be phoning judges.

Comment

Not according to the various legal minds that have commented on it. The head of one branch of the government is free to talk to the head of another as long as they're not interfering in something that's outside of their purview.

Nice try but Harper is the one that's back peddling on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle View Post
                This nothing more than another "Harper is Mean" story by the media. Judges should not be phoning PM's and PM's should not be phoning judges.
                Agreed, the public spat is disappointing, but I don't think Trudeau or Mulclair would be impressed if a judge called them to tell them not to do something.

Comment

The Head of the supreme court and the PM talk... they have before, they will again.

If you read or do ANY research you will find out that the bench is regularly involved in some form during the selection process of future judges.

To some how represent that because one judge and one vote reaches out regarding a conflict between practice and the rules of her BRANCH (she is the head of a brach) of gov't is absurd.

Next you will say the senate cant talk to the GC and the GC cant talk to PM.

you should really do a BIT of research before you start spouting out the dribble that is found in the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                    Agreed, the public spat is disappointing, but I don't think Trudeau or Mulclair would be impressed if a judge called them to tell them not to do something.
                    No.. the PM's legal team should be advising him not what to do and not do....

but he doesn't consult or ignores them too.

He also ignores law experts, known facts about his criminal punishment "reform" he has Punished the Newfoundland for Danny Williams and served as one of Canada's longer sitting PM's with a record of doing.. well... the least.

Yep... we have been backing a winner for sure.

The Conservative party needs to Margret Thatcher him next time he is in Kiev acting like we are a world super power.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                      Completely ignoring the flip-flop on why he didn't talk tp the chief justice. It's like Harper's brain keeps changing to alternate realities she he honestly believes that he hasn't changed his mind on something, doesn't acknowledge that he ever said anything other that he has in the past. "Nigel Wright? Yes, he's a good man and I regretfully accepted his resignation as he didn't do anything wrong" vs "He was totally our of line and I fired him the second I head about it!".

Comment

Working...
                      X