Quebec Election 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quebec Election 2014

With Quebec seperation once again at the forefront of politics in that province I am surprised there have been no comments on C2E regarding the topic
    Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Originally posted by Dupa View Post
    let'em go

+ 1
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

...probably because of a lot of apathy towards this never ending threat...

...a threat that I personally feel is not as real as it was in the 1970's...at the core Quebec knows it is better within Canada than it would be otherwise...
      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
        ...probably because of a lot of apathy towards this never ending threat...
        I agree.

In fact, I think the smartest thing our Prime Minister has ever done is declare Quebec unique (i.e. his "nation within a nation" comment), then treat them exactly the same as he would any other province. That probably has done a lot to quiet anti-Quebec sentiments from elsewhere in the country.

Comment

Equalization payments in Canada
          From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equaliz...ents_in_Canada

GDP per capita
          Alberta $78,154
          Quebec $43,349
          NFLD $65,556

Per capita benefit is derived from provincial population data in other Wiki articles and the total payments cited below.
          Quebec will receive the most from equalization payments in the 2013-2014 year.[4]
          However, per capita, PEI benefits the most. In the 2013-2014 year, the following provinces will receive equalization payments:[4]
          Quebec ($7.833 billion)
          Ontario ($3.169 billion)
          Manitoba ($1.792 billion)
          New Brunswick ($1.513 billion)
          Nova Scotia ($1.458 billion)
          Prince Edward Island ($340 million)
          The following provinces will not qualify for equalization payments in 2013-2014:[4]
          Alberta
          Saskatchewan
          Newfoundland and Labrador
          British Columbia
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Must be nice to get a cool $8 billion every year. Really makes you want to work extra hard and streamline things when you live in Quebec, oh wait.......

Comment

When I first saw this thread I thought there was a Quebec election and I didn't know about it. But alas nope, just resurrection of an older thread.

As for Quebec separation, my guess is it probably will not happen in the next 5 years perhaps 20 years, with trade deals and probable border security integration with USA there might be little changes in Quebec, less English is probable but global businesses speak English primarily.

Marois did say there wouldn't be any borders or tolls, she probably meant additional tolls as they do have toll roads already (Autoroute 30).
              http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03...n_4943329.html

Comment

We'll if they leave that is a lot of money that could be used to benefit the rest of Canada.

Comment

The funny thing about separatists is that when you really start to get in to the details of how they envision this whole "separation" thing, you start to discover that they're not really after true separation. They want to keep their Canadian passports, military and currency, and if they think they can get away with it, they'd probably try to keep equalization as well. Basically, they still want the rest of the country to pay their way for most everything, but they want the strings that are attached to that cut so they can just do their own thing.

I almost want Quebec to separate so that the rest of the country can give them the finger, tell them to figure out their own passports, foreign policy, military, currency and then laugh and laugh and laugh when they invariably become the Greece of North America and come back begging for us to help them because their economy completely cratered without the rest of the country propping them up.

They already have a staggeringly high debt load, which should really be the main issue of concern for any politician or government: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/queb...says-1.2568355

Instead they keep prattling on about how unique and special they are, while completely ignoring the issues that truly matter for the future of their province.

Comment

Originally posted by Sundance
                    When I first saw this thread I thought there was a Quebec election and I didn't know about it. But alas nope, just resurrection of an older thread.
                    Alas nope, there is a Quebec election that you didn't know about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_...election,_2014

Comment

I know there is a Quebec election, but the thread said PQ won it... just wondered ... huh, what?

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                        They want to keep their Canadian passports, military and currency, and if they think they can get away with it, they'd probably try to keep equalization as well.
                        On top of that they would no doubt want to have less than their appropriate share of the federal debt.
                        Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

^ They say that the Federal Debt is Canada's debt, not Quebec's.

They reaped the benefits of Canada's largesse but refuse to pay it back.
                          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                            ^ They say that the Federal Debt is Canada's debt, not Quebec's.
                            That's hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by sundance View Post
                              I know there is a Quebec election, but the thread said PQ won it... just wondered ... huh, what?
                              It's an old thread, the title refers to the last Quebec election.

And I love the PQ's new star candidate!

Pierre Karl Peladeau

This is the owner of Sun Media, including the Sun papers and Ezra Levant's Sun News. In other words, the guy who brings you all those semi-literate "I hatez Kebeck" letters-to-the-editor every day.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, if you're a Quebec separatist, it doesn't hurt your cause to inflame anti-Quebec sentiment in the rest of the country. Though I doubt Peladeau is that conspiratorial.

Still, a pretty hilarious candidate for the PQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X