Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harper defines Calgary as the best city in the best country on earth. LOL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harper defines Calgary as the best city in the best country on earth. LOL.

Canadians across the country have raised eyebrows today over Harpers relentless statements of Calgary being the best city in Canada during his visit to his "hometown" during Stampede though he is originally from Toronto.

I think is he just trying to suck up for votes in his own riding but as PM he needs to label the entire country as "The Best Place on Earth" otherwise it comes up like President George W Bush during his presidency on bragging about Houston and Texas as being the best parts of The USA.

Calgary to me during 10 Days in July may be the "best city" in Canada but the other 355 days of the years NOT!

It is one of the best places in Canada...the best? Maybe

Comment

It was probably something along the lines of a band saying "Hello <insert random city here>, you guys are the most amazing crowd yet!"

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on it. Probably blown a little out of proportion.

Comment

Ralph Klein said the same thing... it looks like we need a new leader.
        Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

I grew up here in Edmonton, Went to University in Calgary twice for a total of 6 years and spend 12 years in Vancouver. And moved back home to Edmonton after a time in Glasgow. Each city has its pros and cons there is no such thing as " the best city in "anywhere" or on planet earth.

Calgarians are best at throwing a 10 day Stampede I will give them that,

For economic growth presently they are lagging behind Edmonton, For Scenery and climate Victoria/Vancouver wins, Culture??? Any large city in Canada stands in front probably.

For Hockey, Football Championship wins hmmmmm Flames 1 Oilers 5, Stamps trail the Esks so far back for Grey Cups wins you cannot even see the headlights of the Stamps bus in the Esks rearview mirror.

Housing prices/costs and infrastructure issues such as 1/3 completed Stony Trail ringroad stalled due to land issues with the First Nations land on the west side of Calgary while AHD will near completion once the last small stretch is done within a few years.

If it was truly the best city in Canada and or the planet earth it would have been sealed off under a dome and used as a dystopian Science Fiction set or Museum piece. LOL.

To Londoners, Moscovites, Parisians, New Yorkers, Athenians, Cape Towners, Houstonians, Beijingers, Glaswegians and yes here in Canada even Torontonians , Edmontonians even Cranbrookers they all live in the best cities on earth because they are HOME.

For Harper to state that privately fine, Publicly just shows he is a show off to the people who voted for him in his riding. while annoying the rest of the country with his increasingly "holier than thou hillbilly Calgary is heaven attitude"

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasH View Post
            Ralph Klein said the same thing... it looks like we need a new leader.

Klein came across as arrogant in regards to Calgary when he was the so called Premier of "ALBERTA" Harper is heading down the same road. When he gets back to Ottawa i'm sure he will be "Harpooned" for the backwater remark...LOL

If he was Mayor of Calgary like Nenshi that is fine as that is what Mayors are supposed to do.
            Last edited by NielCole; 11-07-2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Agree 100% with both of the previous posts.

Comment

I forgot, In 1988 Calgary did have the best Winter Olympics to date but in 2010 Vancouver squashed them because that time around we were on top of the list in Gold Medals. In Calgary humbly we wept with joy landing a couple of Silver medals....The World watched us in 2010 while in 1988 they could not find us on the maps.... Nothing stays the best ever.

Comment

I prefer thunder bay

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Since Harper is running Canada like it is North Korea anyways they can just rename Calgary "Harpyong" or "Calyong" and his adoring masses can stand in Olympic Plaza waving bouquets of Wild Roses at him while he stands at the podium in his way too tight red shirt and black cowboy hat saluting with the wavy wavy hand at the Chuckwagons as they parade by in perfect formation.

Those of us who live outside "The South" LOL can continue to live our free and diverse lives here in the North! While we just watch Harper address his loyalists in Calyong on youtube and **** ourselves laughing at how that great city is #1 the planet.
                    Last edited by NielCole; 11-07-2012, 10:46 PM.

Comment

What I found funny about this whole story is that he refuses to divulge a favorite NHL team for presumed political reasons, but he can choose a favorite city. Either they assume that the average canadian is more defensive of their team than their city, or...

He may actually be a leafs fan, and afraid that making that info public could lose him an election in calgary.

Comment

I wonder if, under Harper's tenure, Calgary could possibly become the National Capital rather than Ottawa.
                        The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
                        It's heaven and hell!

Comment

We used to hear similar stuff about Shawinigan, Quebec when Chretien was in power, I don't see the big deal with a PM having a favourite city. At least there is no Calgary Handshake yet
                          Last edited by moahunter; 12-07-2012, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                            I don't see the big deal with a PM having a favourite city.
                            True, but why advertise it?

If a parent has four kids, should the parent proudly point out which is their favorite child?
                            The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
                            It's heaven and hell!

Comment

^the PM isn't my parent, I have no issue with any PM having a favourite, including Cretchen (he even got a beer named after his hometown), including Harper. Just because you are PM, doesn't mean you aren't human anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X