Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this be where the Canadian prison system is heading too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be where the Canadian prison system is heading too?

Corrections Corporation of America, the nation's largest operator of for-profit prisons, has sent letters recently to 48 states offering to buy up their prisons as a remedy for "challenging corrections budgets." In exchange, the company is asking for a 20-year management contract, plus an assurance that the prison would remain at least 90 percent full, according to a copy of the letter obtained by The Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...nada&ir=Canada

... God bless america...

What i love about Harper is that mand min sentences for drug offences has now started a very real talk about the legalization of pot.

I love Canada..... we are a SMART people.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Wow. How would the government guarantee at least 90% full? I guess by denying more prisons being built.

Comment

And mandatory minimum sentences. Hmmmm, where have we seen that recently?

Comment

Originally posted by JBear View Post
          Wow. How would the government guarantee at least 90% full? I guess by denying more prisons being built.
          In all honest.. this has been reduced to soundbites... it's more likely that if the prison isn't 90% full there is a claw back. They are just minimizing risk..

It would be nice to see bonuses paid to social organizations based on prison population reductions.

NOW THERE is a smart idea.
          "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
            What i love about Harper is that mand min sentences for drug offences has now started a very real talk about the legalization of pot.
            This much is true. Every day more and more high profile names are coming out in support of legalization.

This is much more than a 'fringe' issue as it has been before
            youtube.com/BrothersGrim
            facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

I don't think so.......

Personally, I'd like to see prisons 'outsourced' to faraway low-cost countries. It costs C$ 80-100K/year to house a single prisoners (max. security is more, I suppose). I'm sure we could find places where it could be done for a third of the cost (even including once-a-year round trip ticket for a spouse or parent to visit).

Comment

Originally posted by Cal76 View Post
                I don't think so.......

Personally, I'd like to see prisons 'outsourced' to faraway low-cost countries. It costs C$ 80-100K/year to house a single prisoners (max. security is more, I suppose). I'm sure we could find places where it could be done for a third of the cost (even including once-a-year round trip ticket for a spouse or parent to visit).
                That's been done before...and we ended up with countries like Australia!
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Problem with for profit prisons are the rather below standard conditions. How far will we go... brutal work camps like north korea? Death camps like nazi germany?

I would not be surprised as this government loves punishment

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                    That's been done before...and we ended up with countries like Australia
                    Love Oz, we've family down there.

Comment

Originally posted by AAAAE View Post
                      Problem with for profit prisons are the rather below standard conditions. How far will we go... brutal work camps like north korea? Death camps like nazi germany?

Yep, they could thinking, hmmm, we've got lots of nice cool islands way up north.
                      Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Originally posted by howie View Post
                        Originally posted by AAAAE View Post

Yep, they could thinking, hmmm, we've got lots of nice cool islands way up north.
                        What's wrong with that? Should prisons really be so comfortable to the point where the prisoner lives better than the average tax paying Canadian? I am not saying work camps or death camps are a good idea but so what if the prisoners don't get big screen tv's and so what if the prisoners don't get to play Xbox or have time to go on the Internet.

Comment

You're not saying ewpork camps are a good idea, Mla? Get a grip. You just did.

God, you Conservatives are all such gutless cowards. Believe what you like. But take responsibility for your beliefs.

Comment

Um nope I don't believe work camps are a good idea. Stop trying to put words in my mouth. Gutless how? I work in public service and deal with criminals and the homeless on a daily basis. I think I would understand how these people think over you who probably works a cushy desk job. I think you're the one who doesn't understand.
                            Last edited by Mla; 19-02-2012, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Let's put the pensioners in jail and the criminals in a nursing home. This way the pensioners would have access to showers, hobbies and walks. They'd receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental and medical treatment, wheel chairs, etc.

They would have constant video monitoring, so they could be helped instantly, if they fell, or needed assistance.

Bedding would be washed twice a week, and all clothing would be ironed and returned to them. A guard would check on them every 20 minutes and bring their meals and snacks to their cell.
                              They would have family visits in a suite built for that purpose.

They would have access to a library, weight room, spiritual counseling, pool and education.
                              Simple clothing, shoes, slippers, PJ's and legal aid would be free, on request. Private, secure rooms for all, with an exercise outdoor yard, with gardens. Each senior could have a PC a TV radio and daily phone calls.

There would be a board of directors to hear complaints, and the guards would have a code of conduct that would be strictly adhered to.

The "criminals" would get cold food, be left all alone and unsupervised. Lights off at 8pm, and showers once a week. Live in a tiny room and pay $1600.00 per month and have no hope of ever getting out.
                              Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Working...
                              X