Why Harper is still leading us - he is one of us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Harper is still leading us - he is one of us

Interesting article in the Globe and Mail about the PM. This paragraph sums it up for me, the opposition just doesn't have anyone who resonates with people the way Harper does:

What I saw in Stephen Harper at the beginning of this decade is what I still see in him — a chap who, though unlikely to resonate with the majority of Quebeckers, is an exemplar of middle class English-speaking Canada. And, who — besides all his other qualities — could withstand Liberal assaults to brand him as some kind of fanatic, as they had done to Stockwell Day.

Educated in Canada — in public schools and in public universities — and whip smart, you’ll never catch him exhibiting the kind of intellectual arrogance that is part of Michael Ignatieff’s problem connecting with voters.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs...rticle1412343/
    Last edited by moahunter; 26-12-2009, 11:21 AM. Reason: duplicated word "about"

I would love to resonate him out of office.

Comment

why? I'd be nice if you actually gave some context behind your one-liners
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

I love these political discussions. Back in the days of the Perogy Parliament, I remember saying one little thing...that Dion and the Unda Two Dollah Coalition of the Also Rans and Never Will Be's didn't do anything to inspire confidence in the electorate and came across looking disorganized and aspiring for a cheap power grab. It was All "Bad Harper, Bad", all the time, 24X7...

Fast forward to today, and Iggy and co. are still having the same issues. They cannot inspire enough Canadians to give a darn to want to overthrow the current minority government.

How long does it take for people to figure it out? Charisma is a huge portion of the game here, and if you think that the leader of the current government lacks charisma, and your challengers can't "easily out-do" that charismatically-challenged Prime Minister...hmmm.

You'd think that here in Alberta, we'd have a good handle on this...what with 33 years of PC rule and the only time it was really threatened was when a man who challenged Klein for loyalty and charisma took the helm of the Liberals...but then...they haven't figured it out since then either...

After all, what kept Trudeau in power when his policies resonated poorly with the electorate? Mulroney? Clinton? Chretien...what was he up against...a fractured right, and a ranting and salivating left with a good smattering of separation soothsaying thrown in...there was no igniting charismatic leader on the other side to "get 'er done"....

No matter how good your message is...it is lost if you cannot inspire...
        My hope is that you can finally get rid of the anger in your heart, and fill it with peace, compassion, understanding, and a desire to uplift rather than suppress.

After all, we are all together on this home, this pale blue dot, the "only home we've ever known.”

Comment

Is it me, or is that article nothing more than heavy propaganda?
          That Spector guy is a total fanboy and hasn't got the slightest clue.
          Harper is from Ontario, his policies have all but alienated his original conservative base, and he used the Bloc to hamstring the Liberals when he got in power.
          He has no personality and only started looking more human after paying an image consultant.

Comment

Isn't Harper from Calgary?
            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Harper is still PM because there is no viable alternative.
              That being said I still hold my nose and vote Liberal every election just for sh*ts and giggles.
              (Voting for Dion killed me)
              $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Comment

Medwards,
                it would be nice if you checked his bio before giving your one liners.

about bouncing harper, I think politics is second most topic that I write about on this board. you have probably read a few of my thoughts on harper and the whole "conservative" way to govern.

Comment

Originally posted by armin View Post
                  Is it me, or is that article nothing more than heavy propaganda?
                  That Spector guy is a total fanboy and hasn't got the slightest clue.
                  Did you read the whole article? It wasn't all complimentary:

Though the gains in his standing this year have been impressive — much as are economic growth numbers when a country emerges from a deep recession — Mr. Harper is basically back where he was in public opinion before the coalition crisis of last year.
                  What is interesitng to me is that so many people "hate" Harper with a vengence. I can't remember that with Paul Martin as an example, the worst I remember that attracted to him was the dithering (similar to Ed Stelmac now). If you look at Harper himself without the political blinders on, he is like a typical Canadian, he certainly comes across more down to earth than the Liberal leaders of late, and isn't warped out of the 1950's like Layton. He does have a certain charisma, and until the opposition can match that, they won't topple him.

Comment

The Opposition had better be quietly talking and prepared to approach the GG at the first sign of an issue, either that or go the polls and let Cdn's decide if they want to go on with this charade.
                    He's had three years to demonstrate an ability to cooperate with others. He has failed miserable in this effort.
                    To give him an opportunity to breach yet another promise, that he would never appoint Senators, would be absurd.
                    As for the Opposition, don't tell him what you're doing. He doesn't tell you what his gov't is doing! JUST GO AHEAD AND DO IT!
                    How can we possibly be going to places like Afghanistan and telling the people there to accept Democracy when we have a gov't that isn't willing to practice it themselves. Perhaps this is why Harper had no problem with Karzai fixing the Afghan election, clearly, he does not believe in Democratic process!
                    Shameful.....widman wrote.
                    Time will tell on this new Alberta Government.

Comment

Originally posted by whynow99 View Post
                      He's had three years to demonstrate an ability to cooperate with others. He has failed miserable in this effort.
                      You can choose to spin it that way. I choose to think of Harper as the Prime Minister of the longest-ruling minority government in Canada's history. History proves is not unfit for his job.

Comment

I'm no big fan of Harper, but since when has ANY federal minority government shown an ability to cooperate with others? Or opposition party for that matter? The parties jockey for position and pull the trigger for an election for whenever they perceive to have enough of an advantage to secure a majority. Harper's doing no different, although he did miscalculate the last election with his goof up about arts funding in Quebec most likely costing him the majority he seeks.

What I find disconcerting about the current government is their rampant secrecy and unwillingness to submit to Parliament's will in regards to the Afghan imprisonment/torture memos. Their refusal to release information could potentially lead to a constitutional crisis about whether or not the government has an obligation to obey Parliament (or rather the House of Commons): http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/12/21/p...nt-will-fight/

Keep in mind the "problem" of detainee torture in Afghanistan is not the sole responsibility of the Conservatives, but the Liberals before them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                          What I find disconcerting about the current government is their rampant secrecy and unwillingness to submit to Parliament's will in regards to the Afghan imprisonment/torture memos.
                          The last Liberal government was secretive (a certain adscam jumps to mind). I think all governments have to control information, those who are better at it, can govern better, as they aren't jumping endlessly from one scandal to the next.

You should start a thread on the Afghan tortue issue. I don't think it is exclusive to the Conservatives though (the Liberal party first sent troops there). It isn't a good situation for a variety of reasons, at the end of the day though when Western troops pull out, their will be more tortue and abuse going on, not less. I actually think most Canadians realize it is a mess over there, and understand that Canadian troops themselves were not doing the tortue. This is why, despite the failings in command and efforts of the opposition, it hasn't caught on as a big issue with the public.
                          Last edited by moahunter; 28-12-2009, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I'd have to agree. The Liberals gov't was just as secretive but simply did a better job of playing it off as not being secretive.

However, it goes to show that a person with a bit of character, charisma, and way of relating to the electorate will be able to get away with quite a bit. Look at the antics of Klein, Trudeau, or even Chretien. Nothing ever amounted to political suicide for them. If anything, each little incident revealed them as real people which appealed to Canadians/Albertans.

(The Klein issue is another all together. I don't think he would have lasted in other provinces OR if our opposition had been more of a viable alternative).
                            LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/200...on-harper.html

If he does so again, it would be a pretty disgusting display of the contempt he has for Parliament and democratic process.

Comment

Working...
                              X