Federal Conservative Leadership Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Conservative Leadership Race

The rules still haven't been announced, so candidates aren't official yet either. But they've picked the date as the same day as Pride in Toronto, which they claim to be a coincidence. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It'll be interesting to see whether that proves to be a prescient move (in the case that they pick someone who's not a caveman) or if it blows up in their face (Brad Trost or someone similar).

Bryan Brulotte seems to be an interesting candidate who's made it clear he'll be in the race. His resume seems pretty impressive, and *gasp*, he's not the "career politician" that has led the Conservative Party since it's founding/amalgamation. He's been involved in politics for decades, but more behind the scenes. He's from Quebec and fluently bilingual. He was even in the military. I haven't read the policy document he's released, just a CP story on him (https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/20...3#.XhNSR9JKhjG), but it's got some interesting ideas in it. Imagine that, ideas! Not one reference to Justin Trudeau, even.

Past that, hard to guess who else will be in the race and what will happen at this early stage. Here's to hoping that the Conservatives pick a centrist candidate, and not a regressive one.

Hopefully they will come out with someone who can come up with more of an election platform that 'F$#% Trudeau, vote for me'
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

I'm hoping Rona considers running

Comment

Rona is not the answer. Cringes.
        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by sundance View Post
          I'm hoping Rona considers running
          Only if she has a shovel and a dumpster to rid the party of all the extremists in the party.
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

The Reform wing is probably thinking that the problem was that Scheer wasn't right-wing enough and will push for someone more Trumpian.

Comment

Based on the last leadership race, I wouldn't be surprised if the "winner" has already been decided. After all, we're talking about people who have no problem with Kenney backing a fake candidate in order to attack his opponent. Or the fact that in the last leadership race, 141,362 votes were counted despite there being only 133,896 registered members. Where did those other 7,000 votes come from?

PUBLISHED JUNE 4, 2017

An official from the Kellie Leitch campaign is raising new concerns over the voting process used in the recent Conservative leadership race, fuelling questions over Andrew Scheer's razor-thin victory.

Last week, members of Conservative MP Maxime Bernier's team publicly called on the party to explain a 7,466-vote discrepancy in the final ballot count. The Conservative Party said 141,362 voters were counted, but the list of members who voted, as provided to the various leadership camps, included only 133,896 names.

Over the weekend, a senior member of Ms. Leitch's campaign raised questions over the exact role played by officials at the accounting firm Deloitte during the process. While Conservative Party president Scott Lamb said last week the results of the race were "audited," former Conservative MP Bob Dechert said the level of oversight was far lower.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...cYuqP4-nwBPr4k

Comment

They need to find some white old male that will fight against abortion, gay rights, and global warming.

Comment

^

hmm... i probably fall into the "some white old male" small c conservative category.

but i happen to believe in a woman's right to an abortion with no outside interference between her and her doctor, gay rights as long as gay includes the entire lgbtqx2 community, and global warming.

damn, i guess i'll just have to keep doing what i'm doing instead of entering the race to run the country.
                  Last edited by kcantor; 14-01-2020, 02:58 PM.
                  "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

... and the loser in the Conservative leadership race is transparency.
                    Baird report on Conservative election campaign finished, won't be made public

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/bair...blic-1.4766753

Comment

I wonder if they'll allow kamikaze candidates?

Comment

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                        I wonder if they'll allow kamikaze candidates?
                        probably only if you're agreeing to fly the plane...
                        "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Well Andrew Scheer crashed and burned.

R.I.P.

Retired Insurance Proprietor
                          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post

probably only if you're agreeing to fly the plane...
                            But Kenney and his campaign say that it's perfectly normal and it happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
                              ... and the loser in the Conservative leadership race is transparency.
                              It's a report on internal party processes and strategy. Of course they're not going to air their dirty laundry in public and hand the Liberals their playbook.

Things are getting interesting within Conservative circles: https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ott...box=1579107466

Comment

Working...
                              X