Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Originally posted by Gemini View Post
    I would hate to think 20 years down the road we are still trudging off to a polling booth to cast a vote.
    Not only that, but having to stand in line, and then when it's your turn, wait 5 minutes while some old half-blind biddy looks for your name on the voting list before you get your ballot. I think, even if we still have to trudge off to a polling station, technology can still improve things.
    Half blind biddy. Actually, when I voted last time the guy was a real piece of eye candy. Us women did not mind if he took 5 minutes or longer to find our names.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

RTA

Thanks for the information...

I agree with you completely...a change of government is very different from online purchasing and at this time I don't believe the technology exists to make it secure.

Sometime back I recall a hacker breaking into the NATO computer system...thats about as secure as possible with multi layers etc etc. If they can get in there you bet they can mess with election data.

The other point that I think gets missed is it is only one more step in isolating people from the system and reducing our societies interaction with each other.

Tom

Comment

If walking a couple blocks to vote (or mailing one in) is too much of a bother, then no vote for you.

I don't trust the security of online voting. But then, I don't have 100% faith in the current system either. I could see some left or right wing whacko without a life outside of computers finding a way to vote thousands of times.
        aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

^ The current system is pretty decent, and if you want to help ensure its security, you can actually apply for a (paid, I believe) position as a Deputy Returning Officer or a Poll Clerk during an election to help ensure the votes are being counted properly. I'm actually not sure what the application process is, but I believe you apply to the Returning Officer for your (or possibly another) electoral district.
          Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
            Canadians support online voting: poll
            Last Updated: Thursday, December 17, 2009 | 5:59 PM ET
            CBC News

"Nearly two-thirds of Canadians would be very likely or somewhat likely to vote online in the next federal election, a new EKOS poll suggests."

...Wow, getting up past 60% of Canadians are willing to lean forward in their chair and press a button to influence the political future of their country - and who says Canadians are politically apathetic?

Comment

Hackers, viruses threaten online voting validity

http://www.thestar.com/news/sciencet...oting-validity
              Democracy depends upon a fair, accurate and transparent electoral process with outcomes that can be independently verified. Conventional voting accomplishes many of these goals – private polling stations enable citizens to cast their votes anonymously, election-day scrutineers offer independent oversight and paper-based ballots provide a verifiable outcome that can be re-counted if necessary.

While technology may someday allow us to replicate these essential features online, many of them are currently absent from Internet voting, which is subject to any number of possible disruptions. These include denial-of-service attacks that shut down the election process, counterfeit websites, phishing attacks, hacks into the election system or the insertion of computer viruses that tamper with election results.

Comment

^does this stop on-line banking?

I think it is inevitable. There is nothing perfect about the current system either, which is just as open to fraud with people presenting themselves as somebody they are not.

One interesting thing that might arise as on-line voting technology improves, is whether or not more issues might open up to referendum as the costs decline. It might be nice if, for example, on-line petitions could force binding referendums on issus like legalizing pot.

Comment

I prefer the in person approach. It's difficult enough to ensure the integrity with that, but it's nowhere near as open to fraud. There's no guarantee at all when you can't see who is doing the online voting. If a person is too lazy or unmotivated to get out of their chair and go vote, then they don't really care enough to educate themselves on the issues anyway.

I like the ink finger method.

The current system works fine. It's apathy that's the issue, not ease of voting, in most cases.
                  Last edited by Jimbo; 14-03-2010, 05:57 PM.
                  aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                    ^does this stop on-line banking?
                    As mentioned earlier in the thread, there is no comparison here. Banking is insured against things like fraud. You can't insure a vote in an election. Not to mention that the stakes in the election of a G8 nation are much much higher than if someone loses a few thousand dollars to hacking or fraud.

Comparing online voting to online banking is fallacious.

I think it is inevitable.
                    Maybe, but the technology as it exists today is simply not ready for this application.

There is nothing perfect about the current system either, which is just as open to fraud with people presenting themselves as somebody they are not.
                    If the current system is imperfect, then how can a system that adds even more uncertainty, anonymity, potential for fraud and vectors of technological attack be even a remotely good idea?

One interesting thing that might arise as on-line voting technology improves, is whether or not more issues might open up to referendum as the costs decline. It might be nice if, for example, on-line petitions could force binding referendums on issus like legalizing pot.
                    Possibly if the technology evolves to a point where it is feasible.

Comment

Is increased voter turnout going to improve the quality of governance? Is it going to improve our democracy?

Why don't we survey 100,000 adult Canadians to find out if they know the answers to:
                      -name the last 5 Prime Ministers
                      -name the 3 levels of government
                      -which level of government is responsible for healthcare
                      -name the level of government responsible for mass transit
                      -what is the role of the Governor General?

What would the results be? How many would get even 4 out of 5?

Our concern is voter turnout? And to achieve higher voter turnout we are going to eliminate the paper ballot (which proves votes) and jeopardize the secret ballot?

Comment

I don't think low voter turnout is a problem, either.

Comment

^ At least not one that can be solved by simply making voting more accessible. Voter apathy != voter laziness, the later of what seems to be the assumed problem that online voting purports to solve, when the former of which is the real problem, and they are not the same thing at all.

Comment

I agree. People who don't vote don't do it because it's "not convenient enough".

They don't vote because they either don't care, or don't understand how much different governments can affect their lives.

Comment

Working...
                            X