No announcement yet.

Time to do away with separate schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around 40% of new schools being built are Catholic while only a quarter of the population are Catholic and less than that direct their education taxes to Catholic boards. In St. Albert a new Catholic school is being built while enrolment is falling. In Edmonton 17% of tax payers direct their education tax to the Catholic board. I would think we should stop building new Catholic schools until at least 80% of the schools are part of the public board.

If St. Albert is becoming LESS saintly, why do we keep making new schools Catholic?

In St. Albert, in the 5 years from 2012 to 2017, the population has grown by around 3,500 people – or 7% to 65,000.The Public school district has seen student growth of almost 20%, from over 6,500 to almost 7,800 in that same period.
    Yet in that same timeframe, in a period of significant population growth for the City of St. Albert, Catholic school enrolment in the city has DROPPED.
    From 4128 in 2013 to 3632 in 2017, enrolment in Catholic schools actually fell by almost 500 students, or 12%.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

• I don't see why there is such a resistance to having one school system throughout all Alberta. Probably like implementing a provincial sales tax. If a party does it they think it will be political suicide. If people want their kids to be taught their religion it should be done in churches/mosques/temples etc.
      Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

• In case you're not aware, a social movement is underway — led by many prominent Albertans — to abolish Alberta's duplicate, wasteful and exclusive Catholic school system.

If you're already aware of the many reasons to join the other seven provinces who have long ago abolished publicly funded faith-based schools systems (e.g. Quebec, Nfld/Labrador, etc.), then please signal your support and sign our petition for a provincial referendum: http://www.ouridea.ca/referendum

And if you're not up-to-date on this elephant-in-the-room issue, I invite you to read some of the blog articles from David King, Alberta's former education minister: http://www.ouridea.ca/blog

We now have 3,000 passionate members across Alberta (including many Catholics and leaders in the Catholic community who understand that religious entitlement is a wasteful injustice that is taking money away from classrooms.
        Edmonton: Capital of Canada's Bold West!

Comment

Working...
        X