No announcement yet.

Time to do away with separate schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to do away with separate schools?

What exactly is separate school education, and what does it mean for Albertans?
    http://changenowforgood.ca/exactly-s...ean-albertans/

Roman Catholic separate schools are not simply “public schools by another name”. They represent a “State-Church” connection that favours one denomination in a way that is denied to every other denomination. One question that needs to be asked is whether favouring one denomination is favouring one too many. Another question that needs to be asked is whether State sponsored separate schools are consistent with our expectations and aspirations for Alberta at the beginning of the 21st century.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yup. It's so wasteful to build a parallel, duplicated school system.
    Also, this should be good. I'm gonna grab the popcorn.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Comment

I redirect all my school taxes to the separate system, for both houses

I am not catholic nor do I support the separate system. but until the EPSB stops gutting inner city neighborhoods they won't get a dime of my money
      Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

I went to a Catholic school but over the decades, the RC influence has diminished greatly. I am not Catholic anymore. It is surprising how many students are not Catholic and have never gone to a church. Many parents choose the Separate School system for a variety of reasons from: location, better programs, disgruntlement with public schools, etc.

The Public Schools now offer a Christian program to compete with Separate Schools called Logos https://www.epsb.ca/programs/faith-b...ogoschristian/

It shows that competition is a good thing even within schools. If the Separate Schools were not being competitive or offering a poor education, they would wither and die on their own. They haven't, so why do away with something taxpayers are willing to support with their tax dollars and their own kids education?
        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Maybe the competition is good. We can remove the religion from it and the competition remains the same.
          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Then you will have to remove religion from the Public Schools as well.
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post

I am not catholic nor do I support the separate system. but until the EPSB stops gutting inner city neighborhoods they won't get a dime of my money
              What is "gutting" - closing schools?
              Does the Catholic system do better in the inner city?
              I think I will do the same due to Victoria becoming an exclusive school.

Comment

^ Yes.. closing schools.

In Parkdale, the public school was driven to failure by the policies set forth by the EPSB

The cathiolic school, St. Alphonsus, has thrived.

So obviosuly the EPSB is doing something wrong in these central schools
                Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by workworkwork View Post
                  Originally posted by 240GLT View Post

What is "gutting" - closing schools?
                  Does the Catholic system do better in the inner city?
                  I think I will do the same due to Victoria becoming an exclusive school.
                  An exclusive school? In what way is Victoria exclusive? It has one of the greatest demands for enrollment and they cannot accept everyone. When my daughter went there a few years ago, many of the students going there were not even from Edmonton but came from St. Albert, Sherwood Park, Spruce Grove and even Beaumont.

That is one inner city schools that is thriving. It is a shame IMHO that the LRT line does not stop for this high transit demand location.

Comment

I attended a small town Catholic school but ceased to be a practicing Catholic once I went out on my own. My Grade 12 graduating class was about 26 people; the public school had like 300 grads. While the smaller class sizes had their advantages, if I were to relive that life I'd have gone to the public school.

Earlier this year, my alma mater had like 12 grads to the usual 300 public school grads. I've noticed similar grad numbers in other small towns throughout Alberta, even in the Bible belt between Edmonton and Calgary. So I wonder if the separate system is slowing dying out.

The other issue I have with separate schools - why Catholic? Why not a separate taxpayer-funded school system for the United Church? for the Anglican Church? For Baptists? How about for Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, etc?
                    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 15-12-2014, 11:05 AM.
                    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

^^ The LRT will stop a couple of blocks from Victoria school (if the delays ever end). Not a long walk for the average student.

I also find the duplication wasteful, and I have issues with treating one particular religious program much differently from the rest, so I support merging the school boards. As for EPSB's rabid closing of inner city schools, while it certainly is a big problem, it is a governance issue, not a structural issue.

Comment

I'm an atheist, but I also believe in a free market, and think competition is a good thing. Its not wasteful or duplicative that I can buy a coke or a pepsi, or an Android or IOS. They push each other to be better. While I wouldn't send my children to a Catholic school, I think its fine that people have that choice. Ideally, there would be even more choices, with privately run schools getting the same funding per capita that public schools get.

Comment

Time? I attended Catholic School system until post secondary. Starting in 67.

imho it was time then. None of the kids on the block could understand, follow, or want the imposed jurisdiction that caused some of us to trot out to Public, and Separate, schools. Which we best recognized as "Some sneeches have stars on bellies and some don't."

Being preschool that was our determination. It was a laughable and unnecessary segregation.
                          None of our families were different, none of them behaved differently, there was no discernible reason for the great division. No reason for the perpetuation of age oid polarization.

Preschoolers recognized the distinct and arbitrary line in the sand on this. With this being so non apparent that we had to ask our parents and each other which schools we would end up going to and how sublimely silly that all seemed in non secular neighborhoods in non secular life.

Wisdom apparently being lost with age..
                          Last edited by Replacement; 15-12-2014, 11:02 AM.
                          "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

It's a good idea, but the separate catholic school system is integral in to Alberta's acceptance in to confederation. I don't know what would be required, constitutional amendment? Would nixing the separate board force Alberta out of confederation?

Comment

I'm quite sure that Alberta's stance in Confederation would remain unchanged. I don't see Canada kicking Alberta out.

Has anyone ever put together a true pro/con list?
                              President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Working...
                              X