X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Universities Allowed to drop college from names

It's about time.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...396/story.html

Curious if all the private universities in Alberta are religiously based?

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Kings - Dutch Reform
      Canadian - Seventh Day Adventist
      St Mary's - Catholic (Open Enrolment)
      Ambrose - Nazerene
      Concordia - Formerly Lutheran (Less and Less every year) (Open Enrolment)

Comment

So yes.

Comment

Bad idea. Faith schools and public universities do not mix under any circumstances. These place should be denied all public funding. Let the faithful support their own faith.

Comment

Amen to that. If your creator is all powerful, surely funding his own operations should be trivial.
            Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Originally posted by AShetsen View Post
              Bad idea. Faith schools and public universities do not mix under any circumstances. These place should be denied all public funding. Let the faithful support their own faith.
              I'm sure the 'faithful' pay taxes too.

Comment

Even more so, they shouldn't be receiving funding increases when everyone else is getting cut:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/217378835/...ing-comparison

Comment

Originally posted by Tox View Post
                  Kings - Dutch Reform
                  Ambrose - Nazerene
                  Actually Kings was started by the Christian Reformed Church not Dutch reform(?) whatever that is. I know that Kings and Ambrose particularly are not closed to students of those denominations only. They also welcome and have many students from many other denominations and faiths such as Muslim and Atheist student.

I also did not see anywhere in the story that granting these institutions full university status gave them public funding?

Comment

Originally posted by exiledincgy View Post
                    Kings - Dutch Reform
                    Ambrose - Nazerene
                    Actually Kings was started by the Christian Reformed Church not Dutch reform(?) whatever that is. I know that Kings and Ambrose particularly are not closed to students of those denominations only. They also welcome and have many students from many other denominations and faiths such as Muslim and Atheist student.

I also did not see anywhere in the story that granting these institutions full university status gave them public funding?
                    I believe the only change is in their names. They already received public funding.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
                      Originally posted by exiledincgy View Post
                      Kings - Dutch Reform
                      Ambrose - Nazerene

I believe the only change is in their names. They already received public funding.
                      They receive partial public funding, about 60%/per student of what a fully public institution receives.

Also my apologies on the "Kings - Dutch Reformed." Christian reformed is indeed correct.
                      Last edited by Tox; 03-07-2014, 05:00 PM. Reason: Removed extra word.

Comment

I agree. I'd also like to see a stop of public funding to Edmonton Catholic Schools.

Comment

We need to change the Constitution & stop giving Catholics preferential treatment.

It's discriminatory to other faiths/belief systems & it's a ridiculous waste of money thanks to needless duplication of administrative functions.

And that's not even touching on the use of public funds to indoctrinate people into superstitious dogma & supernaturalism.
                          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

It's not just a Catholic problem. The Protestant, Moslem, Jewish, and other organizations also wade into politics regularly, hiding behind the so-called freedom of religion.

If I had my way, whenever any registered cleric or religious leader, of whatever denomination made a political statement, the entire organization he or she represents would be stripped of their tax-free status for ten years.

I am quite anti-atheist, by the way. But if we accept personal freedom of conscience, we must as a corollary accept a total freedom FROM organized religion in the spheres of governance and public funding.
                            Last edited by AShetsen; 04-07-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

If I had my way, whenever any registered cleric or religious leader, of whatever denomination made a political statement, the entire organization he or she represents would be stripped of their tax-free status for ten years.
                              Why would you want to strip a citizen of their right to comment on politics just because they happen to be in a leadership position in a religious organization? Would the same apply to anyone involved with a charity as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X