Private Universities Allowed to drop college from names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I get it. You have anger issues and can't get past them because you do not have empathy nor consideration of other peoples rights to freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion.

If you had your way, you would have all us people of faith: Jewish, Hindus, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists and all of the other religions you call superstitions ( nice of you to put the world's religions under one banner that includes 6 billion religious people people out of 7 billion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...us_populations) into camps to be indoctrinated in what you think we should believe in. You are in the minority. If you don't like it, get yourself elected and change the school system, the Constitution and the Charter of Rights. It not only protects Christians from people like you but also all the other religions you call superstitions and we are a pluralistic society which I am proud to be part of.

If a Muslim or Jewish group wants to start a University in Alberta and get taxpayer funding, I have no issues with it. As you have experienced, you found that the quality of the education by your own admission was better than the public system. You should not complain about an education system that you benefited from both from the education you received but also put food on your table and cloths on your back with the income your mother brought home that included tax dollars from other Christians who directed their hard earned tax dollars to the separate school system. Maybe you would like living in China better?

What exactly do you believe in? Jedism? Athiesm? C2Eism? Orwellism?
    We are also slaves and beneficiaries of historical developments in this country that make some factors near impossible to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
      What exactly do you believe in? Jedism? Athiesm? C2Eism? Orwellism?
      This. All the morals & ethics, none of the superstition and woo woo magic & ritual.
      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

So your great Humanism with all your morals and ethics gives you the right to tell everyone who believes in a higher being they are a bunch of idiots?

Boy do you have a Holier than thou attitude.

You are not a Humanist but rather the darker and more sinister form, an Elitist.
        Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 06-07-2014, 08:25 AM.
        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

No, I am denying your supposition that as a believer you are special in any way & deserving of anything more or less than anyone else.

Catholics have it better than any other faith when it comes to religious instruction during compulsory education & this isn't right. Favouritism is discrimination.

I'm not saying you're an *****. I'm just saying your superstitions aren't valid for any sort of special consideration via public funding.

Do I think believers lack critical thinking skills? Yeah. Any time you have to use "faith" as a bandaid to cover over gaps or smooth out contradictions you've lost an opportunity to gain insight & that's a lack of critical thinking. "No need to worry about the details, my invisible friend will sort it out when I'm dead."
          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
            Do I think believers lack critical thinking skills? Yeah.
            So you ARE an elitist who prejudges people based upon their faith. You think your "faith" in Humanism makes you of superior intellect and belivers are not worthy of your intelligence. First of all I am NOT a Catholic but my faith or faithlessness is not on debate here. You are just trying to throw the other debaters under the bus with your ad hominem attacks in a lame effort to try to win an argument simply because you transend the debate as an Elitist. Now if I told you the I am a Humanist as well then your attacks on religion are baseless.

I think having choice and competition in education are good things. Edmonton has one of the leading school systems that broke the long standing rules about only being able to go to the school in your neighbourhood. This created IMHO a stronger school system with more variety and innovation including women only schools, arts, military and sport oriented programs as well as Logos school programs that welcome problem students like Noodle.
            Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 06-07-2014, 12:50 PM.
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Way to assume I'm a "problem child". Just because I said I had special needs didn't mean I was a problem child.

I tested out above the top percentile on my CTBS, meaning I came out on top of 99% of other Grade 3 students that year. Even though I was a year younger than the rest of my class, having been skipped ahead. I was moved because there was simply no way to educate me fast enough for my brain to handle inside of a regular classroom. I would have ended up skipped a second & third grade before I got out of Elementary school.

Even when I was in the Academic Challenge Program I was assigned aides to keep me on track.

I really don't think I needed brainwashing a la the Logos program.

Comment

So you are best friends with Stephen Hawking? You sound like a brilliant egghead with absolutely no social skills.

BTW, an associate of Stephen, Dr. Don Page is one of those superstitious woo woo ritualistic believers that you say, lack critical thinking skills. He not only edit's Hawking's work and has changed Hawking's own understanding on the theories of time. He is also a God believing Christian who comes over to my place to talk about religion. Don is also a nice and friendly guy.

Dr. Don Page (second from left) meets with fellow physicists (from left) James Hartle, Stephen Hawking and Thomas Hertog in April 2014.
                Don Page has a unit of time named after him: Page time. It’s the time it would take for a black hole to emit half its radiation. “It’s longer than the age of the universe,” says the University of Alberta physicist, whose area of expertise is cosmology and theoretical gravitational physics. “I like to say they named it for me because I’m such an old guy.”
                Source http://newtrail.ualberta.ca/spring20...ence-explained

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Page_(physicist)

http://www.physics.ualberta.ca/Faculty/DonPage
                Profile: Don Page

BA(1971) William Jewell College, USA;
                MS(1972) Caltech, USA; PhD(1976) Caltech;
                MA(1978 ) U Cambridge, UK;
                Research Assistant, U Cambridge, 1976-79;
                Asst. Prof., Penn State U, USA, 1979-83;
                Assoc. Prof., Penn State, 1983-86;
                Prof., Penn State, 1986-90;
                Prof., UofA, Canada, 1990-present

Research Interests:
                Cosmology and theoretical gravitational physics

Selected Publications:
                Don N. Page, 1976, ``Particle Emission Rates from a Black Hole: Massless Particles from an Uncharged, Nonrotating Hole,'' Physical Review D13 (2), 198-206.
                Don N.\ Page, 1980, ``Is Black-Hole Evaporation Predictable?'' Physical Review Letters 44 (5), 301-304.
                S. W. Hawking and Don N. Page, 1983, ``Thermodynamics of Black Holes in Anti-de Sitter Space,'' Communications in Mathematical Physics 87 (4), 577-588.
                G. W. Gibbons, H. Lu, Don N. Page, and C. N. Pope, 2005, ``The General Kerr-de Sitter Metrics in All Dimensions,'' Journal of Geometry and Physics 53 (1), 49-73.
                Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 07-07-2014, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tox View Post
                  My apologies that this thread is so far off track.

The OP thread is just about changing the names of the institutions, not changing the funding as some would have you believe and are stridently against.

In a memo sent to the institutions, Premier Dave Hancock said the name change will not affect their role in the provincial system.

“While this is an important change in nomenclature, it is not a change in either mandate or sector,” he said
                  http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...396/story.html

Comment

Working...
                  X