Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Province discards plan to rebuild Lt.-Gov.'s residence

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Province discards plan to rebuild Lt.-Gov.'s residence

    Really starting to lose faith in the current Provincial Gov't...

    Legislature revamp - shelved
    Royal Alberta Museum expansion - reduced scope, on hold, maybe we'll get an ATCO trailer
    New remand center - they have no problem spending $600M on this
    Oil Royalties - Sounds like there will be some flip flopping over the next few months

    and now...


    Province discards plan to rebuild Lt.-Gov.'s residence
    Jason Markusoff, edmontonjournal.com
    Published: 3:51 pm
    EDMONTON - The provincial government has discarded plans to rebuild an Edmonton residence for Alberta's lieutenant-governor, after spending $380,000 on design and consulting fees.

    When the province demolished the royal representative's 54-year-old official house in 2004, a government spokesman said the $400,000 costs to repair the home made it a "money pit."

    The government will also lose additional dollars in cancellation fees for the project, Infrastructure Minister Luke Ouellette told reporters today after announcing the residence was on "indefinite hold."

    He insisted it was the right thing to do for taxpayers. The government had budgeted $5.3 million to build a new house in the Glenora neighbourhood, but inflation drove the price tag to anywhere from $8 million to $9 million, he said.

    "Maybe it's time to cut our losses and maybe it's time to say we're just not happy to go there right now," Ouellette said.

    For the foreseeable future, Lt.-Gov. Norman Kwong will continue to live in a $2.1 million "temporary" home the government purchased for him in 2005, on St. George's Crescent, a few doors away from the site where the official residence was to be rebuilt.

    Liberal Leader Kevin Taft said the Stelmach Tories shouldn't use an important Edmonton symbol as its example that they can cut corners where necessary.

    "Symbolically, it's another blow to Edmonton as a capital city," Taft said.

    [email protected]



    © Edmonton Journal 2007

  • #2
    well, at least the conservative government is consistent

    I can't comment on the the design because i haven't seen it, but this is a shame nonetheless. I have to agree with Kevin Taft's remarks on this one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Very disappointed, as usual.

      Face it. Edmonton will get nothing but bare bones from the provincial government. It's not a matter of asking them to help us. It's a matter of us persevering in spite of what happens, or doesn't happen, to us.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Province discards plan to rebuild Lt.-Gov.'s residence

        Originally posted by Cured
        When the province demolished the royal representative's 54-year-old official house in 2004, a government spokesman said the $400,000 costs to repair the home made it a "money pit."

        The government will also lose additional dollars in cancellation fees for the project, Infrastructure Minister Luke Ouellette told reporters today after announcing the residence was on "indefinite hold."

        He insisted it was the right thing to do for taxpayers. The government had budgeted $5.3 million to build a new house in the Glenora neighbourhood, but inflation drove the price tag to anywhere from $8 million to $9 million, he said.
        Maybe they can recoup some money by operating an impark type gravel parking lot at that location.

        Comment


        • #5
          Poor Norman Kwong now he's stuck living in a 2.1 million dollar temporary home that the government purchased for him; some people have all the bad luck,how will he ever survive.
          There are people living in caddboard boxes and tents,mortages and rents are insane and this is a concern.If a few people took a little less a lot of people could have a lot more.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, you're right. Let's not maintain anything.

            I like everything grey too.

            Comment


            • #7
              so it's ok for the conservatives to spend $380,000 on consulting fees, but throwing $400,000 into fixing up an older building is a "money pit".

              ... seriously, is that suppose to be a joke? How can you possibly say that and keep a straight face?

              and again, it's ok to throw another $300 million into an OVERBUDGET remand centre in the middle of a farmer's field in the north west, but building or maintaining a proper residence for the Queen's representative in Edmonton, well, that's just a waste of taxpayer's money.

              if this province and this city were not wasting so much money, i'd find this all extremely funny. but instead, it makes you want to cry. If stupidity had a political party, it would be the Conservatives of Alberta.

              Comment


              • #8
                According to today's Journal article, four years ago the government spent $5.3 million to restore the Lougheed family's ancestral mansion in Calgary. And yet our Provincial Head of State in our Capital City gets sweet bugger-all. That...angers me.
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by snakes on a blog
                  so it's ok for the conservatives to spend $380,000 on consulting fees, but throwing $400,000 into fixing up an older building is a "money pit".

                  ... seriously, is that suppose to be a joke? How can you possibly say that and keep a straight face?

                  and again, it's ok to throw another $300 million into an OVERBUDGET remand centre in the middle of a farmer's field in the north west, but building or maintaining a proper residence for the Queen's representative in Edmonton, well, that's just a waste of taxpayer's money.

                  if this province and this city were not wasting so much money, i'd find this all extremely funny. but instead, it makes you want to cry. If stupidity had a political party, it would be the Conservatives of Alberta.
                  the treatment of the residence has in my opinion been a mistake that is unfortunately too late to remedy. the same could be said of the pentecostal tabernacle - and many other lost buildings owned by the city and the private sector and the federal government as well as the province.

                  having said that, that should be the issue, not the cost of a study. it was reported this morning that the replacement lot that was purchased is potentially worth four or five times what was paid for it - a "profit" of 5 or 6 or 7 times the cost of the study. so to debate what is right or wrong in regard to the residence should be returned to the merits of the decisions made and those that must now be made as a result and what will come of that. to debate the merits of what has transpired soley on the basis of expenses occured - or profit made - would be self-defeating at this point.
                  "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kcantor
                    having said that, that should be the issue, not the cost of a study. it was reported this morning that the replacement lot that was purchased is potentially worth four or five times what was paid for it - a "profit" of 5 or 6 or 7 times the cost of the study.
                    And equally:

                    ...$2.1 million "temporary" home the government purchased for him in 2005.
                    Was it 2.1M when they bought it, or is it 2.1M now? Either way, it has probably significantly appreciated over the 2005 purchase price (not that governments should be in the business of real estate )

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by kcantor
                      Originally posted by snakes on a blog
                      so it's ok for the conservatives to spend $380,000 on consulting fees, but throwing $400,000 into fixing up an older building is a "money pit".

                      ... seriously, is that suppose to be a joke? How can you possibly say that and keep a straight face?

                      and again, it's ok to throw another $300 million into an OVERBUDGET remand centre in the middle of a farmer's field in the north west, but building or maintaining a proper residence for the Queen's representative in Edmonton, well, that's just a waste of taxpayer's money.

                      if this province and this city were not wasting so much money, i'd find this all extremely funny. but instead, it makes you want to cry. If stupidity had a political party, it would be the Conservatives of Alberta.
                      the treatment of the residence has in my opinion been a mistake that is unfortunately too late to remedy. the same could be said of the pentecostal tabernacle - and many other lost buildings owned by the city and the private sector and the federal government as well as the province.

                      having said that, that should be the issue, not the cost of a study. it was reported this morning that the replacement lot that was purchased is potentially worth four or five times what was paid for it - a "profit" of 5 or 6 or 7 times the cost of the study. so to debate what is right or wrong in regard to the residence should be returned to the merits of the decisions made and those that must now be made as a result and what will come of that. to debate the merits of what has transpired soley on the basis of expenses occured - or profit made - would be self-defeating at this point.
                      The issue is the complete mis-management of the official residence of the Queen's representative of Alberta. The government's property speculation is not all that relevant.
                      in the early part of the 20th century (back when you were a kid... joking !) the goverment of the day built Government House, which sits at the RAM. for whatever reason, that building was transformed into the government's caucus board room.
                      Another offical residence was constructed in the 50's, which was recently demolished because $00,000 for renovations was deemed "a money pit" by this current government. Now a new residence is going to cost upwards of $10 million! how can you not see the connection of stupid decision making?
                      regardless if the sale of the LG residence will make a few million, we'll still be in the hole of well over $5 million.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Most likely, the funds will be redirected to build a Lt.-Gov.'s residence in Calgary.

                        I mean, let's face it guys, PC government's base is in Calgary, not Edmonton.
                        The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
                        It's heaven and hell!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
                          According to today's Journal article, four years ago the government spent $5.3 million to restore the Lougheed family's ancestral mansion in Calgary. And yet our Provincial Head of State in our Capital City gets sweet bugger-all. That...angers me.
                          Originally posted by Bill
                          Most likely, the funds will be redirected to build a Lt.-Gov.'s residence in Calgary. I mean, let's face it guys, PC government's base is in Calgary, not Edmonton.
                          One plus one equals... "Lougheed House" becoming the new Lt-Gov residence.

                          Continuing a tradition of recent slights including the municipality funding debacle and the symbolic location of the government's royalty announcement from Calgary... Lougheed House could be next... And then? The RAM reborn in Calgary with the old Provincial Museum falling into disrepair only to slide into the river valley?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It appears that the land in Alberta is sloped towards the South, and everything is slipping towards Calgary. No offense to them, they have the political base there. Historically, the PC Government has never been a good government for Edmonton. In contrast, it's been excellent for Calgary.

                            Doesn't matter who comes in as Premier - Lougheed, Klein, Stelmach - without some strong political backing in Edmonton, these types of announcements will keep coming.

                            In Calgary, $5.3 Million our years ago was acceptable (b.t.w. which is now about $13 Million in today's dollars), but it is unacceptable in Edmonton.

                            I am sorry to say that Prem. Stelmach has been very useless for Edmonton (also Ref. recent municipal funding report discussing no cost sharing).

                            I hope this is courage for Edmonton to blossom into something bigger and better.
                            The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
                            It's heaven and hell!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bill
                              Most likely, the funds will be redirected to build a Lt.-Gov.'s residence in Calgary.
                              Normie just wants to go home to Calgary

                              Queens Representative? At the provincial level, no less. For duties that are strictly symbolic, why do we need this - anyway?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X