No announcement yet.

Jason Kenney and the UCP Performance - first year of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was a banner day for the UCP war room, even by incompetent UCP standards. They're really doing us all proud! Hol-y.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

• It's unconscionable that our province is spending 30 million a year on what amounts to a pro-oil propaganda office that is magically immune to FOIP requests, while at the same time cutting the independent election commissioner to supposedly save 1/150th the amount. And given what the CEC has produced so far, I have to wonder if they're not just burning suitcases of cash to spend the budget. From what I've seen, they could have paid a couple basement dwellers to produce the content that they've crapped out so far. What an embarrassment.
      Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 13-02-2020, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• And speaking of embarrassment, the Calgary Herald ought to feel some too given that they didn't bother to mention that the deleted CEC tweets accused the NYT of anti-semitism, which is totally bonkers. Why did the Herald conveniently not mention the content of those deleted tweets? At least BNN did.

Comment

• Why would PostMedia bite the hand that feeds them?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...room-1.5140631
          Last edited by noodle; 13-02-2020, 08:46 AM. Reason: Changed URL
          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
            And speaking of embarrassment, the Calgary Herald ought to feel some too given that they didn't bother to mention that the deleted CEC tweets accused the NYT of anti-semitism, which is totally bonkers. Why did the Herald conveniently not mention the content of those deleted tweets? At least BNN did.
            Well, apparently, the NYT did apologize for publishing this cartoon in their international edition.

Personally, I don't think the cartoon qualifies as anti-semitic, it's just saying that Trump is overly heholden to Israel. However, the NYT did apologize for it, which kind of makes it hard to defend them.

Though I think the CEC said something like the NYT has a long history of being accused of anti-semitism, which is almost certainly false..

Comment

• Tweets preserved here: https://twitter.com/markusoff/status...81589934473216
              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• I'm gonna predict that the CEC will eventually suffer a premature shutdown, or at least be re-branded to look like something else entirely.

Comment

• The energy war bunker!
                  "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Originally posted by overoceans View Post

Well, apparently, the NYT did apologize for publishing this cartoon in their international edition.

Personally, I don't think the cartoon qualifies as anti-semitic, it's just saying that Trump is overly heholden to Israel. However, the NYT did apologize for it, which kind of makes it hard to defend them.

Though I think the CEC said something like the NYT has a long history of being accused of anti-semitism, which is almost certainly false..
                    Being opposed to certain policies of the current Israeli government is not the same as anti antisemitism, much like being opposed to Trump isn't being anti American. Other political parties in Israel have different positions on some issues than the current government there.

Unfortunately, these days this sort of nuance seems to be missed by some. However, you would think the supposed professional journalists who staff the war room should know better.

Comment

• Here is how some people sort of looking in from outside of the Alberta bubble see things now. It isn't pretty.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/the...neys-war-room/

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
                        Here is how some people sort of looking in from outside of the Alberta bubble see things now. It isn't pretty.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/the...neys-war-room/
                        Yeah, the War Room isn't doing Alberta any favours. The province comes across as a petulant child.

Comment

• There’s something fundamentally wrong when ethics and the appearance of ethics no longer matter. On one hand we are becoming stricter and stricter with corporations and individuals who want to lobby government. On the other hand we have a government that seemingly thinks it’s more important to lobby than to govern. It’s enough to make one think we’ve all followed Alice through the looking glass without even realizing it.
                          "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• Stricter and stricter with corporations? Under the NDP, sure. But with the UCP, we just give them $30 million a year to lobby on behalf of the government. When O&G says "jump", the Kenney government says "How high? Oh, and here's millions of taxpayer dollars for your trouble"

Comment

• I wonder how Jason Kenney is going to blame Notley and Trudeau for this?

You know what's not going to raise oil prices? Putting even more oil on the market.

Alberta's plan to balance its books is already off the rails

​​​​​​Barely four months since its last budget, Alberta's plan to balance the books is already off the rails. The province's upcoming budget — due next week — will face difficult choices to fill a new multi-billion dollar hole.

The problem, as usual for Alberta, is low oil prices. The province was previously counting on oil prices rising from $57 US per barrel in 2019/20 to $63 US by 2022/23. But after the coronavirus shocked the world's second-largest economy, this looks a lot less likely.

Oil demand in China is down by roughly 20 per cent, and global prices are down more than $10 per barrel as a result. Lasting implications for global supply chains combined with trade wars, Brexit fears and rising global uncertainty means low prices might continue for some time.

No one can predict the future with certainty, especially when it comes to oil prices. But the current futures market — where investors make deals for oil tomorrow, at prices agreed to today — suggests many expect oil to remain barely over over $51 per barrel for some time to come.

That's a full $12 per barrel less than Alberta's government was counting on.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ombe-1.5467113

Comment

• Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                                I wonder how Jason Kenney is going to blame Notley and Trudeau for this?

You know what's not going to raise oil prices? Putting even more oil on the market.
                                I don't wonder and will not be surprised, he will blame someone else again - probably Trudeau, his favorite go to scapegoat for everything. He doesn't seem to be reluctant to tell big whoppers, heck I think he is still going around denying Kamikaze candidates and collusion against Brian Jean in the UCP leadership race.

I do think his credibility will suffer more as it becomes clearer he is not delivering the shiny, prosperous future he promised in the election. He has also let costs go up for things like car insurance and electricity, so people are feeling more squeezed now than ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X