Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta leaving Confederation - laudable or laughable - post 2019 Election conversation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
    Originally posted by gwill211 View Post
    All I could do is laugh at that suggestion. Not sure if you see the uproar over woman and the abortion laws and being in control of their body now you want to take it a step further and force everyone to join the military for 1 year??

I dont mind the idea but I could see the uproar from everyone that would come with such a suggestion.
    israel, norway and sweden - among others - would probably disagree that there would be an uproar over the suggestion. all have compulsory conscription for females and well as males.
    Being told you have to do something wont sit well with young kids these days. Go live here, do this, do that... no more cell phone. Yeah there would be outrage.

The idea isnt a bad one. There is a lot our kids need to learn but the vast majority of parents/kids would not go with this type of idea.

Comment

Heck, let's borrow all sorts of things from North Korea while we're at it. Death penalty without trial, based on a word from "dear leader".

So?

Back to the topic, I don't see how Kenney making separation official government policy in an address to the senate is helping people across the country talk to each other. I seem to recall that the general feeling here when Quebec started talking the same was as fairly evenly split between, "No, don't go", "OK, bye" and "Get the hell out now".

Quebec showed that they were willing to put their money where their mouth was with the referendum. Is Kenney? Let's put it to a vote. Put it on the ballot along with his meaningless equalization vote. Otherwise he's just using to work up his base.

Comment

This is of course just one poll, but nevertheless very interesting....

https://abacusdata.ca/has-canada-bee...confederation/

Comment

^ Interesting, but of little consequence. Relatively to other provinces, yes, Alberta at the current time has a large number of people supporting separation when asked about it in a poll. But 25% is nowhere near enough to push through independence.

Comment

Since Kenney has stated it as a possibility and he's backed up by the power of the province, I expect that number to rise over time. May be a ministry of independence is in the offing?

Comment

It is a pipe dream...

Pardon the pun
              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Sure it is but that won't stop Kenney from fanning the flames for political reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                  Since Kenney has stated it as a possibility and he's backed up by the power of the province, I expect that number to rise over time. May be a ministry of independence is in the offing?
                  The people that want Alberta to separate from Canada have "NO ******* IDEA" what that actually means. Have they been following the Brexit mess or the previous Quebec separation fiasco. Major companies would leave this province and it would become an economic basket case.

Comment

Originally posted by ridgeman View Post
                    The people that want Alberta to separate from Canada have "NO ******* IDEA" what that actually means. Have they been following the Brexit mess or the previous Quebec separation fiasco. Major companies would leave this province and it would become an economic basket case.
                    Yet Britain and Quebec continue along. Brexit hasn’t led to a depression (yet). Quebec’s separatist movement didn't collapse their economy either.

Agree that separatists have no clue but the opposition likely just engage in fear mongering out of an equal lack of insight.
                    Last edited by KC; 30-07-2019, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                      Sure it is but that won't stop Kenney from fanning the flames for political reasons.

Like promising a chicken in every pot and Mexico will pay for the pipeline...
                      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Like promising a chicken in every pot and Mexico will pay for the pipeline...
                        Political promises gain votes. I believe the Liberals rolled out their Red Book promises and then did nothing on them for a couple decades if ever.

Red Book (Liberal Party of Canada) - Wikipedia

“ Paul Martin, the man who led the team that produced the Red Book was less complimentary about the Red Book in private as during his time in office as Finance Minister, he was often reported to have said: "Don't tell me about the Red Book, I wrote the damn thing, and I know that it is a lot of crap!".[1]”

“...Thanks to the Red Book as well as a gradual decline in support for the governing Conservatives (unpopularity, vote splitting with Reform and Bloc), the Liberals won a strong majority government with 177 seats—the third-best result in the party's history, and their best performance since their record 190 seats in the 1949 election. The Conservatives were nearly eliminated from the political scene,”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bo...rty_of_Canada)

Last edited by KC; 31-07-2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X