2019 Advanced Polls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Advanced Polls

How many here are voting in advanced polls?

I did this morning. I didn't need any more debates to make my selection.

It seemed a lot were on the same page as the line to vote never was smaller than 10 people waiting in line, and 4-8 inside to vote. The line moved rather quickly, and the parking lot outside my polling center was steady with traffic.

I hear others were like that...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

City Centre Mall's advanced poll had insanely long lines during the lunch hour. I'm going to try to vote there at some point this week; if not, there are other advanced polls closer to home.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

Did so this evening. Five-minute wait, tops. Nice to get that out of the way.

Comment

Elections Alberta has previously said that they expect 10% of ballots cast to be done at the advanced polls.

Welp, according to what I'm reading, 140K+ votes have been cast as of 7pm tonight. That's about 10% of the 2015 vote.

At this pace, we may not know the winners of many ridings for several days after election day. (Advanced ballots are expected to take days to be counted.)

Comment

I don't use advance polls simply because an election is the only time I ever go to a church.
          I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by JamesL View Post
            (…)

Welp, according to what I'm reading, 140K+ votes have been cast as of 7pm tonight. That's about 10% of the 2015 vote.

(...)
            I had a feeling the advanced polling would be surprising. Many are itching to get to the polls, almost cathartic to get to put your X on a ballot after all the rhetoric, finger pointing, teeth gnashing, name calling, etc. People around me seem tired of talking politics, and want action...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
              (…)

(...)
              I had a feeling the advanced polling would be surprising. Many are itching to get to the polls, almost cathartic to get to put your X on a ballot after all the rhetoric, finger pointing, teeth gnashing, name calling, etc. People around me seem tired of talking politics, and want action...
              I think you're right. I did not expect ours to be busy, it was. I'm glad it's done and over with...
              Animals are my passion.

Comment

that's a massive increase in voters. It's insane. Curious to see how the numbers continue over the next few days. I plan to vote tomorrow morning.

Why are advanced polls taking longer to count?

Comment

It is a massive increase, and a bit of a sad comment when I can see the word "insane" a fitting adjective. Voting should be commonplace, but here it sadly isn't that common.

I really hope for an insane turnout.

Comment

Since you can "vote anywhere" early now (a fantastic reform!), it will take days for those ballots to be processed, sorted, and sent to the main Elections Alberta warehouse. We may not know the final results until April 26!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rver-1.5073083

Comment

The biggest thing I get from that CBC article is the large influx of new registrants. It looks like people are not staying home this time.

...which is good. Hopefully a large percentage comes out and then someone can actually have a bit more credibility when they say they have a mandate. Sure, turnout is only one factor in that equation, but it would certainly be nice to see a team elected with more than 30% of the 20% that bothered to show up...

Comment

Originally posted by gwill211 View Post
                        that's a massive increase in voters. It's insane. Curious to see how the numbers continue over the next few days. I plan to vote tomorrow morning.

Why are advanced polls taking longer to count?
                        Because you can vote anywhere, so they'll take longer. I think most people will go to a polling station near them..jmho.
                        Animals are my passion.

Comment

I'd hope they'd be sending sealed boxes to the warehouse, and start counting these on the morning of the 16th. Advance polls end on the 13th.

With this turnout, a call for extra volunteers to count the advance votes may get results. I'd do it.

Comment

Something tells me that the students at the U of A probably voted UCP - Not.
                            "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Since you can "vote anywhere" early now (a fantastic reform!), it will take days for those ballots to be processed, sorted, and sent to the main Elections Alberta warehouse. We may not know the final results until April 26!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rver-1.5073083
                              This is the thing that most concerns me. While I can understand the rationale for such a thing the reality is the election results will be far delayed in some ridings. 10 days to figure out who your MLA is going to be is ridiculous. Who thought that was acceptable?
                              "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Working...
                              X