Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta oil control legislation (Bill 12)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberta oil control legislation (Bill 12)

Thoughts on this legislation?

Move to cut energy shipments expected to hit more than B.C. fuel prices | CTV Vancouver News

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/move-to-cut-en...ices-1.3889057

Alberta's Bill 12 more about politics than practicalities, says energy expert, politician

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...l-12-1.4623817
    Last edited by KC; 18-04-2018, 03:17 PM.

Originally posted by KC View Post

Alberta's Bill 12 more about politics than practicalities, says energy expert, politician
    It's funny, I've seen this type of claim made a lot recently. In fact this is legislation and has the force of law. Don't ignore the law. It seems that "experts" like to say something is often "just politics". Well, it's "just politics" until it hits the statute books, and then it has the force of law. Let's not downplay what Alberta is attempting to do.

Comment

Originally posted by AAAAE View Post
      Originally posted by KC View Post

It's funny, I've seen this type of claim made a lot recently. In fact this is legislation and has the force of law. Don't ignore the law. It seems that "experts" like to say something is often "just politics". Well, it's "just politics" until it hits the statute books, and then it has the force of law. Let's not downplay what Alberta is attempting to do.
      I think what the guy means is that blocking the oil is more of an empty threat, rather than something that's likely to be implemented, because carrying out the embargo would hurt Alberta as well.

Comment

^ How? BC can just get its fuel from Washington anyway. Gas prices might go up to $2 soon but that's about it.
        Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

Originally posted by envaneo View Post
          ^ How? BC can just get its fuel from Washington anyway. Gas prices might go up to $2 soon but that's about it.
          Washington oil, is from Alberta.They wont go that route for long, because gas will go up!
          Plane fuel, that's where it will hurt.
          Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by envaneo View Post
            No, it can't. Not without significant investment in import and storage facilities, which do not currently exist. It would take months, if not years, for BC to be able to get the infrastructure in place to import significant amounts of gasoline, diesel, or aviation fuel. And no private interest would be willing to make that investment, because it would have an incredibly short shelf life as Alberta could simply re-open the taps.

Comment

^
              http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...ng-off-the-oil
              Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

QUOTE: "Could Alberta bring B.C. to its knees by shutting off the oil?"

Well, that's from a couple of months ago. As of yesterday, we've got the SCOC ruling that a province can prevent the import of products from other provinces, but can't impose economic sanctions for punitive purposes.

The first part of that would seem to support BC's efforts to block KM, while the second would hinder Alberta's efforts to shut off the oil.

Comment

^That's a creative reading of the SCOC ruling.

After reading the Supreme Court judgment, my biggest takeaway is that the current Wagner court - compared to the previous McLachlin court - is going to be less judicially active. In other words, give more weight to previous judgments (precedents) and provide greater deference to laws duly passed by elected Canadian governments.

The ruling was narrowly focused on the right of the New Brunswick government to impose lawful restrictions on the import of liquor from other provinces. In so doing, the Supreme Court overturned the decision of the trial judge in a case that the appellate court in New Brunswick declined to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by East McCauley View Post
                    ^That's a creative reading of the SCOC ruling.
                    Perhaps, but it's not original to me.

https://tinyurl.com/yamedvy8

Comment

It wont ever happen, death by delay..and that pompous @ss Carr can stop saying it will be built !!!

Animals are my passion.

Comment

I believe the intent of the law is to vacate the existing capacity currently used for somewhat refined product for dilbit. Effectively Alberta is not 'blocking' BC. It is simply making a call on what product to sell.
                        Last edited by Safir; 20-04-2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

The beauty of this legislation is the vagueness of action. You aren't blocking shipping oil or gas, but rather shipping it to Saskatchewan or Montana because of higher prices. It is pretty hard for any legal action to be taken against Alberta for those reasons.

Comment

They rely heavily on our oil, but they don't want it..
                            Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by H.L. View Post

They rely heavily on our oil, but they don't want it..
                              And we never liked having to build our houses out of BC’s precious and beautiful forests. We didn’t like the fact that they clear cut their forests to get us 2x4s. ...and didn’t like the fact that they’d log cedar etc and then just replant with cloned production oriented species...

Some of us didn’t like to see pristine, natural river valley ecosystems damned and totally obliterated by their hydro dams.

Comment

Working...
                              X