This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ajs View Post
    ^Still waiting. Leadership candidates? Bueller, Bueller? Anyone? *chirp chirp*
    So much for that long list of potential candidates when Clark announced his resignation. None were really very high profile, but even the moderate to low profile ones don't seem that interested in leading this party.

My bold prediction - no leader will be found, the leaderless party will struggle for a while, the 2nd MLA will leave to sit as an independent, and eventually the party will be taken over by UCP, who really only want the name and after that Clark will be gone.

Comment

The only way a new party can work, is if its got someone charismatic to lead it, like Brad Wall in Sasketchewan. If Nenshi had been interested, maybe this could have replaced NDP for the progressive vote, but as it stands, its dead.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
        The only way a new party can work, is if its got someone charismatic to lead it, like Brad Wall in Sasketchewan.
        Doesn't bode well for the UCP with their pudgy pile of disingenuity at the helm. Kenney is about as charismatic as a root canal.
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

For a party that's really growing, ( lol) how funny nobody wants to lead it. A lot of hype around this party, I don't think the UCP need worry about them..
          Animals are my passion.

Comment

I'm confident someone will come forward... eventually. There's money raised and some organizational muscle around but the timing of the next provincial election is probably what's spooking potential leadership candidates. Eighteen months is no time to put together credible local constituencies.

But the Greg Clark resignation was bush league. Better a lame duck than no leader at all (I'm looking at you Tom Mulcair). Obviously, whomever gave Clark the push was confident some kind of leadership race would be in place by now. Timing is everything in life and politics.

Comment

I think we won't hear anyone announcing their leadership intentions until after Christmas. There's too many other things taking up the attention of both the public and the potential candidates themselves for anyone to want to announce now. Announcing in January would make more sense, as it should be a slow time of year for the news cycle, and the candidates can get more attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
                Greg Clark is not running for the leadership
                From CBC News:
                Originally posted by CBC News
                Calgary-Elbow MLA Greg Clark has decided not to run again for leadership of the Alberta Party.
                In an interview with CBC News on Thursday, Clark said he decided his family had to come first. Clark and his wife have two daughters, 10 and 13.
                He said one of his girls talked to him about the leadership during a drive from Calgary to Edmonton.
                "She talked to her sister and she said, 'Dad, we don't mind you being MLA,' " Clark recounted. "But we'd really like you not be leader so you could spend more time with us.
                "The minute I heard that, that really made my decision for me."
                Clark acknowledges that there will be party members who will be disappointed with his decision. He said he still plans to run in Calgary-Elbow in the 2019 election.
                Clark was chosen party leader in 2013 and became the party's first elected MLA in 2015. Calgary-Mackay-Nose Hill MLA Karen McPherson joined the Alberta Party caucus several weeks after leaving the NDP.
                Clark stepped down last month to trigger a leadership race. Sources told CBC he was pushed out by the party's board of directors.
                Ryan Jespersen stated on his show this morning that he definitely is not seeking the leadership of the Alberta Party. He stated he love his job and his listeners, referenced himself having no political experience.
                That big mouth, good lord he loves himself..ugh!
                Animals are my passion.

Comment

I'm confident someone will come forward... eventually. There's money raised and some organizational muscle around but the timing of the next provincial election is probably what's spooking potential leadership candidates. Eighteen months is no time to put together credible local constituencies.

But the Greg Clark resignation was bush league. Better a lame duck than no leader at all (I'm looking at you Tom Mulcair). Obviously, whomever gave Clark the push was confident some kind of leadership race would be in place by now. Timing is everything in life and politics.
                  Mulcair was brilliant in QP, but his ideas were too far left for most people. He wasn't as soft and squidgy as JT, so he stood no chance...ya gotta to be able to cry on demand these days..
                  Animals are my passion.

Comment

I think we won't hear anyone announcing their leadership intentions until after Christmas. There's too many other things taking up the attention of both the public and the potential candidates themselves for anyone to want to announce now. Announcing in January would make more sense, as it should be a slow time of year for the news cycle, and the candidates can get more attention.
                    We'll see, everyone made it sound like this part is a contender, I don't think it is..
                    Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by H.L. View Post

Mulcair was brilliant in QP, but his ideas were too far left for most people. He wasn't as soft and squidgy as JT, so he stood no chance...ya gotta to be able to cry on demand these days..
                      “cry on demand”???

If a guy said that about a women, it wouldn’t go over well.

Comment

^why not? Some women can do that, some men (especially drama queens / teachers / namby pamby Liberals) can do it.

"All ye Poets of the Age!
                        All ye Witlings of the Stage!
                        Learn your Jingles to reform!
                        Crop your Numbers and Conform:
                        Let your little Verses flow
                        Gently, Sweetly, Row by Row:
                        Let the Verse the Subject fit;
                        Little Subject, Little Wit.
                        Namby-Pamby is your Guide;
                        Albion's Joy, Hibernia's Pride."

Henry Carey
                        Last edited by moahunter; 15-12-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                          Originally posted by H.L. View Post

“cry on demand”???

If a guy said that about a women, it wouldn’t go over well.

Really? It wouldn't upset me. Did you not see JT in the crying game? Talk,talk,- hanky, it was priceless. I wasn't cynical the first time, but after the fourth time I sure was..huge drama queen!
                          Animals are my passion.

Comment

^Trudeau is sort of a reverse Dil per the Crying game, isn't he? Explains all the Feminism stuff he goes on about all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                              ^Trudeau is sort of a reverse Dil per the Crying game, isn't he? Explains all the Feminism stuff he goes on about all the time.
                              LOL, and expects China to adopt..
                              Animals are my passion.

Comment

The whole thing doesn't make sense. You don't push a leader out, without having someone else viable in the wings and they should be willing to step forward sooner, rather than later. The vote is scheduled to be at the end of February (date already pushed back, probably due to lack of interest). I have a feeling those that pushed Clark out either badly misjudged the level of interest or someone was quite interested, but backed out and now there is no one.

Unfortunately, I don't think Santa is going to bring the Alberta Party a viable leadership candidate for Christmas and I am not optimistic about before the end of February either. If ABSOLUTELY NO ONE is eager to step forward by now, it says something about the party. I suppose they can always push back that February date further or perhaps find some party member to agree to be leader at the last minute. However, I suppose it is all consistent with the Alberta Party over all these years, so much hype and hope, but very little achieved.

I actually hope to be proved wrong on this, but I have the sad feeling I might not be.

Comment

Working...
                                X