Wildrose and PC merger talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noodle View Post
    The Provincial carbon tax is a complete non-issue outside of partisan nitpicking, as the Federal carbon rate will match the Alberta/NDP levy in 2 years & surpass it in 3 (from implementation).
    That's not what the polls say, Albertan's are highly opposed outside of Edmonton - I think a lot of people will enjoy seeing their fuel drop by 10c (or whatever it is once all the carbon increases are phased in by the next election). If the Feds want to try and impose the same thing - that will be for them to fight / blood on their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
      The Provincial carbon tax is a complete non-issue outside of partisan nitpicking, as the Federal carbon rate will match the Alberta/NDP levy in 2 years & surpass it in 3 (from implementation).
      That's not what the polls say, Albertan's are highly opposed outside of Edmonton - I think a lot of people will enjoy seeing their fuel drop by 10c (or whatever it is once all the carbon increases are phased in by the next election). If the Feds want to try and impose the same thing - that will be for them to fight / blood on their hands.
      Well if the Pee party actually promises its supporters they will actually see a reduced carbon tax that will be their first broken promise and disappointment for their supporters. Maybe their supporters don't know there is already a federal carbon tax planned, so if the Alberta one is reduced the federal one will come into effect automatically at the same or a higher level and then Alberta will also not have control over how the money is used.

Comment

Finally, someone who won't give into JT, who hasn't backed Notley at all on the pipeline!
        Animals are my passion.

Comment

Why are the percentages 75 & 50% for approval? Surely it should be 50/50, otherwise it's an un-level playing field from day one.
          Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

When Brian Mulroney brought in the GST the Cons were obliterated in the next election. It will be interesting to see how the modern day proponents of more tax more tax fare in future elections.
            Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

^Yup, the NDP would not have won the protest vote if they had run on a platform of a carbon tax.

Comment

^Yup, the NDP would not have won the protest vote if they had run on a platform of a carbon tax.
                Nope, no they would not!
                Animals are my passion.

Comment

The new UCP doesn't even have to run a campaign to eliminate the carbon tax. I just want my income tax dropped to offset - which is the way it should have been implemented but the NDP couldn't even get that right. Reducing income taxes and stopping leeches from wanting others to pay for their services should be the main goal of a fiscally concerned government.

And no rebate cheques should be given for the carbon tax. You pollute, you pay. Currently, I'm paying for my neighbour to pollute. Or my girlfriend, however I choose to look at it.
                  I drive really slow, in the ultra fast lane
                  While people behind me, are going insane.

Comment

Originally posted by H.L. View Post
                    Alberta won't vote Liberal

If that's because Albertans don't vote for left-of-centre parties, then you kind of need to explain the last election.

Comment

^the word "Liberal" is dirt in Alberta - it basically means NEP. Albertans don't vote for that - and the polls re the Alberta Liberal party reflect that, regardless of what they supposedly do or don't stand for. This will be a race between the NDP and the You see pee party. That's all there will be too it. Sure, I expect Alberta party and others to try and present a more "progressive" conservative brand, but the center is never that good a place to be. Need to be center left, or center right. Alberta is traditionally center right, but since Klein, has been center left (the left hijacked PC's under Stelmac and Redford, and now the NDP). Time for a real change back to responsible fiscal policies, much smaller government, lower taxes and GDP growth / jobs.

As to Jean and Kenny - I prefer Jean. Heck, I wish Rona would come and lead the new party though, that would be a total landslide. Daniel Smith feels same way - this is the risk for the new party, they have to stay on fiscal matters, and leave social matters alone:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3462378/da...ee-of-victory/

It’s clear that voters long for another choice. I keep getting asked if I think Rona Ambrose will enter into the contest. My answer: I wish. I suspect the vast majority of conservative minded voters do too.

There is a wariness of both Kenney and Jean mostly because of their perceived stances on controversial social issues. If the new party becomes embroiled in controversies over abortion, LGBTQ rights, assisted dying, pot legalization and the like, it will do nothing to broaden its base.
                      Last edited by moahunter; 20-05-2017, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by howie View Post
                        Why are the percentages 75 & 50% for approval? Surely it should be 50/50, otherwise it's an un-level playing field from day one.
                        I was wondering about that myself. I'm guessing that these are the internal requirements of both parties, ie. Wildrose has a rule saying 75% and the Tories have their own rule saying 50%?

If so, then the fault lies with whichever party is supposedly being shortchanged by the required percentages, since they could presumably have imposed a different number on themselves.

Comment

^the word "Liberal" is dirt in Alberta - it basically means NEP. Albertans don't vote for that - and the polls re the Alberta Liberal party reflect that, regardless of what they supposedly do or don't stand for. This will be a race between the NDP and the You see pee party. That's all there will be too it. Sure, I expect Alberta party and others to try and present a more "progressive" conservative brand, but the center is never that good a place to be. Need to be center left, or center right. Alberta is traditionally center right, but since Klein, has been center left (the left hijacked PC's under Stelmac and Redford, and now the NDP). Time for a real change back to responsible fiscal policies, much smaller government, lower taxes and GDP growth / jobs.
                          It never really made a lot of sense that Albertans would refuse to vote Liberal because of the NEP, but be more willing to vote NDP, given that the NDP was at least as supportive of that policy as the Liberals were, and would probably have gone even further.

But I do recognize that these things aren't always rational, and I do know people who cursed the name Pierre Trudeau while still thinking Broadbent was okay. Still, I think enough people today understand the political spectrum to know that if you were okay with voting NDP, you logically shouldn't have a problem with the Liberals. (Unless you regard the Liberals as too RIGHT-wing, in which case you're probably not outraged about the NEP).

As for the whole "Stelmach and Redford hijacked the traditionally conservative PC party" thing...

As has been pointed out before, that is mostly just revisionist history. Lougheed and Getty were to the left of Stelmach and Redford.

Comment

Kenney explained it on FB live. He's so well spoken, perhaps just a tad better than Jean. I will vote for either, if it means the end of the NDP.
                            Animals are my passion.

Comment

I too am hoping Rona Ambrose runs for the leadership and beats these guys out. That would be funny. She'd no doubt make a good premier. I would prefer Jean over Kenney just because he is true Albertan, especially after everything he's been through in Ft. Mac. Kenney is another entitled Ottawa fat cat, something I don't really detect in Ambrose. He's a hard worker though and I think would be ok if he ends up as head honcho.
                              Last edited by Drumbones; 20-05-2017, 02:26 PM.
                              Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumbones View Post
                                I too am hoping Rona Ambrose runs for the leadership and beats these guys out. That would be funny. She'd no doubt make a good premier. I would prefer Jean over Kenney just because he is true Albertan, especially after everything he's been through in Ft. Mac. Kenney is another entitled Ottawa fat cat, something I don't really detect in Ambrose. He's a hard worker though and I think would be ok if he ends up as head honcho.
                                Ambrose isn't running, she was pretty adamant when asked.
                                Animals are my passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X