Alberta's Wildrose, PCs agree to create new United Conservative Party
    First leader of new party to be elected Oct. 28

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rger-1.4121473

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
    I can't believe I haven't seen people talking about this here today:

Boring administrative news at the moment. Will see what they offer that would be any different than the past.

Comment

There's a lot of buzz on other forums what great news! Then there is this....http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/kenne...-tax-1.3420190

Love it!!!!!
      Animals are my passion.

Comment

What a joke. Couple of fringe leaders with nothing but backwards ideas. Hopefully the Red Deer Meeting that was held with the Red Tories and the Alberta Party brings some common sense to Alberta politics.

Comment

Goodbye NDP... there was talk Notley could call a snap election before the right united, but they would have even lost that, so just hanging on by a thread / trying to ram through as much pinko damage to our economy as they can before they are gone.

I hope Jean wins the leadership. Good news is under the carbon tax will be gone gone gone in a few years time, even if Kenny wins:

Right after announcing the potential merger of Alberta’s Wildrose and Progressive Conservative parties, Progressive Conservative Leader Jason Kenney took aim at Ottawa, saying that he would be willing to sue the federal government if it tries to impose a carbon tax on his oil-rich province.

“If I’m leading a Conservative government, bill number one of our first term of the legislature in the summer of 2019 would be the Carbon Tax Repeal Act,” the former federal Conservative cabinet minister told CTV Power Play on Thursday.

“If Justin Trudeau then tries to impose his federal carbon tax on us, we will link arms with Premier Brad Wall and sue the federal government for violating what we believe is provincial jurisdiction,” Kenney said. “Our declaration today says that this is a party that is loyal to a united Canada but will stand up and defend Alberta’s interests and areas of constitutional sovereignty and jurisdiction.”
          http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/kenne...-tax-1.3420190
          Last edited by moahunter; 19-05-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Jean will probably win, but I'm happy with either , as leader.They have been voting the same, so it makes sense to be one party. I see the NDP back in opposition, and I'm very happy at that thought!
            Animals are my passion.

Comment

It will depend on what the moderates do. If they can help shape this new party, then they'll be the next government. If they can't and they leave, then it's a toss up and we'll probably see a minority govt. Possibly with the NDP leading and the new moderate party forming some kind of alliance with them.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post

Boring administrative news at the moment. Will see what they offer that would be any different than the past.
                They've announced their intention to unite. It needs to be voted on, and requires 75% approval from Wildrose members and 50% from PC members to be ratified. It's likely to pass, but not guaranteed. Then there's a leadership run.

Notley won't call an early election. She needs more time for the economy to recover and for their policies to take effect. Nobody's making any noise about the carbon tax anymore since it's had virtually no effect on people's day to day lives and hasn't caused the sky to fall as many predicted.
                "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

I like Mr. Jean personally, but I don't like some of the things his party has stood for historically.
                  I used to like the PC party, but their last couple of leaders kind of soured me on them.
                  While I don't think an NDP government is quite Armageddon, I'm not sure I want to give them a second term.
                  I'll reserve judgement for the time being. As mentioned - nothing is finalized and the election is a ways out yet.
                  Last edited by Darkwalker; 19-05-2017, 12:36 PM. Reason: Grammar
                  Non semper erit aestas

Comment

Do UCP?
                    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

75% is a pretty high threshold. It's not unrealistic to suggest that 26% of Wildrose members might not be in favour of this. They could derail the whole thing. I wonder what would happen then.

The next year or so could shape up to be very interesting. We could see the beginning of a two-party system. Or not. Maybe something will come out of the Red Tory/Alberta Party/Liberal/soft NDP supporters as well.

Comment

Alberta won't vote Liberal,besides, who the heck is there? Their leaders seem dried up older fussy types.
                        Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                          Originally posted by KC View Post

They've announced their intention to unite. It needs to be voted on, and requires 75% approval from Wildrose members and 50% from PC members to be ratified. It's likely to pass, but not guaranteed. Then there's a leadership run.

Notley won't call an early election. She needs more time for the economy to recover and for their policies to take effect. Nobody's making any noise about the carbon tax anymore since it's had virtually no effect on people's day to day lives and hasn't caused the sky to fall as many predicted.
                          That carbon tax will rear its ugly head again when the feds start talking about it. Plus we all know its going to go higher under the NDP.
                          Animals are my passion.

Comment

If this merger goes through, Alberta's NDP experiment is dead meat.

Comment

The Provincial carbon tax is a complete non-issue outside of partisan nitpicking, as the Federal carbon rate will match the Alberta/NDP levy in 2 years & surpass it in 3 (from implementation).

Federal carbon tax:

Environment Minister Catherine McKenna will make public the paper, which proposes to give provinces three options for pricing carbon: legislate their own levy on emissions starting at $10 a tonne, legislate their own cap-and-trade system which can show it will produce equivalent cuts in emissions as a carbon tax, or use a hybrid model largely based on Alberta’s program which Ottawa will impose itself.
                              The carbon tax, or cap-and-trade equivalent, will have to go up by $10 a year, rising to $50 a tonne by the end of 2022.
                              http://globalnews.ca/news/3460582/ca...ian-provinces/ (emphasis mine)

Provincial:

As of January 1, a carbon levy is charged on all fuels that emit greenhouse gas emissions when combusted at a rate of $20/tonne in 2017 and $30/tonne in 2018. The rate is based on the amount of carbon pollution released by the fuel when it's combusted, not on the mass of fuel itself.
                              https://www.alberta.ca/climate-carbon-pricing.aspx

I'm even less concerned about the Carbon Tax than I was when it was initiated, which is less concerned than I was when it was announced. Better to be set up in advanced & seen as a leader than scramble around after the fact like many of the other provinces will have to.
                              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Working...
                              X