No announcement yet.

Fake News in Alberta Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 1939, Asians weren't allowed to vote. First Nations people didn't get the vote until 1960.

Or, as alkali would call them, the good old days.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      Originally posted by alkeli View Post
      Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
      You're right, the national anthem should never be changed. It should only be sung with the original French lyrics.
      Childish remark. Adding another language is not the same as changing something that's been this way since 1939. We have 2 official languages if you weren't aware.
      What's so special about 1939 that things can not be changed after that? Actually, I think we didn't have two official languages then - that change happened after too.
      It just takes time to reflect some more ‘real world’ changes in official symbolism, pomp and ceremony, etc.

Just ten years before that (in 1929), women weren’t “persons” according to Canada’s own Supreme Court and in 1939 I don’t think they could yet vote in Quebec even though more than a century before they could vote in Quebec (Lower Canada).

Comment

Originally posted by alkeli View Post
        "God keep our land" was not added, it was moved in 1967 when the other competing anthems all had mention of God, and the anthem became one verse.

The Chorus between the 4 verses is

God keep our land glorious and free!
        O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
        O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
        When only the first verse was being sung, like the French version, 2 lines were removed and replaced with "From far and wide" and "God keep our land glorious and free!" from the later verses.

Nothing was added.

This change was also before it became the official anthem in 1980. And from that date, it should not be changed. Or else why don't we change our Flag while we're at it...
        Canada had bill of rights in 1960. I believe it was later altered.

Canada is officially a monarchy. That may change someday too.

Comment

Everyone is going way off topic and completely missing the point about the government making changes that the majority is opposed to, yet claiming that this is what everyone wants and is asking for.

Canadians are too damn scared of the government to hold legit protests. You ever see the European countries where thousands flood the streets outside their government establishments in protest? That's why they have it so much better. The government reacts to this. The people demand or oppose, and the government agrees.

In Canada, everyone's too scared to get in trouble. In Canada, we get lost benefits, increased taxes and tuitions, and we just sit here sulking and go "oh well" and carry on. MAYBE go online and anonymously post on a comment section, forum, or tweet, which accomplishes nothing. Meanwhile the government is making statements about how the recent way they screwed Canadians was what Canadians wanted, and it's now benefitting all Canadians....

Comment

Time to take away the vote for women and minorities. To do away with environmental regulations. I don't recall large numbers of people asking for the Charter either so it's gone.

Just put everything to a nation wide vote and do away with our system of representation. You need half the population of the country +1 to pass any legislation.

There, solved it.

Comment

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
              Time to take away the vote for women and minorities. To do away with environmental regulations. I don't recall large numbers of people asking for the Charter either so it's gone.

Just put everything to a nation wide vote and do away with our system of representation. You need half the population of the country +1 to pass any legislation.

There, solved it.
              If you think all those things you mentioned are as important as changing a word in the national anthem to please a vast minority, then your priorities are beyond skewed and there's no point acknowledging your posts from here on out.

Comment

No, I think that they're MORE important than changing a single word in the national anthem, especially since the words to O Canada have been changed many times beforehand.

Comment

Yeah. Anthem words. Not a big deal to me. In fact I think the change is just fine.

As for not protesting out of fear of our government. Not a chance. Can’t think of anyone I know that would not protest something out of that fear.

Comment

Ahh, much better. Can't continue without common-sense...

Originally posted by KC View Post
                    Yeah. Anthem words. Not a big deal to me. In fact I think the change is just fine.

As for not protesting out of fear of our government. Not a chance. Can’t think of anyone I know that would not protest something out of that fear.
                    Right, so why couldn't the Anthem words be changed based on a national poll? All the polls done showed that most Canadians were opposed to it, but they did it anyways CLAIMING that this is what Canadians want

THS LIE in BOLD UNDERLINE is the whole point, the anthem change is just one example so stop getting hung up on it!

It's the LIE that's the issue. Clear?

Comment

Badge of honour, especially since he won't see this.

If it's such a big LIE, where's the protests? Where's the people marching in the streets? Perhaps, most people are just fine with the change and a small but vocal minority simply got their knickers in a twist because the lyrics were made a teensy bit more inclusive? Nah, couldn't be that. Must be that people are terrified to speak out for fear of being arrested by the anthem police.

Comment

Fake news is 'reinforced by false memories' - BBC News

Excerpts:

The 3,140 participants had been more likely to have created false memories if the reports had lied about the side they had opposed, the study added.

“One of academics told BBC News it highlighted how difficult it could be to "undo" spurious memories once they had been created.

"Memory is a reconstructive process and we are vulnerable to suggestion distorting our recollections, without our conscious awareness," Dr Gillian Murphy, of University College Cork, said.”

“One notable study in 2012 reported how participants had been led to misremember US President Barack Obama shaking hands with ...”

What is more, some even claimed to recall further details about the misdeeds that had not been included in the faked reports.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49435387
                        Last edited by KC; 23-08-2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X