Out of control government spending - $50b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    While there might well be some savings to be realized here, we're talking peanuts in the grand scheme of things. This is getting a little old at both the Federal and Provincial level, regardless of who is in power or what party they're affiliated with. The opposition parties know that it's very, very easy to score points on this kind of thing, because it's easy for the public to grasp "GOVERNMENT MINISTERS DRIVING AROUND IN INFINITI LUXURY SUV" or "CIVIL SERVANTS SPEND TENS OF THOUSANDS TO RELOCATE". Meanwhile, it would appear that the NDP have completely botched the electricity PPA agreement issue, and we've hardly heard a peep about that in the news recently. Because that's a really, really complicated topic. Meanwhile, the fleet issue is measured in the millions, and the electrical market issue is billions. Yet the media's and public's attention is focused on the wrong issue entirely.
    Or they throw these million dollar stories out to divert our attention from the billion dollar stories. Same when they release bad news stories on a Friday night of a long weekend hoping nobody will notice.
    The public do have a good case for complaining about government excess on all levels. It's taxpayers money that let's them drive around in Infiniti's and Escalades when a much lower end vehicle can do the job. It's taxpayers that pay for their bloated expense accounts where it seems they have to sit in nothing but the best restaurants for their meals and order themselves a fine bottle of wine. They get allowances, perks and pensions all at the cost of Joe public. They are supposed to got into public service to serve, not help themselves. All governments waste billions of dollars in their terms in office, but wasting millions on fancy cars and expenses is just as odious.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
      All governments waste billions of dollars in their terms in office, but wasting millions on fancy cars and expenses is just as odious.
      I don't particularly agree. Penny wise but pound foolish, and all that. Yes they should be held to account on perks, travel, and that kind of thing. But again, those costs are measured in the millions and are a tiny fraction of government spending and the overall economy. Issues like climate policy and the electrical generating market are billions upon billions, and don't receive nearly the same scrutiny from the media or public. Our priorities are backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
        Originally posted by Gemini View Post
        All governments waste billions of dollars in their terms in office, but wasting millions on fancy cars and expenses is just as odious.
        I don't particularly agree. Penny wise but pound foolish, and all that. Yes they should be held to account on perks, travel, and that kind of thing. But again, those costs are measured in the millions and are a tiny fraction of government spending and the overall economy. Issues like climate policy and the electrical generating market are billions upon billions, and don't receive nearly the same scrutiny from the media or public. Our priorities are backwards.
        I disagree. Culture starts at the top and it flows down. If your bosses are getting perks you aren't, it demotivates, and encourages you to go out and waste money. If you care about the pennies, then people will care about the millions. If you don't, they likely won't. How can you ask people to cut back / be lean, when you are taking perks all over the place? I have never seen a company that gives all its executives autos to drive (I have in the past seen abuse of corporate jets, which thankfully the province has fixed). That's the culture though of our province re these autos and other perks the PC's were giving themselves and the NDP has carried on, it flows down to expense claims and spending decisions. Its why we are in the deficit hole we are in.
        Last edited by moahunter; 29-09-2016, 08:59 AM.

Comment

It's always fun to listen to all levels of government giving the public tips on how to cut back. Or they send pamphlets out telling us to turn down the thermostat at night, wear and extra sweater about the house if it's cold, if it's yellow let it mellow etc. Then you have people living on fixed incomes that have to live such Spartan lives they have no money for extras. Who wants to hear these bureaucrats lecture when people know they are living high on the hog on the public dime. That they think nothing of using their expense accounts to rack up $400 lunch bills at fancy restaurants or use government transportation to ride all over the province. Charging the smallest items to expense accounts makes it look like the cheap b*stard they are. Some of these perks need to be looked at long and hard. To the average person who is struggling to make ends meet their excess just rubs salt in the wound.
          If a person is a self made business person and buys perks for their office, say a 60 inch TV or a $4,000 solid wood desk or a fabulous surround sound that's on their dime as they have earned it. When a politician does it with an expense account it's just sheer greed.
          Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
            ^Isn't it interesting how there are only a handful of hybrids in there, no pure electric vehciles, and lots of SUV's and trucks? I guess the NDP really care about reducing emissions (except when it means they don't get quite as nice a ride personally).
            Isnt it interesting how the PC's were in power for 44 years and no one seemed to care how they abused their power and wasted tax payer dollars...but now that we have a new government, everything is under the microscope.

Comment

Originally posted by GranaryMan View Post
              Originally posted by moahunter View Post
              ^Isn't it interesting how there are only a handful of hybrids in there, no pure electric vehciles, and lots of SUV's and trucks? I guess the NDP really care about reducing emissions (except when it means they don't get quite as nice a ride personally).
              Isnt it interesting how the PC's were in power for 44 years and no one seemed to care how they abused their power and wasted tax payer dollars...but now that we have a new government, everything is under the microscope.
              It disagree. I think it's just a return to the '80s and '90s attitudes. I can't think of a provincial example but rember when Bill Smith got his SUV and the controversy over him driving a bigger gas guzzler.

Comment

KC wrote:

I can't think of a provincial example but rember when Bill Smith got his SUV and the controversy over him driving a bigger gas guzzler.
                I certainly do remember. As well as Smith's brilliant reply...

"I think the people of Edmonton want to see their mayor driving around in a big car."

Comment

Working...
                X