Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Premier Redford to make an announcement at 6pm today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Some of those policies, in particular, the drastic post secondary cuts and the frontal assault on AUPE, generated a lot of blowback from constituents and party supporters to MLAs, further weakening her support within the party.
    She had to hold the costs on education and the AUPE because she needed money for her proposed “Alberta Future Fund.”
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

The travel expenditures were just the straw. What killed Redford was the total lack of support from her own caucus and that failure is hers. While she gained the leadership without caucus support she should have then spent time building it up. Instead she isolated herself and started implementing policies without a lot caucus consultation. Some of those policies, in particular, the drastic post secondary cuts and the frontal assault on AUPE, generated a lot of blowback from constituents and party supporters to MLAs, further weakening her support within the party.

When the travel thing broke her own party didn't support her, the opposition saw this and did not back down. If the party had drawn ranks and she had admitted mistakes (whether they were or not), she would still be premier.
      In fairness she inherited widescale division and infighting that was rampant in the party. Indeed with many pundits wondering how the party would pull together even after they found a replacement for for the fractured Stelmach leadership.

It seems highly critical to suggest that caucus and other division in the party is on Redford. I can see people saying it, and to some extent who is saying it, but with some of those being divisive rather than problem solving factors. Also with that some of that division likely being resurfaced never supported her leadership anyway type division.

Redford inherited a lot of baggage with this party and a lot of the faults of her predecessors that went with it. I wonder whether question period would've involved whole weeks or months of questioning King Ralph on a 45K expense claim.

Redford got buried on relatively specious grounds here.

Given the vitriol and constant attack one would've expect widescale corruption involving millions would be the issue.

A 45k fare she paid back and yet it was never going away.

I do think the PC's are doing a good job burying themselves here. But they've doing that for some time before Redford.

Lets Remember Redford won an arguably unexpected election result.

But not much licence with it apparently. I wonder how much people even within her party truly empowered and actively supported her leadership.

Looks like a lot of backstabbing instead.

As a result the PC's have set the trapdoor for yet another temporary non elect leader, hasn't that been going well?

Danielle Smith again will be all over that like she was with Redford.
      Last edited by Replacement; 20-03-2014, 03:39 PM.
      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by norwoodguy View Post
        Originally posted by moahunter View Post
        Interestingly Ford has been doing a lot better in polls than Redford, at the end of the day political failure isn't somebody elses fault, its your own, we all control our image through our actions (even who we make friends with), for better or worse.
        There certainly is a lesson to be learned in that comparison. Obviously polls reflect the attitudes of the target group so the degree of tolerance for various types of behavior will vary. But a large part of Ford's appeal lies in his ability to connect with the average person by taking calls from taxpayers and trying to help address their issues. Whereas Redford appeared aloof and more than willing to avail herself to perks at the public expense.
        The funny thing in this is that nobody availed themselves more than King Ralph yet he was rarely if ever perceived in that light.

I don't doubt what you're saying somehow became the opinion. But how was that opinion reached?

Why so selectively?
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post

Nothing specious about the level of criticism from major party donors last year after the post-secondary cuts nor the amount of direct response MLAs got from constituents over Bill 45 and 46 last fall. The reality is long before this particular crisis donors and voters were making their displeasure clear to MLAs and the MLAs were getting extremely nervous about their seats. Caucus was listening to the voters but Redford was not listening to caucus.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....6-ae80ffffc36a
            Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

This conversation isn't about Allison really it;s about the party...

The party has been flooded with more progressive members, those members elected a leader that no one in the party wanted except one MLA.... and ultimately the party threw her under the bus.

The Party Brass wants to the the wildrose... Voters who reelected them want left of center.

The PARTY needs to change much more than the leader did.
              "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post

Nothing specious about the level of criticism from major party donors last year after the post-secondary cuts nor the amount of direct response MLAs got from constituents over Bill 45 and 46 last fall.
                As I think I noted above, if education cuts and anti-labour policies are what people are upset about, then it seems strange that that discontent would supposedly be benefitting Wildrose.

Comment

^ The wildrose is going to have it's own Identity crisis soon.

They move more and more and more and more to the Center.... but they were elected to their current position by the far right in rural areas.
                  "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

^i don't see the Federal Conservatives having an identity crises, they moved to the center, just as the Federal liberals are trying to do. The WR are quite comparable to Federal Conservatives, they have some wing nuts at the extreme (all parties do, left or right), but are learning to silence them. Every party wants power and once they get it they seek to maintain it, this moderates extreme views. None of the 'scary' harper will ban abortion, guns on streets, etc happened with Federal PCs and it won't with WR either.

Comment

^ The Feds are def undergoing an identity crisis and the old reformers have had to be qwelled more than once.

It is constantly brought forward that the conservative gov't is not really conservative and you have seen outright attacks by true conservative think tanks and organizations towards Harper.

You are focusing on simply social policy...

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                        ^i don't see the Federal Conservatives having an identity crises, they moved to the center, just as the Federal liberals are trying to do. The WR are quite comparable to Federal Conservatives, they have some wing nuts at the extreme (all parties do, left or right), but are learning to silence them. Every party wants power and once they get it they seek to maintain it, this moderates extreme views. None of the 'scary' harper will ban abortion, guns on streets, etc happened with Federal PCs and it won't with WR either.
                        Harper has had to contend with a right-wing faction that wanted to revisit same-sex marriage(and in fact succeeded in holding a vote), impose restrictions on abortion, as well as some Cold War nostalgists who don't like his open-door to China.

For the most part, Harper has managed to keep the right-wingers at bay. Whether Smith would have the same success managing her fringe is anyone's guess. I suspect that for the moment, whoever calls the shots for Wildrose knows that she, and the moderate image she represents, is their best shot at attaining power.

EDIT: Cross-posted with Daily Photo.

Comment

We elected Allison to undertake progressive change.... We should ask ourselves what happened or what stopped her from doing so.

Why did she have to "fight" so hard....

She was very clear on her mandate, she was elected by party members under that mandate, she was elected by voters under that mandate..... why are party brass raging against said mandate? Why is party brass chewing leaders up and spiting them out.... why is an unlected party controlling our gov't.

I think time will ring to light many of the GOOD changes Allison tried to ram through a party that didn't want to change...

The PC party needs to be the focus....... they are the Cancer, they are the unelected"ruler" of Alberta. I would have loved to See Allison give it to them in her pvt meeting.. and I am certain she did such a thing.

The "Party" does everything behind closed doors, the party "decides" what is best... The PC party needs to change.

Comment

The platform she ran on got conveniently thrown out the window of one of her new fleet of government SUV's that she traded in for the government sedans. I should imagine that piece of paper is floating in the North Saskatchewan river somewhere between here and Devon. Remember, it went something like more money for schools, raises, more money for hospital, raises blah, blah, b's b's. Then she does the exact opposite once she was crowned. No wonder the caucus was confused. The only thing Alison ever rammed was the taxpayers wallet.
                            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

One could blame the caucus if there was a lot of dirty laundry being tossed around but it was a very low popularity of the PCs that did it. Looking over the past couple of months, it's gone from 40% in January to 25% in early March to 19% a couple of days ago. I don't think it can be blamed on rot within the electorate.

http://www.threehundredeight.com/201...dford-and.html

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Wildr...678/story.html

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/To...857/story.html

Comment

Well, Redford was the catalyst to bringing them to an all time low. If they had issues with her leadership style, her spending, her attitude it should have been dealt with months ago. It also has to do with their instincts for survival. If they think they are going to sink they will throw anyone under the bus. Some of those older guys in the P.C. party are career politicians. Stuck in their ways and dithering along. Lurching from one portfolio to another and slavering over the anointed one. When that anointed one is out of favor the knives get sharpened. Maybe there should be terms on how long they can stay at the taxpayers trough.
                                Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Working...
                                X