No announcement yet.

PC Party delegates vote in favour of health care premiums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You missed the category of people who are neither intentionally abusing the system nor actively trying to use it wisely. Most people aren't trying to screw the system over but are unaware of the costs associated with it.

You are correct that the pricing is very opaque and hard to peg down, nor would I want the situation that exists in the U.S. where nurses can spend as much time trying to document procedures as actually treating people.

But I do think some system, and it doesn't have to mail outs, that helps people become aware of how much they use, or do not use the system, could be helpful. It could even be a comparative thing where you can see your usage vs others.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

I just don't see what the point of it would be. Armed with that knowledge, what effect do you think it will have on people's use of the system or how they live their lives? I really don't see any benefit that can be realized from such a system/program. It won't change people's behavior or lifestyles one iota.

Comment

I bet a lot of people would receive a statement after a visit then whine that they didn't get their money's worth.

Comment

The government taxes just about everything that moves or does not move. Every time we fill up at the pumps, we by food, appliances, licence plates, the list goes on and on. Maybe we should send reminders to the government on everything they tax us for. Reverse the onus on them.
          Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

CFRN just stated the province is now in the black. Amazing seeing as they were crying poverty a couple of months ago. No AHS premiums for us, not this time anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
              I just don't see what the point of it would be. Armed with that knowledge, what effect do you think it will have on people's use of the system or how they live their lives? I really don't see any benefit that can be realized from such a system/program. It won't change people's behavior or lifestyles one iota.
              Most research into human behaviour says otherwise. How we behave is influenced by what we know so correcting perception of how much we're consuming of a resource does have an effect.

As a quick example, when displays were placed in the lobby of an office building showing how much energy each floor was consuming overall power consumption in the building dropped. The office workers perception of how much energy they were using was very different from the actual and when that was demonstrated on daily basis they altered their behaviour.

Currently our health care is pretty much a black box where we have little idea how much our individual treatments cost. Providing some mechanism to illuminate those costs would help people understand the system they're using could help people in using the system more appropriately. There are a lot of ways that could be done but it could be as simple as making usage statistics available online as an open data project. That at least would make it easier for people like us to have sensible debates on how much is being spent on what.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Switching lights on and off is entirely different from making significant changes in people's lifestyles. I'd be curious if there's any actual studies that show that people being made aware of their health care costs alter their behaviors enough to reduce their use of it.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                  Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                  Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                  This would be brutal, very regressive, hurts people on low incomes or low cash flow.
                  No it didn't. There was allowance for low income earners and the program was part of your taxes just like gst refunds. So your statement is very much false
                  Its not false at all, someone earning 70k will probably pay the same premium as someone earning 300k. For someone earning 70k a few hundred dollars can be the difference between having the money to paybills or not. Health care premiums are inefficient (costly to manage), and regressive. If we don't have enough money, cut spending, or raise the taxes we already are collecting.
                  What.. cough cough... trouble paying bills at 70K I am sorry that is simple money mismanagement.... not poverty.
                  "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

^
                    The payments on the new truck, new 90 inch TV, new set of atv's and snowmobiles plus the mortgage on the largest house you can barely afford and all the junk you need to fill that house with all add up man.

times are tough for everyone man...
                    Last edited by richardW; 27-11-2013, 12:37 PM. Reason: I can't spell
                    be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

That's why I advocate an income tax increase instead of health care premiums.

If Joe Trucknuts can afford a 90" TV and a garage full of quads then he can afford, say, a 5% increase in income tax. Those of us financially savvy enough can always get an income tax refund, whereas with premiums, once it's gone it's gone. Also, those in lower income brackets are exempt from income taxes.

But Reddy won't do it, it will be political suicide for her.
                      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
                        I bet a lot of people would receive a statement after a visit then whine that they didn't get their money's worth.
                        If that person missed 4-5 hours of work losing pay sitting in a Medi-Centre the statement would rub salt in the wounds. I don't think anyone would appreciate a statement reminding them they just spent 10 months in the Glenrose being rehabilitated after an industrial accident or a mother getting a statement on her child's time in the Stollery. The majority of people don't abuse the system. The ones that do abuse the system would more than likely just trash the statement anyway, without even opening it.

Comment

I hear oil prices will drop next year could spell trouble for Alberta's finances that will throw back in red again but wait and see in months ahead from now.
                          Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

I wonder if sending statements to con's would save money. I'm sure many con's who saw a statement of how much it cost to keep them in jail would change their life style. Worth a try.Raising tax, health care premiums no how about cutting at the top to save some money. Nurses who work part time are not the problem they only get over time if they are ask to work on their slash days. most units at the University Hospital have three managers trying to squeeze into the same office and attending the same waste of time meetings trying to figure out how they can save health care dollars. The Solicitor General and Justice are the same managers managing managers.

Comment

this would likely enhance bragging rights
                              Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

Originally posted by peeved View Post
                                I wonder if sending statements to con's would save money. I'm sure many con's who saw a statement of how much it cost to keep them in jail would change their life style. Worth a try.Raising tax, health care premiums no how about cutting at the top to save some money. Nurses who work part time are not the problem they only get over time if they are ask to work on their slash days. most units at the University Hospital have three managers trying to squeeze into the same office and attending the same waste of time meetings trying to figure out how they can save health care dollars. The Solicitor General and Justice are the same managers managing managers.
                                To many part time nurses do affect the bottom line of AHS system.

http://globalnews.ca/news/464917/nur...ime-positions/

They cost more in pay and training costs.
                                I also agree, to many pen pushers at the top levels.

Comment

Working...
                                X