No announcement yet.

Wildrose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's in poor taste, yes... but I don't think it's something that anyone can hold against the Wild Rose or Danielle Smith. The guy got called on for his behaviour, and apologized. People screw up all the time.

Comment

Imagine what a wonderful world it would be if uttering all jokes regarding ethnicity, gender, age, religion, personal appearance, physical handicaps, homophobia, bodily functions and sexual practices was punishable by death.

Like living in Eden !

Last edited by Top_Dawg; 24-11-2009, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Danielle Smith had a GOLDEN oppertunity to make a REAL statement of change... It's hard to convince me your diffrent when you act exactly the same.
        "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
          Imagine what a wonderful world it would be if uttering all jokes regarding ethnicity, gender, age, religion, personal appearance, physical handicaps, homophobia, bodily functions and sexual practices were punishable by death.

Like living in Eden !

No offence Top Dawg.. but a certain c2e hammer fell on you pretty hard a while back.. If I don't recall...I don't think ANYONE viewed that as fun.
          There are lines, and when your on the job certain topics such as the ones listed above are caustic/hateful and can lead to harasment suits.
          Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 24-11-2009, 01:34 PM.
          "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
            No offence Top Dawg.. but a certain c2e hammer fell on you pretty hard a while back.. If I don't recall...I don't think ANYONE viewed that as fun.
            There are lines, and when your on the job certain topics such as the ones listed above are caustic/hateful and can lead to harasment suits.

Sure, one has to recognize the time and the place.

But in general Top_Dawg thinks many today are way too anal.

Top_Dawg's knickers never bunched up 'round his kuyons even when some posted snide and disparaging remarks about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
              Imagine what a wonderful world it would be if uttering all jokes regarding ethnicity, gender, age, religion, personal appearance, physical handicaps, homophobia, bodily functions and sexual practices was punishable by death.

Like living in Eden !

Haha Top_Dawg again with the post of reason

best post in the thread!
              youtube.com/BrothersGrim
              facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

You have to be partially ******** to be any part of the alliance. Would you punish a ******** kid for saying something racist? Probably not. Just doesn't know any better. Would you vote for him? Probably not either.

Comment

I imagine someone as media savvy as Danielle Smith would tell her party members to shut their racist and sexist hole after this incident. If she doesn't nip this at the bud and more dumb comments leak out from members then the Wildrose will lose all momentum. They will live up to the stereotype of the party.

However, perhaps because the Tories have been around much longer, they have had their fair share of redneck attitudes over the years. MLA Ivan Strang telling Raj Pannu to "go back to India", a former Drayton Valley MLA saying Belinda Stronach is a whore, and the fact that Stockwell Day was in Klein's cabinet.

Comment

Paula Simons wrote about this today in the journal.. It's worth a read.

Comment

Wildrose is nothing but disenchanted conservatives.
                      Worse, they hide their true face, which is pro industry, pro religion, and personally a step backwards to what we need.

Comment

Wildrose strategist quits after Twitter misstep

Last Updated: Tuesday, November 24, 2009
                        4:27 PM MT

A political adviser, who apologized last week for an online comment that mocked Alberta's premier, has quit his job with the Wildrose Alliance.

Shawn Howard, a party spokesman, confirmed on Tuesday that Stephen Carter has left his strategist post with leader Danielle Smith. But Howard said the departure has nothing to do with the incident last week.
                        http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...e-twitter.html

I think his departure is 100% related to last week's incident.

Comment

Just curious - what do posters here think of Russell Peters' humour? He makes fun of Chinese accents, Indian accents, white people, etc. Or Eddie Murphy/Richard Prior/etc making fun of white people? The Borat guy, Ali G, or his newer gay persona?

A lot of people laugh. I do. Even when the joke's on me. Am I a bad person? Why do I laugh?

Should they be stopped? Censored? Or is it a time and place thing? Where, and how, do we draw the line. Is making fun of straight people ok, but not gay people? Ridiculing white people is ok, but not if they're from Eastern Europe? Is it a tone of voice thing?

Not trying to make a point really. Just wondering if it's a more nuanced issue.
                          aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

^ It's who you are representing. Russel Peters, Eddie Murphy, and Ali G. are only responsible for their own image. They know what they say and do is not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

A political party strategist or insider has to be careful on what he says because it may reflect on the party. This is especially true when that party is trying to shed its redneck image.

A political scientist said there are some subjects that are off-limits when insulting political rivals. Obviously race and sexists remarks are taboo. It is also in bad form to make fun of appearance (including speech) or involve spouses and kids.

It's okay to say Ed Stelmach is an incompetent fool who doesn't know what he's talking about. But don't make fun on how he talks.

Danielle Smith as leader = 2 steps forward for the Wildrose Party
                            Party strategist making hurtful remarks = 1.5 steps backwards

Comment

I agree. The staffer may have made what he considered an off-hand joke at the Premier's expense. Not the worst thing in the world. The kind of thing everybody might say over a few pops at the local watering hole, among friends. And I'm sure he was thinking it was among friends. But it was on Twitter. He put the Twit, in Twitter. The Premier brushed it off. I'm sure he's used to hearing a lot worse.

There's no question in my mind that many are making far more of it than it really warrants. As they were bound to, given the party he represents. But it was really, really dumb. Especially for a new party already faced with being hung with an ultra right wing rep, that Ms Smith is trying hard to distance them from.

I think he "got resigned" for being stupid, as much as for anything else. They had little choice but to get rid of him, to demonstrate they won't stand for that kind of thing.
                              Last edited by Jimbo; 24-11-2009, 08:00 PM.
                              aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                                It was just some lowly strategist... people make these stupid mistakes all the time. It's not a big deal. He was called on it, and he apologized. That's all there is to this story.
                                Chief of Staff is a lowly strategist? It wasn't so much what he did, bad enough - it was the lame excuse - then the follow up - "but I got a lot of publicity."

The kicker is he's gone and, according to Danielle Smith, "nothing to do with his tweet."

uh huh.
                                ... gobsmacked

Comment

Working...
                                X