No announcement yet.

Should Remembrance Day Moment of Silence be Mandatory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back when I was in grade school we had Remembrance Day ceremonies in the school gym....on November 11.

The one that really enthralled me was when Mr. Dupuis, our school janitor and a WWII veteran, put on his ceremonial uniform and did a question and answer session with the students. He also brought old photographs and war memorabilia. His story of watching a comrade get engulfed with a German flamethrower will make you not want to see another war again. Everyone in the gym gave him a standing ovation.

The school ceremony would always end with the reading of Flanders Field and the playing of The Last Post.

Now that Remembrance Day is a holiday, I wonder if schools still have Remembrance Day ceremonies so kids can still......remember?

Comment

Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
      Now that Remembrance Day is a holiday, I wonder if schools still have Remembrance Day ceremonies so kids can still......remember?
      Yes they do, there was a good one at my kids school last year, with an invited veteran describing experiences he had.

Comment

Remembrance Day Moment of Silence

Edmonton Transit is proud to participate in a moment of silence at 11am on November 11. The entire system including buses and LRT trains will stop at the nearest station or bus stop and observe one minute of silence to pay special tribute to all veterans in recognition of Remembrance Day.

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...y-service.aspx

Comment

^ CP Rail does the same thing
          Mayor Mandel is a immature childish man

Comment

I dont think it should be mandatory. But I think it speaks volumes on a persons character when they do not observe it.
            youtube.com/BrothersGrim
            facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

And I think that people who don't take their hats off during the anthem at the game are disrespectful losers. But to make a law of it? Nope.

Comment

Not mandatory but children should be taught at an early age to show respect for all who fought in wars and the reason we observe Rememberance Day.
                Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

^Hopefully post deleted. Article sent to me by e-mail. Unknown origin of original content and not a very good article to boot.
                  Last edited by Gemini; 09-11-2009, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Previewing pasted posts prevents preposterous and prodigiously poopy postings.
                    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                      ^Hopefully post deleted. Article sent to me by e-mail. Unknown origin of original content and not a very good article to boot.

Comment

I'm usually sleeping so technically I observe it. Mmmm Wednesday holiday.
                        $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Comment

I spoke with somebody who was commenting on having a day off on Wednesday and I encouraged her to attend one of the ceremonies. As I understand, that is the only reason this was ever created a holiday to begin with - to allow people time to attend the ceremonies without missing work.

At my employer we have employees in various provinces so we are each given the federal stat holidays plus several "floater" days to be used on locally celebrated holidays, if desired. However you are also free to take them at any time, including combining several of the floaters together, so in essence they get treated the same as vacation days.

Comment

We spoke in our office and most people preferred to work on Wednesday and have an extra day off around Christmas, however anyone who did want the day off or part of the day off to attend ceremonies are permitted to (but obviously if they take the extra day around the holidays they'll be out a day of vacation) and we'll be observing a moment of silence at 11am.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrecker View Post
                              Originally posted by JasonR View Post
                              Originally posted by Wrecker View Post
                              I think a better gesture would be to make Remembrance Day a stat holiday again.
                              In Alberta, it is a stat holiday.
                              Maybe we need to change the definition of stat holiday, because as far as I'm concerned a stat day means stores should be closed. I refuse to shop on Remembrance Day.
                              Wrecker, it's good that you make that choice. But if the government forced businesses to close, well, that's a bit ironic, isn't it?

Comment

^ Not sure what is ironic? Governments job involves enacting legislation. Some people have no choice, and are forced to work on November 11. There is nothing wrong, or ironic, for the government to establish a law that gives people a day off. Governing is what society expects, and by no means enfringes on "rights"...which is where I assume you were going with this.
                                Mayor Mandel is a immature childish man

Comment

Working...
                                X