Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education Minister’s Plan To Review Past Discipline Cases of Teachers

Agree? Disagree? https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...ssues-ata-says

David Eggen, who was the NDP government’s education minister from 2015 to April 2019, followed all ATA committee recommendations about suspending or revoking teacher certificates.

Among them was Aitcheson’s case. In February, the ATA recommended Eggen suspend Aitcheson’s certificate for “a pattern of heinous actions that exploited the trust and innocence of multiple students.”

Six of the teachers’ former students testified at the December 2018 hearing. Two of them said the teacher rubbed their backs and grabbed their breasts when they were in Grade 6. Three others said Aitcheson pulled them to sit on his lap at his desk and rubbed their backs and necks. The sixth student witnessed the inappropriate touching.

Although Aitcheson submitted a written statement denying he had crossed any lines, the ATA committee found him guilty of five counts of professional misconduct, suspended his association membership for two years.

LaGrange cancelled Aitcheson’s certificate when she became aware of the case earlier this month.

About the Aitcheson case specifically, I have seen enough inappropriate behaviour by school-teachers to know that I can't dismiss an allegation a priori, especially when it's already been ruled as credible by a regulatory body.

On the other hand, I know false allegations do happen, and I can't rule that out, either. Nothing presented in the article leads me to an opinion on that case either way.

As for this allegedly being a political move by the government against the ATA, wouldn't it be a more profitable tactic for the government to focus on cases where the ATA covered up bad behaviour, rather than went overboard in policing it? Then, the narrative could be "See? These left-wing union bureaucrats are protecting their pervy members!" Rather than the union going too far to protect students, which is what this claim of wrongfiul dismissal, if true, would amount to.
    Last edited by overoceans; 31-12-2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Good, it's time to shine a light on these 'professional associations'.

Not a whole in there with respect to the best interests of ths students, and by the way, in addition, when one of it's objectives states (below), the ATA can hardly be independant. This would never fly in a court of law, and should not be tolerated today.

by advising, assisting, protecting and disciplining members in the discharge of their professional duties and relationships;

https://www.teachers.ab.ca/About%20t...Statement.aspx

Comment

^^ Oh, sorry. Just read the article more closely. The government thinks the ATA should have been HARDER on Aitcheson. The ATA wanted a suspension, but the minister yanked his certificate permanently.

Yeah, that would, theoretically, fit into an anti-teacher agenda. Personally, though, if I heard about a teacher doing that kind of stuff, AND if I thought the allegations were credible, I'd want him gone for good as well. Though if this actually involved grabbing students' breasts, I'm kind of wondering why police weren't involved.

Comment

Originally posted by overoceans View Post
          ^^ Oh, sorry. Just read the article more closely. The government thinks the ATA should have been HARDER on Aitcheson. The ATA wanted a suspension, but the minister yanked his certificate permanently.

Yeah, that would, theoretically, fit into an anti-teacher agenda. Personally, though, if I heard about a teacher doing that kind of stuff, AND if I thought the allegations were credible, I'd want him gone for good as well. Though if this actually involved grabbing students' breasts, I'm kind of wondering why police weren't involved.
          Unions have a job to protect their own, and this is another case. Dealt out what they considered a proper judgement, even though it likely flies in the face of a more just and logical type of action.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneman View Post

Unions have a job to protect their own, and this is another case. Dealt out what they considered a proper judgement, even though it likely flies in the face of a more just and logical type of action.
            Maybe. But what would that "just and logical action" be?

If the answer is "Suspension for life", again, I'm wondering why not just go whole-hog and lay criminal charges? This is kind of a strange case, where apparently everyone agrees that the teacher touched girls' breasts in an inappropriate manner, but the only debate is between "two years suspension" and "lifetime suspenstion", with no one apparently thinking that any sort of crime took place.

And I'm NOT saying any sort of crime did take place, but I would really like to know more of the details of this case.
            Last edited by overoceans; 01-01-2020, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X