Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Dinning, is Edmonton in for more of the same apathy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Dinning, is Edmonton in for more of the same apathy?

This comment made to the EDMONTON Sun has me wondering. With Alana pulling out of the race and supporting Jim, I would naturally expect a comment of "we're happy a sitting MLA has decided to join our team and we appreciate her support blah blah blah" from the campaign of Mr. Dinning.

However, this is the comment made to the Edmonton Sun's Darcy Henton in October 12's paper...

Originally posted by Edmonton Sun
    We’re thrilled – a Calgary MLA and the only woman in the race,” said Dinning’s campaign manager Alan Hallman.
    Why bother mentioning that she is from Calgary? WHO CARES!!! You have an MLA giving you support.

I guess I am a bit annoyed as well as I've sent out requests to all leadership candidates for columns on what their leadership campaign means for Edmonton with respect to issues like regional design, the perception of apathy, architecture for the Leg, Ed/Cal corridor promotion, Prince Rupert expansion and Highway 16, etc etc etc, and I have YET to hear ANYTHING from the Dinning camp. Not even a "thank you for writing" like I have from some others, and column committments from a couple of candidates already. (I sent this out September 9th and followed up since).

So, an open question to Mr Dinning - Does you leadership mean more of the same Calgary-centric "who cares about Edmonton" style of the Klein days? With Jim beinig in front, this is what I fear most. After all, we aren't city states, we are at the beck and call of the purse strings and whims of our provincial masters, and by default, the Premier's whims.

...and yes Sonic Death Monkey, I am being typically sensitive here with the Edmonton Ego, but all I'm hearing from the Dinning world is more of the same apathy towards the Captial.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Dinning's a shoe-in. I've set my clock to "more of the same".
    [email protected][email protected]: the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse

Comment

^ It will be more of the same if we don't do something about it.
      Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

I'm smelling over-sensitivity

I don't think Dinning would be another Klein in that regard, I really don't. It seems he realizes that this province is a province with individual parts that each have their own strength.

If he doesn't, well, bad for all of us.
        LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Probably even more Calgary centric and will make Ralph look like a moderate.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesC
            I'm smelling over-sensitivity

I don't think Dinning would be another Klein in that regard, I really don't. It seems he realizes that this province is a province with individual parts that each have their own strength.

If he doesn't, well, bad for all of us.
            ...except for Calgarians.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasH

...except for Calgarians.
              Don't kid yourself. The fate of this province is tied together. A city of 1 million people simply does not have what it takes to get noticed in the modern world.

To be fair, Mr. Dinning himself has said:

“Alberta is stronger because of Edmonton. I want to lead a PC Party that respects that unique Edmonton perspective ... a Party and a government that respects Edmonton's role as Alberta's capital, a place where the business of government gets done.
              I know from the 19 years I lived in and raised my children in Edmonton between 1977 and 1997. I know that Edmonton is uniquely different than the rest of Alberta. Different history. Different geography. Unique spirit. A one-of-a-kind community mindedness.

Edmonton is absolutely on the move. Economically and financially, Edmonton is a major hub of activity.”

Edmonton Meadowlark PC Association, March 20, 2006

Can we think of any time in his early years Klein said ANYTHING about the Capital?
              LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Can we think of any time in his early years Klein said ANYTHING about the Capital?
                Yep. He said he actually grew to love Edmonton over Calgary - to which he was almost tarred and feathered back in Mooville.

While the sentiments above are nice, it says nothing for what his leadership would actually DO for Edmonton. Overall, it is a "nice kitty".

Comment

I want to lead a PC Party that respects that unique Edmonton perspective ... a Party and a government that respects Edmonton's role as Alberta's capital, a place where the business of government gets done.
                  "Unique" is a loaded term, Dinning needs to be more specific in what he is talking about. I find it very hard to trust anyone who was in Ralph Kelin's inner circle.

Comment

I too fear more of the same if not worse. Is there any hope for Mark Norris?

Comment

^ I bet the businesses that use the Muni are funding his campaign. I havn't seen any candidate that completely reflects what I want to see happen so I won't be a PC party member. To me it looks like Lyle Olberg is the best one of the bunch so far.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
                        Yep. He said he actually grew to love Edmonton over Calgary - to which he was almost tarred and feathered back in Mooville.

While the sentiments above are nice, it says nothing for what his leadership would actually DO for Edmonton. Overall, it is a "nice kitty".
                        Richard, I'm not sure if you are reffering to Klein but, it was Dinning that said he grew to love Edmonton over Calgary while he lived here for something like 17 years.

I'm not worried that Dinning may "LOVE" Edmonton, I am concerned as to who is pulling his strings.

Comment

Nope, Klein said that. It happened when I lived in Calgary and the Redneck Sun had it on the front page...

Comment

Working...
                          X