Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urban Kids Monthly Games Night BYOB (boardgame)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban Kids Monthly Games Night BYOB (boardgame)

Urban Kids Monthly Games Night BYOB (boardgame)

Hosted by Downtown Edmonton Community League

Friday, March 20at 7:00pm

2 days from now
    10042 103 Street

Urban Kids is the children's play group of the Downtown Edmonton Community League where kids can play, explore and make friends in their neighbourhood.

Once a month we meet to play board games and chit chat. We've got kids of all ages. Some that are two years old. Some that are seven. Most of the kids live downtown, but some of them are guests of DECL members. All of us like to play games and have a good time.

Refreshments and snacks provided, but feel free to bring cookies for the group. Who in their right mind would say no to a plate of chocolate chip cookies? Not us. And we've been known to have a DJ on Friday nights because Franka likes to dance. (Wait till you meet Franka. She's our seven-year-old fearless leader who started this all and keeps us motivated.)

If you've been invited it's because
    a) You live downtown and have a child
    b) You know a DECL member who thought you might want to come downtown on a Friday night. (Remember what life was like before you had kids and you used to hang out downtown on the weekends all the time?)
    c) You're a pretty cool person and someone who lives downtown wants you there.

We'll provide a bunch of games, but if you have a favourite one, bring it. We like learning new games.

Downtown Community League memberships available for purchase at the event. Annual memberships are $5 and that includes free swim at the downtown YMCA every Sunday afternoon. There's no better deal in #yegdt.

Fb event

https://www.facebook.com/events/1014894785206077/

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

A kids group that starts at 7pm? Seems a bit counterproductive.

Comment

Futile attempts at trying to say downtown Edmonton is kid friendly... LOL
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

^you are really something. People are coming to us with ideas on how to improve the friendliness of downtown for families and you call their idea 'futile' and basically tell them to quit before they start? You should be ashamed of yourself.

^^This event was started by a mother and daughter with DECL helping facilitate it. This event drew kids last event and is growing in popularity. Urban kids drink coffee, 7pm is fine Seems like 7-830pm works well.
        Last edited by IanO; 19-03-2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

^you are really something too. I wont derail your thread further, but you should keep your comments in mind next time you knock something out of your 10 block area, which you are more than famous for. (See Currents of Windermere, Signature threads for prime examples).

I think the idea is futile because downtown isn't a family friendly place, and a bunch of board games isn't going to change that,
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

^how is it not? Amenities are far more plentiful and accessible than other areas. There are more daycares downtown than anywhere else, There is the Leg grounds, Churchill, McKay, Beaverhills, forthcoming warehouse parks as well as the river valley. The YMCA, MacEwan and Kinsmen facilities are great for families. We have an 4 elementary, a jr high, a high school within a 5mins drive. There are a few single family, townhouses, loft, bach, 1, 2, 3 bedroom apartments, many with indoor amenity spaces.

Sure we can improve the family friendliness that is downtown/central Edmonton, but it can and is done now by some and more every single day.

That aside, to come in here and call a free, accessible, family orientated event 'futile' is absolutely astonishing and quite sad.

Comment

The Leg grounds, Churchill, McKay and Beaverhills are hardly kids parks, or places where kids play, or should play.

bach, 1, 2 bedroom suites, lofts, etc, which make up 90% or more of the residences in downtown and oliver are hardly a place to raise children. The townhouses and single family homes are far and few between, especially in downtown proper

I'm not sure why the DECL is after a demographic that will never work well in environment that the DECL is. It's a futile attempt by the DECL to try and pretend like downtown is family friendly.
              Last edited by Medwards; 19-03-2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Clearly you are unfamiliar with them. There are often kids in each, supervised and each present unique ways for kids to enjoy them.

Who are you to say? Yes we need more 2-3, TH options, but people raise kids in the space/environment they see fit.

'Never' say never why? Because clearly you are unaware of the numbers of kids centrally today and how it has been growing each yr and likely will continue to grow. No it will not likely be an area where most families choose to be, but some do and will.

But thanks for derailing and insulting her, their and our effort. Bravo.

Comment

Clearly, you are delusional. I have frequented those parks for years. They is hardly ever kids in them, outside of the rare hot day which the leg ground pools might see a few.

Who am I to say? Who are you to say? Who crowned you the all-knowing all seeing expert on Edmonton or even Downtown Edmonton? Has something gone to your head?

And hey, glad I could return the favour. I'm sure your next visit to threads outside of the downtown area will be just as pleasant.

Comment

Anyways, let's get back to awareness of a free, accessible, fun, family friendly event.

Comment

fair enough, I wont comment further on this thread. Sorry for commenting in the first place. Just find so much irony.

Comment

Originally posted by nobleea View Post
                        I disagree, this gives families a chance to have dinner and similar. This is a great idea, I play a lot of chess, I would have loved this as a kid (I loved board games then).

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                          Originally posted by nobleea View Post
                          I disagree, this gives families a chance to have dinner and similar. This is a great idea, I play a lot of chess, I would have loved this as a kid (I loved board games then).
                          Below about the age of 8, the vast majority of kids will be starting their bedtime routine at 7pm.

Comment

^mine certainly didn't, and I don't expect that's the main target group here (below that age will struggle with group boardgames, although looks like much more than just that with this). My kids attend a langauge school on Friday nights till 9.30pm, I don't think 7pm start is a stretch at all for that night (no school on saturday). This is a great idea, it beats Friday night xbox by a mile.
                            Last edited by moahunter; 19-03-2015, 12:01 PM.

Comment

The Urban Kids Board Game Night was organized by DECL members who have kids that live downtown and wanted a fun way to meet other parents and kids in the neighbourhood.

If you don't have kids and you don't live downtown then it probably doesn't concern you.
                              www.decl.org

Comment

Working...
                              X