2014 Winter Olympics (Sochi) - Russian laws on LGBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ Olympic deep frying....
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
      Originally posted by expat View Post
      In the other countries where I've lived the event barely registers
      Which event - Winter Olympics, or hockey?

Probably both, I suppose.
      Ah sorry, I didn't make that very clear. Yes the whole thing really.

I notice it's getting a fair bit of international coverage at the moment, but that has more to do with the politics than with anything to do with sport.
      "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

The winter Olympics has always been the smaller event. But a lot less of the planet sees snow as well... so it more about logic than anything it being less relevant. Less relevant to whom?
        "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
          The winter Olympics has always been the smaller event. But a lot less of the planet sees snow as well... so it more about logic than anything it being less relevant. Less relevant to whom?
          Less relevant to most of the world... These are expensive, first world passtimes, that the majority of the world's population would be priced out of participating in even if the lack of frigid weather conditions were not an issue.
          "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
            This is awful EDP.

However, gay bashing occurs everywhere unfortunately - even in Canada, the U.S., and the U.K., it is not uncommon to read of assaults and, albeit rare, even murders.

Top_Dawg doesn't understand what the IOC has to do with it.

The huge difference in Russia is that the government either turns a blind eye, or implicitly encourages these brutal beatings and harassments of LGBT people. Putin's government does not charge and arrest these violent homophobic criminals that seek out LGBT people and assault them. They are tacitly okay with it, in fact.

And the IOC knows this, and they are turning a blind eye to it as well.

You can't say the same of governments in Canada, the US, or the UK.

Comment

Putin has many opinions on social health:

Putin Wages War on Vodka as Lifestyle Death Toll Mounts

One thing he wants is to dry out the drunks.
              I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Working...
              X