2014 Winter Olympics (Sochi) - Russian laws on LGBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Winter Olympics (Sochi) - Russian laws on LGBT

Like him or hate him, you got to applaud what Brian Burke says about Russia's anti-gay laws, and what he's going to do about it at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...8485/index.htm
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Very thoughtful article, and a great honour for his late son.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

He has the courage and the love that every man wishes (or should wish) to have for their own children.

I've a lot of respect for Mr. Burke. Well said.
      ... gobsmacked

Comment

Yessir, he aced it.
        Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Shame the IOC doesn't seem to have men / women with equal courage. As horrible as these anti-LGBT laws in Russia are, I can understand their existence as the unfortunate reality of the world (not that it justifies the laws of course). That, globally, most gays and lesbians do not enjoy the same legal equalities we are fortunate to have in Canada.

What is totally inexcusable as been the complete lack of firm action or acknowledgement from the IOC. An international organization whose mission statement includes promoting peace and equality should not be so passive to act on a situation like this. Not that this is surprising / new, but it's unfortunate the IOC has become more concerned about pleasing sponsors than upholding the Olympic spirit.

Comment

I would sincerely hope that Top Dawg has been banned for the deleted post he made in this thread. That's easily one of the most offensive things I've seen on these boards.

Comment

Wow, color me intrigued......

Comment

He suggested reprogramming camps with an array of physical tortures to fix the 'fudge packers'.
                I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Not acceptable....

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                    I would sincerely hope that Top Dawg has been banned for the deleted post he made in this thread. That's easily one of the most offensive things I've seen on these boards.
                    Nope, not banned.
                    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by halocore View Post
                      Shame the IOC doesn't seem to have men / women with equal courage. As horrible as these anti-LGBT laws in Russia are, I can understand their existence as the unfortunate reality of the world (not that it justifies the laws of course). That, globally, most gays and lesbians do not enjoy the same legal equalities we are fortunate to have in Canada.

What is totally inexcusable as been the complete lack of firm action or acknowledgement from the IOC. An international organization whose mission statement includes promoting peace and equality should not be so passive to act on a situation like this. Not that this is surprising / new, but it's unfortunate the IOC has become more concerned about pleasing sponsors than upholding the Olympic spirit.
                      If Canada/Canadians feel so strongly about this issue they could always unilaterally boycott the event?... Or maybe "Owning the Podium" is more important than standing up for one's declared principles?
                      "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

I can't wait to ignore the games.

Comment

I'm too much of a late riser, so I might miss a lot of the prime time events, which'll probably occur at 10 in the morning.

Comment

I moved this thread here and retitled it for clarity as to the conversation. I may create an Olympic subforum back in sports, and if so, I will move this into that subforum.
                            Ow

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                              If Canada/Canadians feel so strongly about this issue they could always unilaterally boycott the event?... Or maybe "Owning the Podium" is more important than standing up for one's declared principles?
                              I don't see many other countries boycotting. I suspect such would backfire, imagine if countries boycotted Canadian Olympics because of the oil sands, or the terrible conditions in many aboriginal communities? While I don't agree with Russia's laws, I think the approach of providing refugee status for people impacted to come to canada makes more sense, economically and politically.

Comment

Working...
                              X