• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    What majority?

The funding model was not an election issue. The funding changed dramatically and you have not a single piecer of evidence that the majority of Edmontonians support the fundiing model.
    We elected the people who were going to negotiate the model. They were hardly unknown. Maybe you should ask why the arena was never a major topic in the election? Maybe because it has to do with the overwhelming support for it. I'm Sorry PRT... your view does not match the sentiments of most people. The overwhelming reply to this especially within my demographic is "Get it built"

I'm tired of the whining and the NIMBYism... ooo and the lack of vision. I pay taxes so stuff like this can get built.. I could only wish for more investment into our cities.

Don't throw back some BS about a multi million dollar play pen for a billionaire. That is a sensational statement that isn't true. The city owns the building. Katz Carries all the operational risk associated to it and upkeep on the building. If he doesn't pay the outlined rent, he is punted and the city moves in and gets everything.

This is not different than a PVT developer building a building and than leasing it out. That's all we are doing... Building a building and leasing it to Katz.
    Why don't you address his statements in his Letter to the Editor rather than your mindless rants?
    I don't have to... the arena is getting built...

The best thing to do to a petulant child is ignore them.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

I pay taxes so stuff like this can get built.. I could only wish for more investment into our cities.
      Some time after it will have been built (oooh, assuming, assuming...) will be a good moment to analyze the project's effective wealth redistribution effects on the city's economy.

But such analyses are deadly dull, except to those who are on the wrong side of long spent municipal revenues.

Comment

The city looses all its leverage?? HOW.. YOu don't pay the rent.. you dont get to rn the building. Don't forget the city gets the space 4 week out of the year... Plus the money from it.
        By negotiating a stupidly low rent we lose our leverage.

Further negotiation would just be a shell game.
        I don't think that this is an appropriate use of the term "shell game"

Nor is anyone taking into consideration that Months after the approvalto move ahead with the project we are now looking at 5+ towers.. a new hotel and other major projects on top of the the 4 block site.
        Please provide a list of those towers and when they were announced.

The increased tax windfall from this is HUGE. would it have gotten built in time.. maybe but what id the increased tax winfalll of the projects being built five years sooner?
        Please provide a list of those projects which have been brought forward due to the Arena.

Thins do not operate in a vacuum. THe building of the new arena ramps up the need for the SE - W LRT line. The CRL means a dedicated pool of funds will be spent improving our DT core. AND.. the arena, the the choosing of who is goign to build/design it is creating positive North American headlines about Edmonton..
        By spending money on an arena we need to spend more money on LRT. Financially this does not go in the positive collumn.

What North American headline did we get for choosing the designer or builder of this arena. Link please.

These Myopic simplistic one sided views of the issue are classic Edmonton.

Time to put on the big city pants people!
        Insulting people because you don't agree with them is not the best way of winning an argument.

However that does not stop people from trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Arsoys View Post
          I pay taxes so stuff like this can get built.. I could only wish for more investment into our cities.
          Some time after it will have been built (oooh, assuming, assuming...) will be a good moment to analyze the project's effective wealth redistribution effects on the city's economy.

But such analyses are deadly dull, except to those who are on the wrong side of long spent municipal revenues.

Analyzing and bemoaning the waste of taxpayer dollars (once again assuming...) after they are spent is like closing the barn door after the horse has run away.

Comment

Originally posted by kjh View Post
            Originally posted by Arsoys View Post

Analyzing and bemoaning the waste of taxpayer dollars (once again assuming...) after they are spent is like closing the barn door after the horse has run away.
            Maybe if we analyze it after the fact we can avoid repeating the same mistake for once...

Comment

who is going to benifit once the areana is built

What we need to remember after the areana is built is that Edmonton will have outclassed the cowboys down the hiway to cowtown. Im in for it. I am not an oiler fan or big on sports but wow this will create some vibrance in the downtown core and it will be great form my propery value .

Is there an new hotel being built by the Epcor tower or some thing like that. I thought it was going to be built by the Katz group for their hocky players. does any one know or is it just internet lies

Comment

Quebec City will break ground on NHL-ready arena in September. Link -> CBC

(Quebecor CEO Pierre Karl) Peladeau made no mention of the NHL in his statement either, saying the arena would be a multi-purpose facility that would make "all Quebecers proud."

Two Quebec ministers, Michelle Courchesne and Sam Hamad, were also on hand for the announcement.

The province and Quebec City have pledged millions in taxpayer money for the project.
                It really burns my britches that Quebec City will have a new barn before Edmonton, yet they don't even have an NHL club.
                Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far / shine on you crazy diamond

Comment

Working...
                X