This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruce Saville spoke yesterday.
    “Do we want to be a world-class city? Do we want to be grouped with Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver? Or do we want to be grouped with Regina, Hamilton, Windsor and Moncton?

Yes Dagnabit!

I want to be exactly like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver!

Montreal. Bell Centre, 1996, $400 million, all private.
    Toronto. Air Canada Centre, 1999, $174.9 million, all private.
    Vancouver. General Motors Place, 1995, $116.5 million, all private.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

I'm against the present deal.

The city is in for so much upfront cost on this arena build and related expense I have to poise one thought that hasn't been expressed much.

If we're all in to this degree anyway why not just have the city agree to pay an extra 200M to Katz and just buy the club and collect all club and arena revenues.

I'm being a bit tongue in cheek with the latter but its odd at best that the city would be far better off financially just being owner of all of it, then the present deal with Katz as continued team owner, arena beneficiary, and collecting new arena revenues.
      Last edited by Replacement; 26-10-2011, 01:57 PM.
      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

No disrespect to Mr Katz but when he bought the team, it was slightly considered that he wouldn't use the idea of moving the team as a bargaining chip.

He gets such a sweet deal out of this while we get held emotionally hostage towards an arena model that can either work well or be a massive snafu.

I'd rather it went back to a co op ownership consisting of people who want the team to succeed either way.

Comment

I oppose the deal for many of the reasons bounced around on this site. The announcement regarding the RAM tonight is an interesting development. I suspect the province will now find some money to support an arena project in both Edmonton and Calgary. We have given the federal Cons licence to do whatever they please in this province/city. Their pals at the Legislature don't have the same latitude. The feds are the fall guy for squashing the RAM build and the province can be the hero for giving the people the arena they want. Pretty snazzy bit of politics if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by ajs View Post
            I oppose the deal for many of the reasons bounced around on this site. The announcement regarding the RAM tonight is an interesting development. I suspect the province will now find some money to support an arena project in both Edmonton and Calgary. We have given the federal Cons licence to do whatever they please in this province/city. Their pals at the Legislature don't have the same latitude. The feds are the fall guy for squashing the RAM build and the province can be the hero for giving the people the arena they want. Pretty snazzy bit of politics if you ask me.

When you make a major purchase, you get a quote in writing.
            If you buy a house, you make an offer in writing.
            When you get pre-approved for a mortgage, you get approval in writing.

Why are these government deals like the arena and the RAM done without a paper trail. We are talking about millions of taxpayer dollars. If the money was promised, then there should be a piece of paper to back it up.
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Good question Edmonton PRT. Broadly, all governments everywhere value secrecy and deniability above everything else. Paula Simons tidbit today about a spat between the Harperites and the Stelmachtians over the RAM announcement during the federal election campaign sounds awfully convenient. It certainly fits the Alberta vs. Ottawa frame that has benefitted this provincial government for such a long time.

Comment

^^^

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                This is for members to post their anti-arena thoughts. I will forward an e-
                mail to councillors to let them know this thread exists.

There will be no debate here. Only your opinion. Posters who violate this rule will be suspended for the duration of this exercise.
                A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Oh Puuuuuuleeeeezzzzz. You of all people Medwards?
                  A thousand apologies for carrying on a civil conversation -- I've checked the RAM thread and would rather not participate.

Comment

I am closing this as the vote is in. We can discuss/debate the results in the other threads.
                    Ow

Comment

Working...
                    X