No announcement yet.

Don Cherry fired from HNIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually like Brian Burke as a TV commentator more than a GM of a hockey team.

He has a lot of insightful things to say from his GM days. If you listen to him on Bob Stauffer every Thursday, you'll know what I mean.

At the very least, Burke is more recently involved with the NHL than Don Cherry. Burke is more in-touch hockey-wise and society wise.

Comment

The really annoying thing about his hypocrisy is that he wasn't wearing an official, Legion poppy. Complain about other people and don't support the legion yourself.

Check out the legion store. Don't see his poppy there.

https://www.poppystore.ca/products-search?qs=poppy

Comment

I heard that Burkey is indeed going to be his replacement on "Coach's Corner." Too bad...I loathe him.....him and his hair and his lose tie around the one side of his neck.....going for the I'm-too-cool-for-school-nonchalance.

Comment

Yeah, my annoyance with Burke is more about how he carries himself (you don't have to scowl 24/7) than about his commentary.

Comment

Sportsnet should of kept the 7 sec. tape delay like what the CBC did to Coach's Corner 15 years ago:

CBC News · Posted: Feb 06, 2004
            Cherry has been in trouble many times before for his controversial comments, which aren't limited to hockey.

Last year, he and host Ron MacLean stirred up a hornets' nest when they spent an entire Coach's Corner discussing Canada's decision not to join the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

In 1998, CBC ombudsman David Bazay ruled Cherry went too far when he ranted about Jean-Luc Brassard being selected as Canada's flag-bearer at Nagano Olympics. Cherry called the Olympic gold medalist "a French guy, some skier that nobody knows about."

Cherry has also taken on Quebec nationalists, saying "they don't like the Canadian flag but they want our money, we bail them out. I've never seen such a bunch of whiners in my life."

The CBC will now put Coach's Corner on a seven-second delay. "This practice is common on many live broadcasts and is in effect immediately," Redekopp said.
            https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cbc-p...delay-1.475756

Comment

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/11...coachs-corner/
              "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

On that note, and as I said about Cherry being objectively terrible at his job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIAv...wSHjtFsT2sHw7w

Comment

Interesting that saying something “divisive” is now very politically incorrect and cause for firing. The public and politicians had better start being careful about speaking negatively and divisively of those on the right or left (whatever they are) or about those with any number of beliefs.

Don Cherry not apologizing for Coach's Corner poppy rant | CBC Sports

“ "During the broadcast, he made divisive remarks ..”

“ Shortly after, CBC also released a statement: "Don Cherry's remarks on Saturday night were divisive, discriminatory and offensive..”

“ Mr. Cherry’s personal opinion was hurtful, divisive and in no way condoned by the Legion....”

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...rner-1.5355764

Citizens buy divisive language, so politicians sell it.“

Source:
                  Gladwin and Harris: Politicians aren’t solely to blame for nasty election discourse – Ottawa Citizen

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/co...tion-discourse
                  Last edited by KC; 11-11-2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Cherry told The Canadian Press in an interview late Monday that he meant what he said when he made the remarks on Saturday night, and still says everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour fallen soldiers.He says he wasn't directing his comments to minorities, and that what he said applies to English, Scottish or Irish immigrants or any newcomer.
                    If that's what he'd actually said, that ALL Canadians should wear poppies, there'd be no problem. But he didn't. He specifically singled out immigrants, there's no question about it. If you go on a rant about something and use the term "you people", you're going to have a bad time.

Comment

I should point out that the poppy comment was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Cherry has been playing the Archie Bunker bigotry card for over 30 years now, so his dismissal was a long time coming.
                      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

At most I’ve heard the guy speak maybe four or five times. I just know that he’s been controversial.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                          Cherry told The Canadian Press in an interview late Monday that he meant what he said when he made the remarks on Saturday night, and still says everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour fallen soldiers.He says he wasn't directing his comments to minorities, and that what he said applies to English, Scottish or Irish immigrants or any newcomer.
                          If that's what he'd actually said, that ALL Canadians should wear poppies, there'd be no problem. But he didn't. He specifically singled out immigrants, there's no question about it. If you go on a rant about something and use the term "you people", you're going to have a bad time.
                          English, Scottish and Irish in Canada, immigrants or not, are minorities aren’t they?

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                            English, Scottish and Irish in Canada, immigrants or not, are minorities aren’t they?
                            Not in Cherry's Anglo-Saxon world they aren't.

Do you ever tire of playing a naive devil's advocate when you full well know better?

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                              Not in Cherry's Anglo-Saxon world they aren't.

Do you ever tire of playing a naive devil's advocate when you full well know better?
                              I always enjoy the BS.

“ However, through his persistent celebration of hard hits and concussions, his transparent disdainfor Europeans,...”

Source:

Don Cherry's weaponization of poppy dangerously perverts Canada's national identity | CBC News

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/opin...ssam-1.5355369
                              Last edited by KC; 11-11-2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

He went too far. He's never been PC, and he's what? 85. He's not going to change. He was given an opportunity to apologize, and wouldn't. I suspect we'll see him on another show. Btw, if I was Roger's I wouldn't of given him the opportunity , it makes me think twice about Rogers.
                                Animals are my passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X