Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Cherry fired from HNIC

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-night-canada/

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

He's been a parody of himself for years. Lately, he's just been spouting things just to be controversial. Won't miss him in the slightest.

Comment

too many years of dressing up in old sofa fabrics and choke collars that must have cut off circulation to his brain...
      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

just another loudmouth hiding behind "telling it like it is" goes down...
        I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this too. Don Cherry has meant well for Canadian hockey, and his heart has usually been in the right place. However, Don;s judgement has regressed ever since his wife Rose passed away. There were many redneck comments that we as an audience enjoyed and were generally harmless. I think though that Don's judgement has slipped. How much in of the way of research has he done on the immigrants? What does he think of the Punjabi edition of Hockey NIght in Canada, giving new Canadians a chance to learn the game? How many of these "people" have come over to Canada, having ancestors who fought in the World Wars, or having to endure wars often mediated by Canadian Peacekeepers? Do you really think they don't care about the Canadian efforts to fight for peace?
          "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
            too many years of dressing up in old sofa fabrics and choke collars that must have cut off circulation to his brain...
            Somewhere there's a Volkswagen without seat covers.
            Venus Flytrap - WKRP

Comment

I don't know what was louder. Don Cherry's mouth or his suits.

Won't miss him on the TV at all. He is 85, time to hang up the skates and retire.
              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Comment

P.K. Subban agrees to replace Don Cherry

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 11-11-2019, 03:14 PM.
                  Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Felt sorry for Ron McLean all these years having to be a sidekick to the blowhard.

Its a strange thing though. Don Cherry didn't start being inappropriate last week. Happened for decades and as long as he's been in the public light. Hockey too, is far from immune and such luminaries as Bobby Hull are just terrible bigots.

The hockey world hasn't been terribly innocent in this regard and Cherry figuratively was just the topping.

Agreed with an Earlier comment thought that Cherry got worse after Rose died. Indeed a lot of pain inflicted can be the result of pain experienced. Not excusing it.

But there's no doubt Rose would have told Don to put a sock in it on more than one occasion.

In anycase the cringe worthy segment has finally been removed. Should have been decades ago.
                    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

^^^^

the suits were louder, the mouth was more offensive.
                      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Yeah, he's long been a bigot, and hasn't been shy about it. He frequently made remarks about "French guys in visors" and the like. He said some pretty offside things in the aftermath of 9/11, and again during the 2003 Iraq invasion. But even that aside, he's been objectively bad at his job for years. He can barely string a coherent sentence together, let alone a paragraph. I don't get why they've kept him around as long as they did, because this was just a matter of time. I know that it's all about advertising dollars at the end of the day, but if the prime demographic is 18-45 or whatever, then I don't see why he had such an iron grip on the slot. I'm 38 and have never been a fan of Cherry, and I hardly know anyone else who liked his schtick either.

Good riddance. It'll be interesting to see how they move things around. In a perfect world, they'd poach Ferraro from TSN/NBC, as he's one of the best and most opinionated analysts out there these days. And he actually knows how the game is played today, not in the 70's. But even if it's just more time for Friedman, Marek and other panelists I'm fine with that too. I've been changing the channel on HNIC broadcasts during the intermission for years. It'll be nice to not have to anymore.

If I see more of Colby Armstrong or Brian Burke, I will not be happy.
                        Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 11-11-2019, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Eskimos win. Oilers win. Stampeders lose. How could anything get better this weekend? Oh, here you go.

Comment

Cherry had long worn out his welcome, and was really only there out of some sense of whatever you may call familiarity.

It is franly surprising the segment lasted this long.

It is high time the segment, if it survives, goes back to being what it was supposed to be...even in the Howie Meeker days....look look look, back it up...you know...COACH'S CORNER...not old man yells at cloud...

President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Hopefully they get a coach from this century....
                              I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

Working...
                              X