Edmonton Oilers - 2019 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton Oilers - 2019 off-season thread

I just got off the phone with Bob Nicholson, who told me that Ken Holland will become the next GM of the Edmonton Oilers unless some unforseen circumstances arise. He did not say what will become of Keith Gretzky, Ken Hitchcock or the rest of the staff.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

You had a one-on-one conversation with Bob Nicholson, or was that part of a conference call?

Anyway, I could imagine Holland wouldn't be as bad as Chiarelli, but that doesn't mean he's good enough. The Wings' cap management failures are quite disturbing.

I'm not optimistic about this, but, as always with my Oilers fandom, I want to be wrong.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

I believe that Mark Hunter is the one that Oilers should get. He has done a good job with London Knights of OHL in the last few yrs.
      Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

I wonder if the OBC will stay together.
        "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

^^ Mark Hunter would be good although there's his relative lack of NHL experience plus his tenuous links with the Boys On The Bus.
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Saw an article that suggested Holland trade Lucic (likely to Van for picks), buyout Sekera, and sign free agent Matt Duchene likely in the 8-9mil range.
            Lucic is addition by subtraction and Duchene would certainly add firepower. Would need a few more complementary players.

Comment

It would be impossible to trade Lucic for picks without taking on salary in return. How can anyone make an argument that he has enough trade value to yield such a return? No team would buy Lucic's radioactive, buyout-proof contract for even a 7th round pick!

You might be able to trade Lucic with picks in order to shed his salary while taking on little or nothing in return, but that could be a steep cost just to get rid of the dude.

The likelier course of action is the Oilers trading Lucic for a similarly problematic contract, or a less problematic contract while retaining a significant portion of his salary.

It is going to be a challenge.

#### Chiarelli and Nicholson.
              “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

^or Lucic for another bad contract. I'm not sure that helps the team much (if nothing else, at least Lucic brings some toughness). The latest rumor is Erickson in Vancouver:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/luci...-interest-2019

Comment

Originally posted by nobleea View Post
                  Saw an article that suggested Holland trade Lucic (likely to Van for picks), buyout Sekera, and sign free agent Matt Duchene likely in the 8-9mil range.
                  Lucic is addition by subtraction and Duchene would certainly add firepower. Would need a few more complementary players.
                  Who came up with that plan, exactly? First of all, you're not trading Lucic for picks. Unless you mean that the Oilers are packaging a bunch of THEIR picks to bribe a team in to taking his awful contract. Otherwise, the best that can be hoped for is trading his contract for an equally bad one, like Ericksson in Vancouver. Or maybe they can up the value a bit by throwing in picks, prospects, or retention on Lucic's salary. Otherwise, no bueno. Lucic is a net negative in ANY trade. You don't get anything back for him save an asset that is also a negative.

Buying out Sekera probably makes sense, but I feel like it would make more sense next year so you don't have 4 years of fairly heavy penalties. He's not worth his contract, but he's a solid player. I think they'd be better off trying to move Russell, as his contract isn't as bad (although still not great) but he's still nothing more than a 3rd pairing shot blocker.

As far as Duchene goes, first of all, he'd have to want to go to Edmonton. As we've seen repeatedly, few players do when the choice is totally up to them. And I can't say I blame them, even if just going by on ice performance and the off-ice gong-show. So that means you have to wildly overpay for them (see every single free-agent signing the Oilers have made in the cap era). The Oilers already have a problem with a bunch of overpaid players on their roster, and are desperate to get rid of some. So then they should immediately turn around and throw money/term at another one? Duchene is 28. His best years are already behind him, and they were never great to begin with. He's put up nearly identical numbers to Eberle in his career (.75 PPG vs .72 PPG). And someone thinks its a good idea to throw a 5+ year contract at 8-9 million for him? Count me out.

The fact is, the teams that win Cups do not do it through free agency. They build from within, and maybe there's a couple trades along the way. But for teams that have won Cups in the cap era, almost none invested significant dollars in big game hunting on July 1. The ones that try to build like that end up capped out.
                  Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 06-05-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Read this blog post dissecting Holland from Detroit yesterday and weep....

http://detroitsportsrag.com/overrate...nt-the-answer/

Comment

Edmonton Oilers announced there will be a 10am press conference today.

Comment

Ian,

I am pleased to share we will be officially introducing Ken Holland as the new General Manager and President of Hockey Operations of the Edmonton Oilers in just a few minutes. Ken’s experience as a hockey executive and his success as an NHL General Manager set him apart from everyone else identified in our search for this key leadership role. His arrival marks an important step towards delivering the success we all expect on the ice. Ken will have my full support and will receive complete autonomy on all aspects of Oilers hockey operations.

Our news conference to introduce Ken will be broadcast live on EdmontonOilers.com, Sportsnet, 630 CHED and Global News 880 beginning at 10:00 AM MT today.

Thank you again for your commitment to Oilers hockey.

Sincerely,

Bob Nicholson signature
                        Bob Nicholson

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

what happened to katz...is he the physical embodiment of every oiler fan's suffering?

Comment

Katz sat in the sun too long and his plastic nose melted..
                            "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by B.ike View Post
                              what happened to katz...is he the physical embodiment of every oiler fan's suffering?

Holy...Batman, what happened?!

Comment

Working...
                              X