No announcement yet.

Edmonton to continue FIFA 2026 bid process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're talking eight years out. I'd sure hope air connections are considerably better by then!
    ... gobsmacked

Comment

Exciting news for the Edmonton soccer community... 17 year old Edmontonian Alphonso Davies transferred from Vancouver Whitecaps to Bayern Munich for an amount expected over $20 million. The biggest transfer in MLS history.

Not only does he represent a huge potential for Canada's national team, but he's been vocal in representing Edmonton and it's bid as a host city for the World Cup. His family had quite the journey to get here as well:

He described being born in a refugee camp in Ghana after his parents fled the Liberian civil war. The family later immigrated to Canada and eventually settled in Edmonton.
      https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls...nich-1.4761328
      Go down a few dark alleys.

Comment

^The only thing that sucks is that Whitecaps are getting this transfer fee. The Fath Brothers and FC academy here probably deserve it more for what they did. I get that he's whitecaps property but would be nice to see some of this kind of money to go back to player development. I think even Alphonso would want that.

Couldn't happen to a nicer kid but DFB is kind of in disarray at the moment. Not all happy over there. Most of the Football news in Germany these days is disturbing.
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

FC Edmonton won't get any money because they had no part in Davies training, I believe he only attended a couple training sessions for conditioning only. Edmonton Strikers and hopefully Free Footie will get money. Steve Sandor explains how it all works here:

https://the11.ca/theres-an-alphonso-...-to-find-more/

Comment

That is good money for a development league team to be getting.

Comment

I wonder if this will have any impact on our bid... and certainly hope not.

----

'No path forward' for X Games in Calgary

The X Games are no longer coming to Calgary, Mayor Naheed Nenshi said Thursday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...deau-1.5343680
              Last edited by IanO; 01-11-2019, 04:32 AM.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

I think you can pretty much count on it.

Comment

If we can't afford critical public infrastructure like health labs, why can we afford this?
                  “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

Working...
                  X