Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the Oilers could go deep, and that the WC is pretty wide open this year and there for the taking, but I think at some point some team with more vets, more accomplished playoff experience will eventually lean on the Oilers who will get eventually whittled down.

What we haven't seen, because regular season doesn't afford this, is playing good opponents every night, with stakes on the line, and then having to do that each series. For the Oilers to W the cup would probably require taking out SJ, Ana, Chicago, and then probably some even stronger EC champ. The Oilers have a handful of players that can play well for segments. What they don't have is a team that can weather say 2.5mths of playoff storm through around 24-28gp.

Before people bet their money on a cup win know that the Oilers record in the last few months against playoff teams isn't all that fantastic.

But all that said I wouldn't spend thousands of bucks seeing this through. People are betting whether they gamble or not. just everytime they pay 400bucks for a playoff game its pretty much spinning a wheel.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
      ^what concerns me with people saying Talbot will win it, is that nobody has seen Talbot go into a Stanley cup finals as a starter. He may be every bit as brilliant as he has been all year. But he may not be. I think the playoffs is a slightly different kettle of fish, some players rise up, but others don't. I hope Talbot does, and if he does, we have a chance, but every team that makes the playoffs has a chance.
      Even while Talbot is playing lights out and some of the best goaltending I've seen the team in front of him is giving up a constant diet of grade A scoring chances to opponents. In the last few games this hasn't mattered with the Sharks missing 2 of their most potent players and the Nucks being impotent. Still, Nucks get 2 goalposts in one of the games and an open net magic save by Sekera's stick. The Oilers won one game a couple a weeks ago where they edged out the opponent who hit 4 goalposts.

Oilers have been getting Talbot and the breaks. They give up too many scoring chances to be a fantastic playoff team. The other thing though worth noting is the first line is so damn good that trailing by 2 goals is less of a problem then it would be for most clubs. But they've relied on that too much and it puts Talbot on the stove almost all the time. Brossoit was beat glove hand on an average shot that Talbot stops all the time for fun. Its all Talbot all week, all month for the entire playoffs as the dropoff in backup is severe.

Other factors is how the zebras will call the action. Put whistles away and this hurts the Oilers. Call everything and the Oilers do better in games with a lot of penalties called.

Finally, how much could possibly be in our toplines tank? or Talbots. We've really rode these guys hard just to get here. After one hard playoff series we might be seeing them hit a wall. That's the primary difference, is that other clubs that have played a few round of playoffs know more what its like. I could see the oilers going gangbusters in 1st round and manage to beat the Sharks. But what will they have left?
      Last edited by Replacement; 11-04-2017, 09:19 AM.
      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
        I don't actually believe it for a second (blasphemy!), but these two guys think the Oilers can/will win the Cup, and it's kinda fun to read their reasoning:

https://www.nhl.com/news/why-edmonto...?tid=287344776
        http://fansided.com/2017/04/11/nhl-p...n-stanley-cup/
        They didn't list the biggest reason the Oilers have had as much verve as they have had this season. They are absolutely healthy. No significant games lost, Not one game lost due to injury of our topsix all season (this as we know is incredible and rarely happens with any club) and our top 4 D have been really healthy, as well as getting 70some healthy games from Talbot.

The reason I've been on the fence saying this might be one of this teams better chances is it is unlikely that they are ever this healthy again and unlikely that they ever get goaltending that is this out of this world again. Talbot, McD, Drai, you can tell they are approaching this as this year territory. That's been their attitude from the start. like the 1980, or 81 oilers sometimes that's the club that is most dangerous, a club that doesn't even know the pain involved in playoffs and that would see it as fun. Without the pressure more incumbent clubs face. Indeed that gloried Oilers team, the best of all time, struggled in 82,and 83 after experiencing expectations and no longer being a sleeper club. By 82 the Oilers were well scouted, well known, and a vet club with a lot of will, and that didn't like the brash kids, took us apart.

This is the sleeper year. I'd rather not that pundits say the Oilers could win the cup. I'd rather that around the league nobody thinks they can.

Comment

Originally posted by barhonda View Post
          ^

I was referring to:
          -10 year drought
          -CMD getting 100 points and the art ross and potentially hart trophies
          -New rink
          -Oilers ending off the season strong, and according to TSN the 5th best chance out of all playoff teams to win the cup?
          -Etc.

People are excited and ticket sales/prices don't lie.
          Obviously people are excited and the ticket prices don't lie. I'm just looking at it from more of a sociological or observing angle. its definitely a phenomenon, and its definitely off the charts here to a degree rarely found anywhere else. It was in 2006 as well. Ticket prices were high that year for playoff resales. There was very similar mania.

lets keep in mind as well that this is first round. Tickets are crazy expensive. If first round is 400bucks if this team reaches latter rounds the resale prices will be extraordinary. They invariably go up, as the face prices do. lets say hypothetically the team were to make the final. That means that the asking price for single tickets, cheapest ones, will be around 1k. With that also increasing as that series go's on. it was not uncommon for people to be spending 1-2K on a SC final game here in 2006. These are actually charted waters. But this happens in very few locations and it happens in no other city this size to the same degree.

Finally, the Social Worker side of me see's some of the costs involved, just like costs of gambling to families and I saw enough of that in 2006. Substance abuse too. Its interesting how much of a hangover there was in 2006 after game 7. For much more varied reasons than the team losing. So I do get mixed feelings about any priced mania and the other assorted mayhem and riots that end up happening. Its a real ride, and unlike countries that Celebrate Carnival, this ride can last for months. A lot of people get surprised at the effects of suddenly drinking heavily over an extended period of time and doing it several times a week for months whether they be at the game or watching in bars or parties..
          Last edited by Replacement; 11-04-2017, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards
            It wasn't a supply and demand thing. You're making that up replacement. It was a cost vs benefit thing. Adding more seats is very costly. The ideal arrangement/seating capacity was found for the space the arena is in. Adding another 1,500 seats isn't going to satisify the demand anyways.

You're out of touch again.

It also costs the most money to add the seats that you'll end up selling for the least amount of revenue. The arena is appropriately sized for Edmonton's market now and in to the future. It has 500 more seats than MSG does for hockey and is within 300-500 seats of Van/TO's arena's, for god's sake.

Comment

Important playoff computer/mobile device wallpaper backgrounds

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/fans/wallpapers
              www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                It wasn't a supply and demand thing. You're making that up replacement. It was a cost vs benefit thing. Adding more seats is very costly. The ideal arrangement/seating capacity was found for the space the arena is in. Adding another 1,500 seats isn't going to satisify the demand anyways.

It also costs the most money to add the seats that you'll end up selling for the least amount of revenue. The arena is appropriately sized for Edmonton's market now and in to the future. It has 500 more seats than MSG does for hockey and is within 300-500 seats of Van/TO's arena's, for god's sake.
                Vancouver is a ticket buying joke compared to Edmonton. Always has been and for any entertainment. They don't support concerts as well per pollstar, don't support NHL as well and don't support CFL as well. They blow their load on real estate and live the westcoast life. That's about it.

As per capacity of arena argument theres 14 NHL arenas with more capacity. Some of those would be bigger for maybe basketball, or other events, certainly not hockey. There would be no reason at all the Senators, Flames have bigger capacity rinks than Edmonton. Have to say even the Hawks numbers are shocking. I can just walk in there and get 60buck tickets, tons of them, for a 3 time SC winner. They were formerly thought of as one of the really great NHL markets. Right now its NY, Toronto, then Montreal and Edmonton, in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post

Vancouver is a ticket buying joke compared to Edmonton. Always has been and for any entertainment. They don't support concerts as well per pollstar, don't support NHL as well and don't support CFL as well. They blow their load on real estate and live the westcoast life. That's about it.

As per capacity of arena argument theres 14 NHL arenas with more capacity. Some of those would be bigger for maybe basketball, or other events, certainly not hockey. There would be no reason at all the Senators, Flames have bigger capacity rinks than Edmonton. Have to say even the Hawks numbers are shocking. I can just walk in there and get 60buck tickets, tons of them, for a 3 time SC winner. They were formerly thought of as one of the really great NHL markets. Right now its NY, Toronto, then Montreal and Edmonton, in that order.
                  Mind providing some stats/sourcing for your ticket prices other than anecdotal information? Sweeping statements in regards to supposed statistics is bad form - just saying.

Most studies I looked at show Chicago, Oilers, Toronto, Flames and Vancouver to be in at least the top 5 of the most expensive markets out there. Rangers drop out of the top 5, but are still in the top 10. http://blog.tiqiq.com/2016/10/2013-1...-prices-team/; https://www.teammarketing.com/public...20fci%2015.pdf.

Also, I paid no more than $80/ticket for the games I went to here in Edmonton, so cheap tickets can be had in our market, too.
                  Last edited by Moodib; 11-04-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moodib View Post
                    Originally posted by Replacement View Post

Mind providing some stats/sourcing for your ticket prices other than anecdotal information? Sweeping statements in regards to supposed statistics is bad form - just saying.

Most studies I looked at show Chicago, Oilers, Toronto, Flames and Vancouver to be in at least the top 5 of the most expensive markets out there. Rangers drop out of the top 5, but are still in the top 10. http://blog.tiqiq.com/2016/10/2013-1...-prices-team/; https://www.teammarketing.com/public...20fci%2015.pdf.

Also, I paid no more than $80/ticket for the games I went to here in Edmonton, so cheap tickets can be had in our market, too.

Even in the first link you provided Vancouver has dropped out. . How about as I've been posting what it actually costs to get in. Man, theres quite a few tickets to get into the Hawks playoff round at 60bucks.

Oilers pricing went up with the new building. Like I said in terms of STH ticket prices, playoffs, resales, etc I think Edmonton right now is up there and behind only Rangers, Leafs and Habs.

Even in 2014, in the Old rink, the Oilers were standing around 4th according to a similar source you noted. This for a club that hadn't made the playoffs in 10 years. Most teams in most pro sports would have trouble even selling tickets in that circumstance, let alone being a league leader.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...listed-1-to-30

This confirms what I was saying earlier that the Oilers playoff tickets are right up there. Oilers are 2nd only to the Leafs. Note that I was simply comparing lowest cost to get in, not average cost, in average, leafs are slightly higher, really by the slightest of margins. The graphic is pretty interesting.

https://tipofthetower.com/2017/04/11...ost-expensive/

Comment

ok. on to more important things. I'm a man of my word and Replacement I owe you 6 ciders. Happy to oblige and might even drink one. Only problem is I'm away this evening to Vegas til next week.(yep, putting
                      $100 on the Oil to win it all). I'll PM you upon my return and we'll set something up. Congrats. (grrrrrr)
                      He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by bpeters View Post
                        ok. on to more important things. I'm a man of my word and Replacement I owe you 6 ciders. Happy to oblige and might even drink one. Only problem is I'm away this evening to Vegas til next week.(yep, putting
                        $100 on the Oil to win it all). I'll PM you upon my return and we'll set something up. Congrats. (grrrrrr)
                        Thanks for being a stand up guy, thanks for the cider as well, heh, strongbow dry if possible

You're welcome to a couple of ciders.

enjoy Vegas.

Comment

After running my MythTV DVR since 2006-11-20 with "Edmonton Oilers" as a recording keyword I had a small WTF? moment this morning when I refreshed my recording schedule page and there were Oilers games queued to record. First time in its life that rule has been triggered past the regular season! Woohoo!
                          I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

Just out of curiosity: where will the Connect2Edmonton Oilers fans be watching the playoffs? And where do you plan to head out to (for those who plan to do so) to drink in the celebratory atmosphere before and/or after?
                            “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Comment

That's a good question.
                              www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
                                Just out of curiosity: where will the Connect2Edmonton Oilers fans be watching the playoffs? And where do you plan to head out to (for those who plan to do so) to drink in the celebratory atmosphere before and/or after?
                                Watching in my rec room man cave with a few others. HD surround sound and a stocked bar fridge all I need. Stocked with what I want it stocked with. Party in the mill hood. We keep it real here.

jk aside I get real serious about watching as people can tell and I'm that annoying guy that rewinds key plays and commentates...shudder.. like nobody knew that already, haha.

Friday we'll be downtown and luck of the draw we have Citadel tickets on an Oilers night. That's never happened in playoffs before.. so we'll be milling out and around and catching the score and check out 104 and area around the time the game is ending.

Comment

Working...
                                X