This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Highlander II View Post
    Or maybe no one else has 10 years of pent-up demand. After 5years of playoff appearances we could be dropped back down to Montreal's level.
    Bingo

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by trick91 View Post
      i have no idea where you got your research, but I have family in toronto who say that its minimum ticket there is $500 US plus
      Where I got my research is clicking on 16 different NHL team sites that are in the playoffs and clicking on game tickets from there. This was earlier today. Threre was quite a few Leafs tickets in the 300 buck price range and I checked 3 of the games. Strange that since I checked the Leafs board has a different splash page up and now are not allowing you to see resales until the actual tickets go on sale. Before it was showing resales prices. That's what I was looking at NHL ticket resales.
      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Calgary - 103 bucks... If you like seeing in the area where you get most of the ice blocked and are forced to watch TVs...

regular seats start at over 200.

I think Replacement needs to research better.
        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Wrong as usual Ian. None of the Canadian teams made the playoffs last season. No Canadian club has won since 93. No Canadian club has advanced far in the playoffs for quite a while. Demand is pent up in every Canadian market, not just this one. Its only that this market has shown a willingness to pay just about anything.

I've followed this for a longtime as well. almost every year I compare what I call "Ticket to ride" which is the lowest cost tickets to get in around the league. Even back in 06 Oilers tickets for that playoff run were higher than almost anywhere. Back then there was no pent up demand. the Oilers had made the playoffs fairly regularly in the seasons preceding that.

This is just a market that will snatch up tickets more than almost any other. For instance Metallica show at Commonwealth sold out immediately. When no others did. I could get pairs to any other Metallica show in NA when I checked, just here they were sold out.
          "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
            Calgary - 103 bucks... If you like seeing in the area where you get most of the ice blocked and are forced to watch TVs...

regular seats start at over 200.

I think Replacement needs to research better.
            Its prices to get in. I'm not looking at comparable. If you've been to a playoff game you know it doesn't matter where you sit. You can always end up walking around and getting a view from somewhere. I've done SR for several playoff games and for instance in 97, and 98 and its a good experience just being there. Also of note anybody can get behind somebody smaller in SR and in most rinks be able to see just fine.

Plus for those not familiar its literally impossible to have an unobstructed view in the playoffs to any game. People standing up, people leaning over blocking view, people all waving towels, banners, flags, puckhats, Number 1 hands etc. In playoffs its bedlam. You don't see a ton of the action. You PVR the game and watch it at home. You attend the game for the crowd action and phenomenon. But view is obstructed almost constantly in a playoff game. Actually standing room was almost the best view I ever had at Rexall for playoffs. Its worse now because you go to a game and everybody is holding their cell phones up taking shots and video, usually while standing up.

I've never been in Saddledome though before. Why would I?

ps just rechecked. 200 level seats available for 167bucks. Tons of seats available in Calgary in 100some buck range all in lowest priced tier. But still, so many seats in 2nd level in Saddledome less than 200bucks, less than half of ANY ticket resale at Rogers place.
            Last edited by Replacement; 10-04-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
              Demand is pent up in every Canadian market, not just this one. Its only that this market has shown a willingness to pay just about anything.

If you've been to a playoff game you know it doesn't matter where you sit.
              The problem is that many of us haven't been to a playoff game. You have an entire generation of kids (myself included) who have lived their entire 20's without the Oilers making the playoffs. This demographic was too poor to afford tickets in the 06 run due to university or college... and now have decent careers and willing to pay a arm and a leg for games.

I would say that demand is extremely pent up in Edmonton.

Comment

Originally posted by barhonda View Post
                Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                Demand is pent up in every Canadian market, not just this one. Its only that this market has shown a willingness to pay just about anything.

If you've been to a playoff game you know it doesn't matter where you sit.
                The problem is that many of us haven't been to a playoff game. You have an entire generation of kids (myself included) who have lived their entire 20's without the Oilers making the playoffs. This demographic was too poor to afford tickets in the 06 run due to university or college... and now have decent careers and willing to pay a arm and a leg for games.

I would say that demand is extremely pent up in Edmonton.
                Relative to other areas demand is always pent up in Edmonton market. For any ticket entertainment. Just checked again. I can get any number of seats to metallica in BC Place. Tons still that are unsold. In Edmonton, all of Commonwealth only some singles are left. All else are high priced resales. That's typical of this market which sells out faster than 90% of other markets.

My sympathies though for people that haven't had a chance to go see a playoff game. These ticket prices are making that pretty untenable for any younger people I know.

Comment

It's really the perfect storm for sky high ticket prices and people are willing to pay for it.

Comment

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

bwhahaha now that made me laugh.
                      Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

Originally posted by barhonda View Post
                        It's really the perfect storm for sky high ticket prices and people are willing to pay for it.
                        I have no idea how you or anybody figure 10 yrs of blatant org futility is a perfect storm formula to get people to beat down the doors to buy your product at any price. Looking at it from a perspective that is less unconditionally accepting I could even find it puzzling that Oilers fans willingness to pay has actually increased as a function of 10yrs without as is apparently being suggested.

Further, how is a collapsed and hurting economy a perfect storm to get people to dole out a ton of money on something as discretionary as hockey tickets?

From a marketing pov none of this makes a lot of sense nor does the decision to spend thousands of dollars on this in challenging and uncertain economic times.

You raised a point earlier that a lot of the motivation is peoples last experience with the playoffs 10yrs ago, couldn't afford to go then, but are now professional and will pay the moon now. I dunno, I see a lot of young 20's age people at games. tbh I don't quite know how they are there, how they are legitimately affording it, but it seems like a younger crowd is getting out at games.

It boggles my mind how that is the case.

Nothing that's occurred in Alberta, the economic calamity, the Fort McMurray fires, relocation and shutdowns should really be the perfect storm for this nature of spending right now. I'm not surprised by it, even expected it, but it fairly defies reason.

Comment

^

I was referring to:
                          -10 year drought
                          -CMD getting 100 points and the art ross and potentially hart trophies
                          -New rink
                          -Oilers ending off the season strong, and according to TSN the 5th best chance out of all playoff teams to win the cup?
                          -Etc.

People are excited and ticket sales/prices don't lie.

Comment

I don't actually believe it for a second (blasphemy!), but these two guys think the Oilers can/will win the Cup, and it's kinda fun to read their reasoning:

https://www.nhl.com/news/why-edmonto...?tid=287344776
                            http://fansided.com/2017/04/11/nhl-p...n-stanley-cup/
                            “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Comment

^what concerns me with people saying Talbot will win it, is that nobody has seen Talbot go into a Stanley cup finals as a starter. He may be every bit as brilliant as he has been all year. But he may not be. I think the playoffs is a slightly different kettle of fish, some players rise up, but others don't. I hope Talbot does, and if he does, we have a chance, but every team that makes the playoffs has a chance.

Comment

NHL wrote an article for each team and why they will win the cup.

Comment

Working...
                                X