Open Streets Aug 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Streets Aug 25

Not sure which forum this belongs in, so I'm putting it here.
    The city is trying out the Open Streets concept this sunday. Jasper ave will be blocked off to vehicles from 109 to 103 st. 104 st and 108 st will also be blocked off.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...enue-1.5245225

Ian pasted the info here
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

I would go but there is no "Motor Vehicle Commuter Parade"

Comment

Doesn't that happen on a daily basis

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Yanno ... could have been any street or avenue organizers chose and silly hall administrators approved.

But no, has to be one of only two east - west through routes,

Yeah - it's not anti-car. Sure.
          ... gobsmacked

Comment

Originally posted by McBoo View Post
            Yanno ... could have been any street or avenue organizers chose and silly hall administrators approved.

you say that like there were huge traffic jams or delays as a result of the closure. i neither heard of or experienced either...
            "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
              Originally posted by McBoo View Post

you say that like there were huge traffic jams or delays as a result of the closure. i neither heard of or experienced either...
              I doubt there were, but the greater concern with that being how few drivers bother to venture DT on a Sunday what with learned experience and all.

The learned experience I have, developed through years of attempts, is DT feels closed on Sundays. Even since all the latest impetus of the Arena, AGA, RAM, etc.

To that end it would have been nice to have a better description of what would be on, and open, at Open streets. The descriptions of this event did not properly entail all that was apparently occurring at the event. Also important that all businesses have prior notice of the event.
              "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Bold Idea Alert: Why limit these events to just summer? Host another one of these in one of the weekends in early December on Jasper Ave. Holiday themed Open Streets. Get a picture with Santa station in Beaver Hills Park. Dump a couple truck loads of snow into a small toboggan hill for the kids. Borrow that wheeled train from the zoo (does that even exist anymore?) and throw some holiday decore on it and run it up and down Jasper. Ensure lighting is very good and warm. Have some hot chocolate and coffee vendors. Give people a reason to enjoy winter.
                I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Comment

Originally posted by nickv View Post
                  Bold Idea Alert: Why limit these events to just summer? Host another one of these in one of the weekends in early December on Jasper Ave. Holiday themed Open Streets. Get a picture with Santa station in Beaver Hills Park. Dump a couple truck loads of snow into a small toboggan hill for the kids. Borrow that wheeled train from the zoo (does that even exist anymore?) and throw some holiday decore on it and run it up and down Jasper. Ensure lighting is very good and warm. Have some hot chocolate and coffee vendors. Give people a reason to enjoy winter.
                  This already happens on 124th for All Is Bright.

Comment

^

it should also be happening - with some variations - for santa's parade of lights although not having it's original destination at sir winston churchill square likely makes some of the agenda still a bit problematic. last year's event was incorporated into the grey cup parade (which is not an annual event) as the city didn't want two parade closures in close proximity to each other.
                    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Was trying to get to River Road.

Good luck with that. Could have taken a bus.

Oh wait - there are no buses going there.

(I do have a bus pass and support public transit - but this could have been done with equal success and so much less hassle)
                      ... gobsmacked

Comment

Working...
                      X